Pioneer VSX-47TX A/V receiver (2001)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by MacGyver, Jul 25, 2022.

1. MacGyver

MacGyver Forum Resident Thread Starter

Well... something i knew was coming sooner or later just happened; my prized 1991 TOTL PIONEER VSX-D1S AVR began to fail on me,
    after years of faithful workhorse service since bought used back in 2003.

it's actually a simple/complex issue, endemic to all copies of this receiver, as the various citations on the problem to be found on the net go,
    a fluky capacitor or two in the speaker-output protection relay circuit, supposedly.

Alas, simple issue though it may be, it supposedly requires a deep dive service job to get at, and the power issues involved
    may have resulted in further unknown damage/wear on the extent related circuitry.

all said, i understand it amounts to an expensive labor job to replace some inexpensive electronic parts, if, -and this is a BIG if-
    one can even find a service tech willing to even touch the job these days.

since i live an an isolated, rural area, the only service tech i know of remotely close to me is 200+miles away,
    so, for now, at least, i decided to retire the D1S while it is in still-technically-functional condition,
    and get a copy of the PIONEER AVR i fell in love with back in the early-2000's, in my very early-20's,
    as a then-brand-new budding Hi-Fi/A/V enthusiast, the 2001 near-TOTL VSX-47TX;

(PIONEER VSX-47TX)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

allegedly at least as potent a performer as my old-faithful D1S, and certainly much better built,
    this beauty should dampen much of the edge of the loss of a very fine vintage AVR from the tail-end years
    of the glory-days of the Japanese Bubble-Economy CE industry...

Naturalbb2000 likes this.
  2. MacGyver

(PIONEER VSX-D1S)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Petie53

Petie53 Forum Resident

Have a 49TX that died. Truly wonderful receiver. Never knew of the D1S? Interesting unit with all the controls and display.

4. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Would not a new A/V receiver be more reliable?

5. rodentdog

rodentdog Senior Member

Our boy Mac has a thing for this era of Pioneer Elite components. They sure are purdy. My first high end cdp was a Pioneer Elite.

6. MacGyver

i'm a decidedly Superficial person, i'm afraid, and nether PIONEER nor much of anyone else,
    -outside of perhaps the "if-you-have-to-ask" Ultra-High-End market- makes anything even remotely this gorgeously-finished and overbuilt anymore...

Naturalbb2000 and Eigenvector like this.
  7. McLover

McLover Senior Member

I don't see overbuilt here. I see 1980's average build quality here. In terms of Pioneer, and what they once could build, check out a Japanese Domestic Market only Pioneer Exclusive Power Amplifier and Pre-Amplifier if you want to see some Pioneer build quality. Or at least a Spec series setup (which was the best Pioneer equipment Americans could buy). The latter in excellent condition for audio gear is quite excellent.

Audio gear was much better built years before AVR units, and IC excess. Easier to get a Pioneer SX-1010 or SX-1050 repaired by a tech than anything newer. And if you want to see what well built Pioneer is go look at the inside of an old SX-1000TW receiver.

zombiemodernist likes this.
  8. McLover

McLover Senior Member

And note, these AVR models of which you speak are among the very best of the AVR units ever made, in terms of build quality from a major manufacturer.

bru87tr likes this.
  9. MacGyver

Exactly.
    i'm no Fat Cat, or else i'd be in a position to find a Tech and throw money at them for a full, loving restoration of my cherished 1991 VSX-D1S.
    down here on planet earth, all i can realisically do is pay the best price i can for the next-best option generally available to me;
    one of PIONEER's very-best AVRs of all-time, a $2500+ virtual-TOTL from 2002, that i managed to get for just under $500.00 shipped...

10. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Being the Pioneer is a surround system you have five Polk Audio R10 speakers?

11. MacGyver

just the Stereo pair.

not only does my current room doesn't really leave space for a proper Surround speaker-suite,
    but i also flirted for some years with Surround back in the early/mid-2000's, and eventually came to find that i simply prefer 2-channel Stereo.

why not just get a good Stereo PRE/POW or Integrated Amp, then? because i like no-compromise high-end Receivers, for one,
    and, more importantly, all the stereo amplifiers i would actually want are all simply priced well out of my reach these days, for various reasons...

12. MacGyver

arrived yesterday (7/29/22) very well-packed, and fully functional, all 60-some beautifully-wrought Lbs. of it!!!
    as gorgeous-sounding as it looks, with a sheer limitless sense of dynamic drive the likes of which i never even quite heard out of the mighty VSX-D1S;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. McLover

McLover Senior Member

I get this. Make what you have last. On a budget, but not junk.

timind likes this.
  14. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Congrats

McLover likes this.
  15. MacGyver

16. timind

timind phorum rezident

It's a beauty, enjoy!

17. MacGyver

Indeed, like most of those early-21st-century, "1970's Muscle-Receiver-Revival-Era" products, this thing feels much like some manner of happy marriage of Receiver and Integrated Amplifier...

18. rodentdog

rodentdog Senior Member

Glad you're back in business. Enjoy the music!!!

19. Naturalbb2000

Naturalbb2000 New Member

Anyone know how this compares to the 59txi?

20. MacGyver

better-quality photos incoming. i am SO sold on this thing; best stereo amplifier i've ever owned by a hell of a margin.

i just wish i could find a minty front panel assy. for it...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. MacGyver