Pink Floyd - Works

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Larry C. McGinnis III, Jul 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Larry C. McGinnis III

Larry C. McGinnis III Hyperactive! Thread Starter

I pulled it out and played it yesterday for the first time in years (I first got it on my birthday on Cassette some 20-25 years ago) on CD and it still rings very peculiar to me. Was it actually a concept comp album? I totally don't get the Furry animals inclusion. With the sound effects tying things together on the first side, I don't find that cohesiveness on the second side.

Does anyone know any inside dope on the reason for the album, or what sector of the public it was aimed for?

I would appreciate it

bhazen likes this.
  2. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

It was aimed at the sector of the public with disposable income.

3. DaveTheRave

DaveTheRave Forum Resident

I think their former record company pulled it together without their permission. Is an official/legit compilation but not a real Pink Floyd album.

The version of Embryo sucks. They should have put in a live version from the BBC radio shows.

4. Larry C. McGinnis III

Yes, the studio and live are completely different animals. I wish they laid it down the way it was played live

JulesRules, DrBeatle and Tristero like this.
  5. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

A head-scratcher of a compilation.

Two years after A Collection Of Great Dance Songs Pink Floyd's American label Capitol saw fit to release this compilation.
    If I'm correct the DSOTM-songs are quad mixes, but I'm not in the position to verify this right now at 11.40 at night.
    I would hang on to it because of Embryo, because judged by the band's opinion of it it's highly unlikable it will ever see a future release.

6. Larry C. McGinnis III

That's interesting that the DSOTM tracks may be Quad mixes. They are definitely re-mixed and very good and unique. I of course will hang onto it as I have every Floyd release in multiples. But in the shuffle of life "Dance Songs" has left my possession. I need to get off my a#$ and get another

beartrackrecords likes this.
  7. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I like the See Emily-Species segue, but Works was one of the first Floyd albums I heard so I'm a bit sentimental about it.

deredordica likes this.
  8. floyd

floyd Senior Member

I have the vinyl LP. Did this get a CD release? I can't remember.

Larry C. McGinnis III likes this.
  9. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

Yes have the LP and CD versions.
    Yes it's quad for dsotm tracks, making it an interesting compilation

floyd and Larry C. McGinnis III like this.
  10. amonjamesduul

amonjamesduul Forum Resident

When this came out i already had the full Floyd discography but still played works all the time for some reason.As others have said ,a rather predictable comp except for Several Species .......WTF?

Larry C. McGinnis III likes this.
  11. Larry C. McGinnis III

It received a CD release very early on. I have the CD, I may still have the cassette at the other house

floyd likes this.
  12. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I only have this on cassette, and since I just recently got a tape deck working again, I'll give this a play again sometime soon. It has been years!

13. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

I only have this for the studio version of "The Embryo" which, while not as good as the live versions, I still need to have being a completist. But other than that, I very rarely listen to it.

14. DaveTheRave

DaveTheRave Forum Resident

In a way they did. Parts of the live version made it into Echoes and Atom Heart Mother.

15. drumzNspace

drumzNspace Forum Resident

I love it. It's so random it's great.

16. Charlie Z.

Charlie Z. Forum Resident

Bought it on CD as a 16 year old completely enamored with all things Pink Floyd. Was stoked to find a vinyl copy two years ago for $10. A fun compilation.

17. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

Collectors need this because of the DSOTM tracks (quad remixed for stereo), the two early singles in "fake stereo" and of course Embryo, although that became available on the V/A 3cd A Breath Of Fresh Air some years ago.

18. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

There are also some unique cross-fades between certain tracks (Emily/Species, Fearless/Brain Damage).... plus a slightly different mix of "One of These Days" in which some of the sound FX from "Speak to Me" are heard during the opening wind noise.

19. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

Ah yes, I forgot about that!

20. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

This album was aimed at the punters who bought The Wall and wanted to explore the back catalog; how else to explain its cover of an anonymous Joe defacing the side of a battleship to show his love for his favorite group?

Also, the can of pink paint on the back cover (which says Dark Side was released in February; sorry, it was March); that's classy...NOT!

What's inside? Well, there are some essential Floyd tracks ("One of These Days", "Arnold Layne", "See Emily Play", "Set the Controls...", "Free Four") plus some rarities ("Embryo", Dark Side quad mixes) and a WTF choice on the compiler's part ("Several Species..."? Really? You couldn't show some love for Atom Heart Mother with "If" or "Fat Old Sun"?)

Essential? Only for "Embryo" so don't spend too much on it.

Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.
  21. jeffd7030

jeffd7030 I can't complain, but sometimes I still do.

I recently found a fair LP copy for $5. I thought it was a odd choice of tracks but was curious.
    I knew some of the songs sounded different than originals - thanks to this thread now I know why.
    I like the quad versions!

22. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

I've got the, I believe, 1971 BBC show with that long version of Embryo and to tell you the truth...its sounds as good as a legit release. Sounds like it came from a pre-broadcast tape. It is a peculiar collection though..Works is...as the Dark Side tunes are apparently stereo mixdowns of the old quad mix from the 70s.

Ooops...I guess that'd already been mentioned. Does 2nd place count ? :D

23. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I've never owned it. I was always partial to Relics. :)

bhazen likes this.
  24. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I know I'm weird, but I thought it was great that they included "Several Species." I agree with your last paragraph though.

deredordica, kendo and mBen989 like this.
  25. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.