Pioneer's new PLX-1000 Turntable

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by bluelips, Jul 17, 2014.

1. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

I'd have thought DJs were the best to determine a deck's durability!

mikeburns likes this.
  2. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Agreed - looks nice (not as sweet as an m5g)

motorcitydave likes this.
  3. druboogie

druboogie Maverick Stacker

The two DJs in that video are pretty heavy handed, so if they like it, it speaks wonders about the build quality. STill not enough reviews out there though.

4. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

I have currently a MMF 5.1 kit. But two things about the Pioneer, which I would Love to get.....
    1) is the build better than the Audio Technica 1200 knockoff, because I had one of those and it
    was mediocre-hell the platter's strobe 'bumps' didn't even line up, while it was rotating kept bouncing
    up and down.
    2) I'm not a dj, I don't want the 'slip mat', I want the rubber 'real' mat they show on the Pioneer site.
    It looks like it's not even an 'accessory' that you can buy.
    3) so is this 'Audiophile' quality like the old Pl 550/560/570/530?? That's the biggie question for me
    to lay $700 down and trash the 5.1.
    Inquiring minds want to know.
    the beave

5. druboogie

1.) From what I see, its made from the same company, and many of the the same parts that makes the Audio Technica, and that is the AT-LP1240-USB. The pioneer looks like an updated version of this turntable, like a new hanpin model with the Technics patents designs. I dont think people here know about this one, they never talk about it. But that model is exactly the same as the Stanton ST-150, which is built like a tank. Its all made by Hanpin.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    2.) I can assume if they show a rubber mat on the site, it will come with it. But most new DJ turntables that arent the 1200 do not.

3.) I doubt this is audiophile quality yet. Not so sure Hanpin is on that bandwagon.

4_everyman likes this.
  6. j.t.k.

j.t.k. Senior Member

I don't know about all this Technics patents stuff... as far as I can tell that's an unsubstantiated rumor that's been following the Hanpin turntables since at least 2012. If they were using the Technics patents, wouldn't people with broken Technics tables be able to swap parts from these as a fix? Seems like that would be news if it was true.

7. skriefal

skriefal Senior Member

Wouldn't any patents have expired long ago, anyway?

dmckean and Electric Warrior like this.
  8. kstaken

kstaken Forum Resident

This pioneer table looks far more similar to a real sl1200 than it does to any of these hanpin tables. You have to look past the blue lights and compare the actual hardware designs. Pretty much all the hardware including the arm, queuing light, vta adjustment and feet look just like those on a 1200. In particular if you compare the gimbal structure and joint between the arm tube and rear of the arm it looks nothing like the arms on the hanpin tabels but looks just like the arm on a 1200. The arm base vta adjuster is also totally different on the hanpin tables but the pioneer again has the same design as the 1200. The counter weight is a different color but also same design as a 1200. To me this looks like a 1200 with a different base structure that on the surface looks like a good improvement. When you take a 1200 apart there are 3 layers a rubber base, an interior non-resonant cast piece that is fairly heavy and the top cast metal plinth. The plinth feels like aluminium but may be something else. The pioneer has altered those three pieces but the other hardware looks just like that from a 1200. Either they really did a good job of cloning or this really is an updated 1200. I'd like to see a photo with the platter removed to see what the motor looks like.

Billy Infinity likes this.
  9. utahusker

utahusker Senior Member

I keep hearing, built like a tank. Does that mean heavy, or are the tolerances very tight? Anyone can make something heavy. I'm sorry if I'm coming off as negative about this table, but I've seen and used a Hanpin table, and a Technics it ain't.

10. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

You realize even the 0.1% figure is well below the average wow and flutter you get from a record, don't you? Even at 0.1%, the turntable's contribution to the audible wow & flutter you'd hear while playing a record would be negligible.

It is also in the ballpark of some very highly regarded turntables out there.

link

Licorice pizza and quadjoe like this.
  11. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

In this day and age there's no excuse for that poor of W&F performance in what is supposed to be a well made turntable IMO.

Billy Budapest likes this.
  12. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

The wow & flutter spec matches the Hanpin. Contrary to previous posts, the gimbal looks like the Hanpin. The overhang gauge measurement is 54mm, not the Technics standard of 52mm. If I were Pioneer and had the opportunity to distance myself from Hanpin, I would. They apparently didn't. This is most likely an overpriced Hanpin.

As for whether or not 0.1% is acceptable, Miller Audio Reseach came up with 0.09% in testing a Technics SP-10 MK2.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2014
    Bruno Republic, ggergm and druboogie like this.
  13. vlds8

vlds8 Forum Resident

When I saw "Pioneer" and "1000", I stopped...I thought they had re-introduced a linear tracker like the PL-L1000, but no :(

Now this seems like a nice table, but if they want my money, they can produce a linear tracker of similar build and price, and they've got it!

ggergm likes this.
  14. druboogie

Tank means not the plasticy crap like the previous 1200 wannabees.

The only reason Im guessing that the Pioneer is a Hanpin is because the tone arm is exactly the tone arm from the previous Hanpin top of the line models. Not the base of the tone arm though. I truly think what we are looking at is a new design by Hanpin that hasnt been put on their website yet, and Pioneer is the first company to release it. I think other companies will come out with this same unit with their names on it. Super OEM turntable. Theres too much tooling involved for Pioneer to spend R&D money to make it themselves. It has to be outsourced.

If it were an audiophile turntable, that would be true, but its not. Its only meant for DJ abuse.

15. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

Wow. How to judge a piece: it should fit a pre-conceived notion that the specs should be better than inaudible.

I hope you never own a tube amp. Their THD specs can be as high as 0.5%. That's high compared to transistorized amps. Would you find that much THD unacceptable?

I will give the engineers the benefit of the doubt. Designing a piece is a series of compromises. We don't know the ones that lead to this wow and flutter spec.

I'm satisfied with inaudibility, especially in a DJ table.

Licorice pizza and druboogie like this.
  16. j.t.k.

j.t.k. Senior Member

Yeah, I'm not seeing anything but updated Hanpin when I look at the pics of the Pioneer. And I also see a lot of similarities to my super OEM table. Couple that with the specs...

I'd be happy to be proven wrong here. But it's going to take more than visual similarities.

Billy Budapest likes this.
  17. j.t.k.

j.t.k. Senior Member

My super OEM is heavy too. But the tolerances are really loose. I don't really know what makes the thing so heavy.

18. druboogie

[​IMG]
    Thats all I see too. Definitely Hanpin. But to be honest, if it looks like this, and feels good under my abuse, I'd sell my 18+ old pair of Technics and get a pair of these.

j.t.k. likes this.
  19. kstaken

kstaken Forum Resident

I'm have an old sl1200 mk2 arm assembly sitting in my lap and a 1200 m5g with the most recent technics arm design. The pioneer arm is very slightly different from the mk11 arm but looks exactly the same as the m5g arm. Right down to the rounded surface of the arm lift platform. All the hanpin arms are crude clones. Go compare some pictures. I personally don't like the sound of the 1200 and don't currently use either of the one's I own but that pioneer looks far more like an updated 1200 than anything hanpin has ever put out. If it's a clone its a good one and the changes they made to the base all look pretty interesting. In particular if they're casting the metal plinth from a less resonant material it could be an interesting table. The 1200 plinth when removed from the base layers rings pretty well.

20. utahusker

utahusker Senior Member

All of what I've stated earlier was pertaining to a turntable for a hi-fi system, not DJ use. The Hanpin tables are great for the use they're intended for. I didn't realize there were many DJ's on the the S.H. hardware forum, my mistake.

21. missan

missan Forum Resident

As Luckydog has shown with his eminent polar plot of frequency modulation, it´s actually so that the arm and record that is the largest contributers to W&F normally. What the makers state for figures dosn´t really mean that much.
    To get real world figures below 0,1% is very difficult, for any TT.

druboogie likes this.
  22. kstaken

kstaken Forum Resident

Obviously a real technics arm looks nothing like that. This is a MKII arm. On the Mk5 arm the little nub on the top of the arm lift is smaller and flatter as it is on the pioneer arm. The knurling on the rear of the counter weight is a little different on the pioneer and the pioneer has the screw on extra weight on the end of the arm which also comes with technics arms. Pay particular attention to the base of the arm, the VTA adjuster ring and the trough around the base. That's a perfect clone of the 1200.

[​IMG]

23. The Beave

Keep on it man, because I need to know. And this is very good information you've given me so far! Thank You very much for that. I would also like you guys to keep an eye out on prices out there and if anyone is going below the $699 price.
    thanks again, the beave

24. The Beave

This Really looks like a very well engineered TA/Base.
    the beave

25. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Tests have shown my Empire 698 to meet or beat it's listed W&F spec of .04%.

When Practical Hi fi And Audio tested it they got .03% W&F.

Popular Electronics got an un-weighted result of .04%, & WRMS weighted .03%, which was pretty much the test record's limit. So, it's not that difficult.

Bruno Republic likes this.