Pioneer's new PLX-1000 Turntable

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by bluelips, Jul 17, 2014.

1. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

Very nice!

What are those interesting looking cups that your table's feet are resting in?

Licorice pizza likes this.
  2. Licorice pizza

Licorice pizza Livin’ On The Fault Line

Thank you! Those cups are cork. Makes the already quiet TT even more silent.

33na3rd likes this.
  3. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

I'm going to have to look for some of those, they look like they were made for the table!

Thanks for the the reply!

Johnny Wong and Licorice pizza like this.
  4. William Bryant

William Bryant Forum Resident

The Pioneer DJ website (6/7/2022) says the wow and flutter on this unit is "< 0.01 % (Measured by obtaining signal from built-in frequency generator of motor assembly.)"

What does this mean? And is this spec different from years earlier when the claim was 0.1% and many comments were negative?

https://www.pioneerdj.com/en-us/product/turntable/plx-1000/black/overview/

5. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

It means the w/f is measured using the rotary encoder that’s connected to the shaft inside the motor, instead of using a test record.
    Eliminates inaccuracies like warps and pressing defects that are common with w/f test records.

Curiosity and William Bryant like this.
  6. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Still, the gap is a bit of mystery. Maybe a brushed face-plate is somehow permanently attached to that one-piece casting.

7. William Bryant

So concerns posted about wow and flutter earlier in this thread by folks like Mikay are now moot?

8. William Bryant

That's what it looks like to me. A brushed aluminum plate glued to a die cast chassis. But I've never had my hands on one.

9. Oelewapper

I don’t know what posts, but I used to run a PLX-1000 some years ago and never had any w/f issues.

I think you’re probably right.

10. Davey

Davey NP: Brian Eno ~ Ambient 4: On Land (1982 LP)

Yes, I would guess that is probably the case, but still just a one piece assembly from what I've seen.

11. William Bryant

Posts 385, 386, 389, 393 for starters. Mikay was really dismissive of this table because of an earlier wow and flutter spec.

12. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

If memory serves, it was long ago established that the original number was just a printing error missing a digit.

The table sounds every bit as good as the SL1200GR. I’ve owned both and done listening tests and frequency tests. The GR has better build and feel, but it doesn’t outperform it in any way sonically.

Maybe at this point buy one or don’t? Use Amazon and return it if you don’t like it. If you want people to “sell” you on this table no matter how many objections you throw up, it might be difficult as I don’t think anybody here gets an override from Pioneer.

13. Oelewapper

Curiosity and William Bryant like this.
  14. William Bryant

I'm just getting up to speed on this. That's good to know.

That's good to know as well. Much appreciated from somebody who has actually had them side by side.

I hope I don't sound like I'm throwing up objections. I'm just sifting through piles of contradictory internet posts and trying to form an opinion.

Tim1954 likes this.
  15. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

I think this table is built like a beast, I for one didn’t have luck getting one without extreme bearing play. I will say more power to you guys, everyone’s ears hear things differently. But owning both this table and a Technics GR, it was an obvious difference in sound and the PLX couldn’t compete in my eyes (ears).

I will say when I first got it, I was blown away how great it looked and how heavy it was.

16. William Bryant

Did you tighten up those bearings?

17. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

I didn’t try cause it was so bad. I had a AT that was off slightly and was successful in fixing it, but so much glue was applied from the factory it was a bitch to loosen the screw and didn’t look so good after. I almost gave up and it finally came loose but it was ugly after.

I didn’t want to do that to the Pioneer so I decided to not try and just send it back. But man, I’ve had some tables that were loose over the years but I have no idea how the PLX left the factory like that. It’s was the worst bearing play I had ever seen. Really astonishing how bad it was from the factory.

18. William Bryant

Did you use a spanner bit, or did you "bubba" it with needle nose pliers or a chisel or something? :)

https://www.amazon.com/VEGA-Spanner-Insert-Professional-125SP06A-5/dp/B07JLZ3B86?th=1

bru87tr likes this.
  19. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Which bearings are the issue? Just curious to what part of the table this is, sorry if that’s a newb question

20. William Bryant

Tonearm bearings

bru87tr likes this.
  21. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

lol, I wish I knew of that tool. Didn’t know about it till after. I used a very small flat head, but the glue they put on was overkill. I thinking would have come loose easy enough if not for all the glue. It was def over used.

William Bryant likes this.
  22. William Bryant

A drop of acetone (fingernail polish remover) loosens the glue. KEEP IT OFF ANYTHING PLASTIC OR PAINTED!

Then a spanner tip of the right size makes bearing adjustment a walk in the park.

[​IMG]

punkmusick likes this.
  23. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Would a Technics 1200mk7/1500C arm fit the PLX?
    a) just the wand with the gimbal
    [​IMG]
    b) with the entire base
    [​IMG]

24. William Bryant

Could you post a picture with it upside down so we can see where the mounting screws go? Also, could you post the diameter of the base?

25. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Don't have any of these, sorry. Someone else could chime in.