Pink Floyd's album The Dark Side Of The Moon has been voted the greatest rock album on Louder

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve M., Jan 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Khamakhazee

Khamakhazee Forum Resident

Good list but I would have put Led Zeppelin I on there instead of IV and removed A Night at the Opera and put on Sticky Fingers.

Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.
  2. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I genuinely only think they're mostly OK. Time and Brain Damage are excellent though. 'Holding on in quiet desperation is the English way' is my favourite line on the album. I've been able to relate to that one a few times.

JulesRules likes this.
  3. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

This is why it's such a loved album. A lot of people get a lot of different things from it. I earlier slated Any Colour You Like as blatant filler, but for people to like it like you do, then it isn't filler.

4. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

Yeah, I think it's a great way to bridge Us & Them and the finale, plus it includes a call-back to the two versions of Breathe so it somehow unifies the concept. I also like the live versions from the 70s, the 74 version is astonishingly brutal! Not a fan of how they played it on Pulse though, it sounds diluted and thin... disappointing...

I always liked the fact that DSOTM was road-tested. This meant they could smooth out the issues of attention spans and such, and the album wouldn't be as good if they hand't played it live before.

Man at C&A likes this.
  5. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident

It’s a very good album but still not as good as Meddle IMO.

J_D__, MitchLT and Man at C&A like this.
  6. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

My Dad saw them on that tour! I'm not sure where. I'll have to ask. He used to have a bootleg LP from it too.

It's a shame bands couldn't do that now as DSOTM is the most focussed Floyd album and that will be why, but nowadays the entire album would be all over the world before release.

JulesRules likes this.
  7. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Iron Maiden, Metallica, and GNR.

And Sticky Fingers is the greatest rock album, IMO.

8. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Agreed, Meddle's my favourite. It still has elements of psychedelic Floyd that DSOTM is missing for better or worse.

J_D__ and bherbert like this.
  9. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

As a big Maiden fan I don't think Number of the Beast is as good as it's made out to be. It's a big album in their career, Bruce's first and the one that broke them worldwide, but I think it has three relatively weak tracks (Invaders because of the naff chorus - the rest is great, Gangland and especially 22 Acacia Avenue). Like Queen's News of the World it's a very good and popular album, one of their most commercial, but there's better Maiden albums.

10. GonnaGetcha

GonnaGetcha Forum Resident

Ouch. I'd consider that a career highlight. I will agree Number of the Beast is not the album and suggest Powerslave as their flawless masterpiece.

Man at C&A likes this.
  11. GonnaGetcha

GonnaGetcha Forum Resident

As far as i'm concerned, Dark Side of the Moon earns all the accolades it gets.

12. Timmy84

Timmy84 Forum Resident

It's just a list. Don't get why people are up in arms about it? :sigh: And the "this is not really rock, man!" crowds, can you chill?

Terrapin Station and Sondek like this.
  13. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Not familiar enough with Iron Maiden, so I can't comment on them. G'n'R is more New York Dolls than anything else, McKagan was in a punk band, they did punk covers (good on them for getting close to Rocket From The Tombs for covering "Ain't It Fun" and of course the Damned's "New Rose"), and the first album had a sleazy energy that definitely put it close to bands like the Dead Boys. After the first album, barring a couple of songs from Use Your Illusion, that all kind of vanished. Metallica were big Misfits fans, did punk covers, but I don't hear any punk in their music, which I can spot in early G'n'R. Your ears may vary.
    I would certainly put early AC/DC and Motorhead closer to punk.

14. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

I think it's their most accessible.

Man at C&A likes this.
  15. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Definitely. It has their two best known songs on it.

Sondek likes this.
  16. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Now if only we can finally get some forum discussion going on the best-sounding version.

17. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Everyone knows that's the most near impossible to find CD version.

18. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Every Picture Tells a Story
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wish these two album gems were on the list. Or at least one.

Ryan_Pretzel likes this.
  19. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Fool!

It’s the mint U.K. first pressing vinyl with -1 543688 DGJKUYGG $&@#%* Derp1234 in the deadwax!

:angel:

Man at C&A likes this.
  20. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

You've just rendered my Japanese black triangle CD substandard!

21. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident

2011 remaster > black triangle

:hide:

Man at C&A likes this.
  22. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

You're kidding me!

Somerset Scholar and bherbert like this.
  23. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

I have the Holy Grail. Blasphemy! :laugh:

bherbert likes this.
  24. Devin

Devin Time's Up

...and "Thought I'd something more to say". Love that.

Man at C&A likes this.
  25. angelees

angelees Forum Resident

Decent list. DSOTM has the advantage of being a cultural lightning rod, like many of the albums in this top ten. Many of these are ‘canon’ choices, but they are good albums. I’m still taking WYWH over DSOTM, personally.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.