Pink Floyd's album The Dark Side Of The Moon has been voted the greatest rock album on Louder

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve M., Jan 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim N

Jim N Forum Resident

Matter of fact it’s all dark.

Goggen likes this.
  2. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

I was brought up on Pink Floyd albums, but I recall listening to Dark Side of The Moon at 17 years old one Christmas at my friends place. A load of us were there, all getting stoned, and one of my friends brought some light projector show along that you pointed at the wall and it put on a colourful display. Red, greens, blues, all making patterns. We all sat their stoned out of our heads, watching that and listening to DSOTM. Lovely stuff.

3. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

Top ten? No.

4. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

Well, the poll results say otherwise. It's well loved classic album, so I see no reason why it shouldn't be there.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  5. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

Really? Next thing you will say that Santa Claus doesn't exist.

6. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

They sure do!

7. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

Except that the lyrics are far removed from any kind of escapism, and the cover is very stark and simple too. I mean I have never taken any drugs and I love this album...

The Bishop and Devin like this.
  8. Devin

Devin Time's Up

No drugs needed to take this trip. But certain ones can enhance it in certain ways for certain people. And that's for certain.

9. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

I'm with Dave. But Dark Side is iconic in the same way that Sgt Pepper is. A complete package of music and artwork that does as you say resonate.

No Blue Skies, JulesRules and Devin like this.
  10. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Out of the top ten listed? Which ones?
    By the way, there is no greatest rock album.

11. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

It is weird that people seem to be struggling with the definition of rock. It is a very wide-ranging genre. Pink Floyd, Ramones, Stones, Dylan, Sabbath and more.

Terrapin Station, Timmy84 and Devin like this.
  12. Luisboa

Luisboa Forum Resident

Imho i think Dark Side Of The Moon really deserves this title.
    Music
    Lyrics
    Sound
    Concept
    Cover
    Everything almost perfect.

Altough off course is impossible to compare pink Floyd with iron maiden, iron maiden with ramones, etc.

13. Devin

Devin Time's Up

And even some albums with no guitar whatsoever on them. For instance U.K.'s second album Danger Money is totally guitarless. Yet it's still classified as rock.

dormouse likes this.
  14. This is the way I feel too. I’m 32 but I’ve been listening to “DSOTM” for 20+ years easily and every time I listen to it there is an experience and something new to discover. Can’t say that about any other album, IMO. I know the notes and melodies that are approaching and it just drives my love for the album even deeper in.

JulesRules likes this.
  15. Devin

Devin Time's Up

Still my fave album through headphones.

16. Leroyd

Leroyd Forum Resident

Being of the opinion that Bon Scott was the man, I would put 'Powerage' ahead of 'Back in Black'. I can totally live with DSOTM being no. 1. However 'Appetite for destruction' at no. 2 is a huge surprise.

17. Veni Vidi Vici

Veni Vidi Vici Forum Resident

For someone who has never taken any drugs, you are admirably confident explaining how the drug-addled would react to this album :tiphat:

18. JulesRules

I know that many people have listened to it (and PF in general) with the aid of certain substances. And I can see how especially tracks like On the Run, Great Gig or Any Colour You Like lend themselves to be enjoyed that way. I just don't like it when the Floyd are reduced to something you can only enjoy when you're stoned... (not saying you did that, but it's something I have read several times).

Man at C&A likes this.
  19. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I know! Ridiculous. It should be higher.

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  20. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I like Dark Side of the Moon and certainly regard it as a good album. The production has aged incredibly well and it's certainly transcended it's time very impressively.

Personally I don't rate it as higher than very good as I don't think the songwriting is great throughout. I don't like Money but I get that many do. I think that Any Colour You Like is a definitive filler track on an album that is short anyway. It waffles on aimlessly and the keyboard sounds are the only part of the album that date it to 1973.

I don't think the lyrics are anything special on DSOTM. Some good lines though. I think a lot of the reputation of the album is down to it's superb production and sound effects (clock alarms, heart beating, cash tills) as well as the inspired idea of people talking. All of this is very well executed and sounds fantastic, but it's not sublime songwriting, which is what I'd expect on the Greatest Album of All Time. The musicianship is amazing on it. All band members playing to their strengths without ever giving the impression of showing off. They all shine on DSOTM. Superb artwork too. I love that you can join multiple copies of the sleeve together. I think the posters and stickers haven't aged well though.

A fine record, worthy of immense praise and massive success, but not one I consider the best ever. There are many albums I like more, even Floyd ones. The end of the album - Brain Damage and Eclipse is one of the best climaxes to an album and ending with the heartbeat, back to how it started, is a very satisfying ending touch. It feels like a complete album.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
  21. Hollow Horse

Hollow Horse To pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

"thousands of votes being placed for more than 500 different albums" doesn't sound much of a turnout but either way, I eschew these kind of things.

More often than not, one will say OK Computer, another will say The Queen Is Dead while all the time it's what the 8ndividual likes that counts. If you add that up, then nothing is definitively the 'best'.

Man at C&A likes this.
  22. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

Man at C&A likes this.
  23. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

Whoa! Stop there! I would rate them as some of the finest in the rock/pop canon. Absolutely killer. Roger was on fire with these lyrics and they resonate as strongly now as they did when I first heard the album.

Sondek, Devin and Man at C&A like this.
  24. JulesRules

I think Roger improved as a lyricist after DSOTM (not that I think the lyrics are bad or anything), but the band chemistry sort of fizzled away. They never sounded as inspired as on "Any Colour You Like" on any following record.

25. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

Greatest hits should NEVER be on greatest albums lists. Otherwise that's all these lists would be - favorite artists with greatest hits compilations.

NYSPORTSFAN likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.