Pink Floyds Dark Side of the Moon, best vinyl version?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Plissken99, Mar 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Instant Karma

Instant Karma Forum Resident

Hi Marcb. You are absolutely correct. There is absolutely no appreciable difference between sides on my modest system. At least not any from what I could hear.
    I totally agree that we sometimes get caught up on the "holy grail" chase when there really is little to no difference between pressings. I do think that the system you are listening on would come into play as well.

2. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

On my modest, and old setup, it's the Bernie / 2016 cut. I sold the 30th, and am keeping the UK / HTM SQ, mainly because I'd take too much of a hit, if I attempted to sell it ( I overpaid ).

3. xfilian

xfilian Forum Resident

Picked up an A3/B3 Grammophone copy of this recently. It is not in perfect condition - there is a low cackle throughout and several loud pops. However, the sound quality is utterly sublime and the best I have ever heard this album sound. Very dynamic - subtle when it needs to be and plenty of heft at the right time. One of those fantastic pieces of vinyl that you can keep cranking it but it never sounds loud - it just gets more pleasurable. Will be keeping my eye out for a cleaner copy of this version now.

4. Floyd Crazy

Floyd Crazy Senior Member

Just picked up early UK A-3 B-3 Gramophone company label copy from 1973 and it is stunning,had later versions but this knocks them back,just went into my vintage vinyl store today saw this one and bought it for £15 bargain,he had just got it in had not had time to check matrix! Well I did and gave him the money and came home cleaned it and put it on odd crack and pop but after playing a second time much better and oh man the sound on this just wonderful,my lucky day.

5. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

Yes analog is superb :)

Im glad you have an early release!!

Floyd Crazy likes this.
  6. xfilian

xfilian Forum Resident

Glad you got one Floyd Crazy and that your findings were similar to mine. Incredible experience especially when you have Dark Side hundreds of times before and know every nuance of the album. Incidentally I recently picked up a A2/B2 on Ebay for a ‘reasonable’ price as it was missing the postcards and posters and the seller had not listed any grading details. In the event, it is in VG condition but sound wise I would not say it is a step up from the A3/B3. Infact, although I have not done a back to back, I think I slightly preferred the A3/B3 - from memory it had more clarity and depth.

Dude111 and Floyd Crazy like this.
  7. Floyd Crazy

Floyd Crazy Senior Member

Thanks just lucky on friday, I agree A-3 B-3 is now my preferred Dark Side vinyl,have had many versions of this classic but think this one was just so spot on,and on playing it now four times its Quietened down a fair bit,was very dusty when I first got it,but after a clean and a few plays I find most old vinyl settles down,i always give albums a good few spins before I put away in my growing collection,cheers mate enjoy.
    FC.

8. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

Had to reread this post a couple of times. :laugh:

9. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

I still haven't heard the Pro Use. It is the one big version missing from my collection. I will get one next year probably.

For me the UK A2/B2 and A3/B3 are the best, no comparison. There is no ceiling to the highs, they just soar.

Later UKs are nice too. I have an A8/B7 or thereabouts which is my regular play copy.

I know it is not a popular opinion but I am also a fan of the MOFI. Some don't like the EQ, but for me the liquid & laid back presentation just works.

10. Quakerism

Quakerism Serial number 141467.

I don’t buy online or in record stores. I prefer the thrill of the hunt so I get what I can find. I found a German A2/B2 ....Star and boxed D on the back cover.....very good condition. I was struggling through my tenth Frampton Comes Alive with no hope in sight for an interesting find and ...there she was. I own many German releases of 60s and 70s classics so this one fits right in. $10 and it sounds great to me. It’s funny, the cheaper the record is.....the better it sounds. Or something like that.

ODShowtime likes this.
  11. Hollow Horse

Hollow Horse To pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

I quite like this one...

[​IMG]

Floyd Crazy likes this.
  12. Quakerism

Quakerism Serial number 141467.

. EatMorChickin

13. Mbe

Mbe Forum Resident

Manger plus de poulet

Pardon me :)

14. Solace

Solace Forum Resident

My preferences (in order):

UK 3rd SHVL 804 A5/B5 - Everything in its right place - just superb. An amazingly enjoyable listen. I've never heard a A3/B3 but I can't believe it's that much better than this. My copy may be crackly and poppy as anything but it's what I always go back to.

Japan 1st EOP-80778
    - A close second, and does almost everything right. Just doesn't quite sound as right as the UK A5/B5 3rd pressing above

Japan 2nd EMS-80324
    - Very quiet and quite enjoyable but things aren't exactly where they should be. I don't think I've ever listened to it all the way through, which is a sure sign that something's not quite right.

EU 2016 Bernie Grundman cut
    - Good but not that exciting. It has never made me sit back and listen to the wonder of Rick Wright's openning organ part in Us and Them the way the A5/B5 has.

EU 30th Anniversary 2003
    - Cannot get on with this one at all. No, no, no, NO. Boomy, tubby bass - sounds like the very personnal EQ choices of its mastering engineer. I've tried more than once but have had to face the fact we're never going to be friends.

German Sonopress 1C 064-05 249 -4/-2
    - Lots of detail and separation here, which starts off so well. That openning organ part in Us and Them and Dick Parry's breathy sax part sound great. Then the chorus comes in and you suddenly realise how bright it is.

15. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Well, I thought I did really well when I got a decently priced 1979 non-italicized Mofi last week.

I’ve given it three listens, trying to will something out of it that’s not there...a half decent midrange.

So many warnings on the forum, but at least I now know from experience...the reported Smiley EQ for this one is accurate and disappointing. Us and Them has virtually all the life sucked out of it.

My original Canadian Harvest is still better. I hate saying that, considering the money spent.

Oh well! I got a superb RL of Rainbow Bridge for 2 bucks, so I feel like I broke even.

So, in the ROYGBIV competition it’s Jimi 1 Pink Floyd 0

Johnny Vinyl and Echoes Myron like this.
  16. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident

Try the 2016 reissue. You can get it reasonably cheap right now too as it is still in print.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  17. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Thanks!

18. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

19. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Probably in the minority, but I enjoy the EQ, very smooth sounding. Spin it often. A different take on Dark Side.

Johnny Vinyl and Dr. Funk like this.
  20. dubious title

dubious title Forum Resident

I have the UK and Yogoslavia !!! Quads, A third Japanese and a recently acquired tatty $15 first US Winchester Wally. That US copy sounds exceptional, very well balanced and super smooth analog goodness. Would be fun to get an early UK but, by golly does the Wally sound good. The Quads are a very fun and worthwhile listen too.

Aftermath likes this.
  21. dubious title

dubious title Forum Resident

This is the US cut I have -

Pink Floyd - The Dark Side Of The Moon

• Matrix / Runout (B-Side Runout Etching (Variant 3)): SMAS-2-11163-F4#2 –––◁ Wly
    • Matrix / Runout (A-Side Runout Etching (Variant 6)): SMAS-1-11163-F18 –––◁

22. Mister Charlie

Mister Charlie "Music Is The Doctor Of My Soul " - Doobie Bros.

23. dkurtis

dkurtis sonoftheFather

I ended up with about 10 different pressings of this album. MFSL, three different quads from different countries, US original, Japanese Pro Use, 2016 reissue and a few others. I decided there was some thinning needed and the MFSL and colored vinyl quads were the absolute worst of the bunch after a shoot-out.

izgoblin likes this.
  24. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

I came across an EMI Japanese Dark Side (1974, I think) at a record store last weekend... in mint condition. Seriously, the record looked (and to my happiness, sounded) like it had never been played. It was missing the obi, but I didn't care. Got a good price on it, too - only a bit more than the new reissue, which I also have. My only experience with DSOTM on vinyl is the new reissue, a 1970s US copy and now this one. This Japanese find I got plays even quieter than the new one, and I like the sound a bit more, too - less bright and trebly. I like it more than my old US copy too, though that possibly could have be affected by surface noise and number of plays on it. I've never heard an original UK, the MSFL or the Pro Use... how much better are those (if any) than the EMI Japanese pressing, to anyone who knows?

25. Solace

Solace Forum Resident

Is it the EMS-80324 (orange labels) that you’re talking about?
    Pink Floyd = ピンク・フロイド* - The Dark Side Of The Moon = 狂気
    I had that one once upon a time and you’re right, it’s almost surreally quiet (mine sounded mint as well). In my opinion it’s really good, but there are a few EQ choices which put it behind a Japanese first or an early UK. A great find nevertheless.

Jam757, Echoes Myron and dkurtis like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.