Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here 5.1 (which sounds best?)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pinkrudy, Jan 12, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member Thread Starter

So i finally got a decent digital (cd/dvd/blu-ray)player. after being pretty much vinyl only for the past 10 years.
    I'm really enjoying 5.1 mixes of my favourite albums at the moment.

So i put on the wish you were here SACD and listen. trying different compression settings/pure direct on or off/source direct on or off...etc
    And i couldn't come up with a sound i was 100% happy with. In contrast the dsotm SACD blew me away.

So then i decide to try the 5.1 PCM from the immersion and found it delivered what i wanted. SACD sounded a bit more soft and rounded. The blu-ray had a bit more edge/bite i was looking for.

I know AP rereleased the SACD again in 2018. I don't know if the mastering was different or just a repress. So i'll add it to the poll just in case.

2. thetman

thetman Forum Resident

I have the SACD, I think it sounds good. Haven't heard the b-ray so can't compare,
    aren't the 2016 and 2018 the same thing?

mark winstanley likes this.
  3. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member Thread Starter

i dont know if they are the same.

Turns out the the first edition was should be SACD 2011.......not 2016. whoops

4. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

2011 and 2018 SACD editions are both exactly the same, except for logos on their packaging

Wouldn't be surprised if the ABSENCE of an EMI logo tilts the balance of votes in the 2018's favour, however — a delicious layer of irony in that Pink Floyd themselves became the 'suits' at the record label

The Blu-ray disc in the Immersion edition has known faulty copies out there — buyer beware

Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
    thetman and pinkrudy like this.
  5. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I have the 2011 SACD and the Immersion Blu-ray. Never did a direct comparison but would assume they sound very similar. The two SACDs should sound identical as they have the same mix. The 2018 SACD is just a reissue of the 2011 SACD.
    What is the known issue with the Immersion set Blu-ray? Curious as I don't have any issues with my Blu-ray.

6. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Brain-damage.co.uk sez:

mark winstanley likes this.
  7. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

I love the 2011 aacd.

As everyone says the 2018, is just a reissue.
    I haven't had a chance to listen to the bluray yet.
    Some folks say the quad mix is best.

8. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

The quad mix is different, but I think the 5.1 mixes are all the same.

9. I_luv_5.1

I_luv_5.1 Active Member

The immersion box has both the sacd version and the original quad mix .
    The original quad mix is superior and was overseen by the band , the sacd version was left in the capable
    Hands of James Guthrie , but without the band’s input .

10. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

I’ve noticed the gaps between songs are quite long on the blu ray 5.1. It’s actually making me now consider getting the SACD version. Anyone else notice this and why are the gaps so friggen long!!??

11. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Never mind, I think I figured it out. When it’s displaying video content there are annoying gaps. The album proper plays uninterrupted.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.