Pink Floyds Dark Side of the Moon, best vinyl version?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Plissken99, Mar 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TimB

TimB Pop, Rock and Blues for me!

German, Dutch and English (on the UK the first pressing is the best but the 2nd and 3rd pressings are very good as well) pressings are the best, plus the MFSL 200 gram pressing (the 2 MFSL vinyl's are the most quiet, but some do not like the EQ on the OMR compared to the UHQF vinyl). 30th Anv to me is very good.

2. dkurtis

dkurtis sonoftheFather

Any M-, Japanese Floyd pressing at a fair price is an amazing find. :cheers:

3. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

Yeah, that's the one. I may never actually own a clean early UK pressing, but I would like to someday hear one, just to know what it sounds like.

4. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

5. Quakerism

Quakerism Lean into what frightens you.

He says nothing about German pressings, unless I missed it and in the beginning especially he seems lost and unprepared to make this video. But I will grant you....he has a nice stack of Pink vinyl.

ODShowtime likes this.
  6. Leonthepro

It is a bit lazily done without a script and such, but I would not assume that he likes the German press more than the UK or even the 30th.

7. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

Mike gives some high marks for the 30th anniversary cut...…..I concur. :righton:

8. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

Yeah I noticed that. The early German pressing deserves a mention. Man he has no love for old US pressings. They sound great until you hear a real banger copy.

He paid $1,500 for a minty 1st UK. Good lord! I paid like $40 for a VG+ A3/B3. At some point the law of diminishing returns has to kick in and stop you. The most I ever paid for a Pink Floyd record was the Japanese Odeon red vinyl AHM complete w/ OBI. But that wasn't anywhere near $1,500!

Dr. Funk likes this.
  9. Quakerism

I would like to know the source of the German pressing compared to the U.K.
    This is the German runout matrix:

05 249 A-2
    05 249 B-2

Or on a second copy

05 249 A4 (no hyphen)
    05 249 B-2

ODShowtime likes this.
  10. Leonthepro

Likely a copy tape.

11. Leonthepro

I thought he was paying so much cus he lives in the US. UK pressings are hard to find there.
    And true mint is hard to get.

12. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

Mid-80's US pressings (Capitol rainbow label) are pretty great. They switched to a higher quality vinyl and it's immediately noticeable in that a NM copy will be dead quiet.

13. Solace

Solace Forum Resident

I had the A4/B2 German pressing from (I think) 1976 and it was too bright. The chorus of Us and Them set my teeth on edge. A later 80s pressing was the same.

14. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

The 30th does sound a little bright to me. There is an edge to it. Same with the 2016 (in terms of a sharper edge) and also the Pro Use.

I prefer my Dark Sides smooth and chill.

15. mikizee

mikizee Forum Resident

I have an Aussie Quad QHVL 804 A-3/B-3. It sounds sensational. Bought it for about $8.

16. Quakerism

There is also the 1978 limited edition picture disc mastered by Capitol with runout matrix :

SEAX-1-11962 G 1 [MASTERED BY CAPITOL]
    SEAX-2-11902 G 2 [MASTERED BY CAPITOL]

Leonthepro likes this.
  17. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

I guess it depends on when he bought it. Before the vinyl revival lots of stuff was cheaper, but I would imagine information and international vinyl commerce were much less. Nowadays it's $20 to get stuff shipped from the UK from Discogs. I do it all the time. I would hope I could get a nice first pressing for less than $1,000 but who knows I've never tried. Looks like $600-$800 for a NM these days but of course you could spend $1,500 if you wanted to.

You are correct that people living in the UK/ Europe have a puncher's chance of finding one in the wild, that won't happen here in the US!

18. Leonthepro

Dont have the 30th, but I agree the 2016 is a little sharp in spots. The cymbals sound really shrill compared to MFSL or UKs for example.
    The pro use I find smooth still, the only problem is that the guitars get too loud, or perhaps they are bright and Im confusing it.
    On the other hand I actually find the UK to be slightly too low end, making drums a bit muffled.
    Maybe the 30th would be perfect for me.

19. Leonthepro

Im sure I could find a Mint Blue triangle for 400$ or less in my locals store here for example, he wouldnt take more for it from a business standpoint after its EX to true mint.
    VG+ maybe 100 - 150$ is my guess.
    The cheapest Ive seen a VG+ copy go for in recent years is 50$ and I wish I was bidding that day.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
    ODShowtime likes this.
  20. johan.pretorius

johan.pretorius Well-Known Member

Jam757 and Floyd Crazy like this.
  21. dubious title

dubious title Forum Resident

Thanks for posting that. A fun watch.

Yes, the disregard for the early US pressings is strange. Don't hear any "weird" EQ choices on my first US Wally, and considering it's less than great condition it plays with little background noise. Also not really a fan of his third pick (30th), which sounds a little lifeless to me. Unsurprisingly a second UK is his second choice. Many here, who don't have the money or desire to track down a first UK really like this one, as do I. I wonder if he owns those 35? copies of DSOTM.

ODShowtime likes this.
  22. Leonthepro

I honestly doubt the A2/B2 is much better if at all than the A3/B3.

ODShowtime, Giorgio and dubious title like this.
  23. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

Yeah......I think Mike was a little rough on the US pressings. I have a nice double sided Wally and a Wally/Gene hybrid (Gene Thompson) that sound much better than "lower tier". In fact, I prefer my US to my 30th when in regards to the top end. All of this coming from a guy who has never heard a UK.

Several years ago I had a German pressing I picked up for cheap.....I wasn't much impressed, and traded it for a couple of Led Zeppelin SHM cd's. :D

24. xfilian

xfilian Forum Resident

I have both. There is virtually nothing in them. Infact, if I had to pick one it would be the A3.

Floyd Crazy, Giorgio and Leonthepro like this.
  25. Leonthepro

Its likely done at nearly the same time, same place, same gear, by the same guy. Some of the later pressings like A11/B10 might be worse because thats years later and may be done with less care, less expertise or worse source but Im often tired of people hunting for lower number or lettered pressings when it doesnt matter.
    Columbia pressings are a good example, just because the 1A lacquer was done an hour before the 1B one doesnt change much of anything, at that point the age and wear on the particular stamper or mother used matters more, which is probably why some may prefer later numbers or letters at times, like in your case.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.