Pioneer 563A Combo Player

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by RetroSmith, Aug 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967) Thread Starter

Well, my pal picked up this player and has played both SACDs and DVd-A s thru it and has done some serious critical listening.

He is RAVING about it!! He says that anything he plays sounds very detailed on this player and hes really impressed that his Redbook Cds sound better on this player than on his reference NAD deck.

I especially asked him about the SACD playback and he said it was excellent. So, obviously, HE'S not bothered by the DSD to PCM conversion.

Getting hard to beat this little gem!!!!

2. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Very interesting!

No offense or anything, but does he have an "upscale" system? Just curious.

I might have to A/B/C the Pioneer 45A, Pioneer 563A and my Sony 775! When the dust settles on my other projects, that is....

3. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Has he ever heard real DSD playback?

4. RetroSmith

He's an audiophile, probably more so than I.

He has mid/high end equipment with Paradigm Studio Monitors.

I dont know if hes heard "Real DSD" playback. I'd rather call that "unconverted" DSD playback.

I DO know hes exceedingly happy with this player. To me, for 179$ for what you get its a no brainer. You can always get an unconvertered SACD player if youre THAT bothered by it, but my guess is that 99% of the people wont be.

5. romanotrax

romanotrax Forum Resident

I'm no audiophile (but I know what sounds good to me) so the whole DSD>PCM doesn't bother me a bit. I have a NV500 Sony as well and the Pioneer sounds everybit as good as the Sony. I know neither of these are high end players but they cost the same and, hands down, the Pioneer is a winner. It is even Progressive Scan, which the Sony isn't. The picture is much better with the Pioneer.... it plays every kind of disc with no hesitation... mp3 and jpeg files play with ease... and it sounds really excellent!! I can't recommend this one enough for anyone looking for an additional player or someone who just wants to get their feet wet with a M/C player

6. RetroSmith

Thanks Romano.

At this price, everybody should own one. As you pointed out, its a progressive scan unit as well.

And I tend to agree with you...the DSD to PCM thing, I feel is well overblown.

7. Gardo

Gardo Audio Epistemologist

Does this combo player really do the DSD-PCM conversion? I seem to recall it uses a Philips chip that supports both DSD and PCM ... or is my memory foggy here?

8. RetroSmith

Gardman, it DOES use the Phillips chip, that much is known.

What I dont know is if that means that it doesnt convert!!!!

Anybody know what using the Phillips chip meand to DSD to PCM conversion needs?

9. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Forum Hall Of Fame

Hi,

It sounds like this player is a GREAT value. If your happy with it...... that's great!

Nevertheless, one should be realistic about the fact that corners must be cut to deliver a universal player at $179.......there are better SACD players currently on the market.

-Jeffrey

10. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

For newbies to SACD/DVDA this player is a no-brainer!

The Audio Bargain of The Year. It does it all for a reasonable affordable price.

I hope this gets some of the masses on the hi-rez MC bandwagon.

11. RetroSmith

bandwagon

>>>>>>.Im sure that was the whole idea behind this unit....to help folks get into Multichannel sound no matter what disc they buy.

Im sure it will accomplish that goal...I mean 179$ is AMAZING for what ya get. And the Phillips chip too!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.