Pioneer's new PLX-1000 Turntable

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by bluelips, Jul 17, 2014.

1. 56GoldTop

56GoldTop Forum Resident

:( ...so many fallen...

2. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

So, do I see that there is NO Pioneer guys or gals here on the Hoffman site willing to stir the pot????
    Unbelievable. Can't even get a concrete release date.
    the beave

3. thinker10

thinker10 Forum Resident

Hi,

End of August/September

I think it will be great for the money

Geese that's less than I paid for my then new SL-1200 MK2 in 2004

Not by much but ten years later ...

The RCA connector they say are from TAD equipment

Just put a Shure M44G and be happy !

Thanks

4. quadjoe

quadjoe Senior Member

Yes. The Technics DD tables are such a design where by the platter is the rotor of the electric motor, making it the only moving part. The only other TT manufacturer that has such a design is VPI, as far as I know. I have an SL-1200MK2 (with KAB mods) and it is dead accurate (W&F 0.01%). I'm extremely sensitive to pitch variations so rotational accuracy is very important to me. If the specs for the Pioneer are to be believed, it's an order of magnitude worse than the Technics design (anything over 0.1% is audible, so it should be ok).

GuildX700 likes this.
  5. vlds8

vlds8 Forum Resident

Interesting, however I am puzzled. Surely in any direct drive table the platter is the rotor? In all designs I have seen the stator part is built into the base/plinth, and the platter attaches to the moving rotor, becoming the rotor, and thus the only moving part. Where does the "slotless permanent magnet" part come in, which supposedly eliminates or reduces cogging? I was always under the impression that the well known stability of the 1200 is due to the quality and size of the motor, rather than a different DD design. If someone can explain this, I'd be very curious to know.

6. quadjoe

quadjoe Senior Member

There is no rotor that the platter attaches to in the Technics table, the rotor magnets are on the underside of the platter itself, making the platter the rotor. Their motor designs are slotless and brushless, hence no cogging. I don't know enough about other manufacturers to speak to their designs. The Technics direct drive system is utterly silent in operation. Unlike the Sony belt drive turntable I owned where you could hear the motor run when you turned it on, or my Dual 1229Q idler-drive where there is considerable rumble by comparison to either the Sony or the Technics.

7. Poison_Flour

Poison_Flour Forum Resident

Has anyone purchased one or seen any reviews yet ?

8. groovelocked

groovelocked Forum Resident

I forget where but I saw a video of one that didn't start up unless the guy manually spun the platter and then it kicked in.

2trackmind likes this.
  9. The Beave

Nope, dissapointing thread. The Gorts that be should put it out of it's misery. Not really any concrete information anyway.
    I've decided to stick with my Pl-518 and be done with it.
    the beave
    RIP thread

10. groovelocked

no reason to kill the thread, it's a brand new product that there's more people waiting on the opinions of than there are people rushing out to buy one. I'm hoping to hear some awesome reviews.

Billy Infinity likes this.
  11. The Beave

Cool Groovelocked.
    The main thing I want to know is where is it made? Japan would be a no brainer, china, I'll pass. I've already had the AT 'Clone' that was made in china and they couldn't even get the platter right. It literally wobbled while it spun around. No Thanks to that. A TT is an intricate physical device and I'm so glad my wife found the old Pioneer PL-518 TT in a box in our garage a few months ago. Put 5 hours into refurbishing it, which wasn't that difficult and it is now my GoTo table. I'd put it up sound wise against anything south of a $2k table. The arm and bearings it uses are very impressive. And after I painted the Plinth Gloss Black, it's also dog nuts stunning to look at.
    the beave

Shak Cohen and groovelocked like this.
  12. druboogie

druboogie Maverick Stacker

groovelocked likes this.
  13. groovelocked

By AT clone do you mean the LP120 or LP240/LP1240? I use the LP240 and while it's a beautiful TT and I'm very happy with its performance, I'd grab a new Technics in a heartbeat if they relaunch and include the black model. If not though, and the reviews for the new Pioneer are good, I will get one so I have an all-Pioneer set-up, and the hinged cover will be greatly appreciated now that I've been using a cover that has to be set aside- which I find a minor PITA.

14. 762rob

762rob Forum Resident

This is a wonderful turntable, I was lucky to get one new-in-box last year - that's 15" platter there.

Spirit Crusher and GuildX700 like this.
  15. o0OBillO0o

o0OBillO0o Forum Resident

16. So, anybody buy one of these? Is it a Hanpin? One way to confirm--check the outer dimensions of the table. If they match AT's version of the Hanpin table--which is a bit smaller than an SL-1200--then it could be another rebadge. I hope not!

SHU likes this.
  17. Poison_Flour

If it was 100% a Hanpin I am certain someone somewhere would have confirmed it by now

18. This guy seems to think it is pretty much identical to an SL-1200:

19. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

PhilBiker likes this.
  20. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Wow, great find, what did it set you back? $$$?

21. Poison_Flour

22. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Not exactly Gore Vidal vs Bill Buckley, but they never argued the GOOD STUFF.

23. knob twirler

knob twirler Senior Member

Buckley was definitely a belt drive man. Walnut Thoeren, possibly even a Garrard. Vidal wouldn't admit to liking anything, but would go with whatever the DJ at Studio 54 is using.

24. Antares

Antares Forum Resident

I saw one of these in the flesh last week. Looks and feels slick, weighs a ton. It was more than I expected though at €699 (that's one thing not typically Hanpin). Sure makes the similarly priced RP3 I see on the same shopping run look like a plastic toy, but I don't know which I'd choose if push came to shove. I'm intrigued by the new Onkyo as well (which is supposed to be only €350).

Last edited: Oct 27, 2014
  25. John76

John76 Forum Resident

Pioneer, Technics, Rega, the only way to sort it out is to put the same cartridge on each one, make some recordings and listen. I wouldn't make much out of specifications, weight... Just listen, that is, unless you are using it as a DJ deck.