Pioneer's new PLX-1000 Turntable

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by bluelips, Jul 17, 2014.

1. I'd like to see Tone Audio or Stereophile review his thing . . . My interest has been piqued!

2. Ha ha! THIS thing!

Brother_Rael likes this.
  3. Bruno Republic

Bruno Republic Forum Resident

The design, and particularly the specs, scream Hanpin to me.

PhilBiker likes this.
  4. 762rob

762rob Forum Resident

Waaaay to much.....it was a once in a lifetime opportunity. Another eBay bidder bid it up to 3200, I got it in the last 2 seconds at 3300. I had to sell a kidney to pay for it (l0l)

If it had not been new in box (never even out of the box) I would not have gone that high, no way. I took it to my friend Tom at High Tech Service here in Nashville and let him have the fun of unpacking it.

We installed 2 different cartridges in it as he collect them. There was a very high end limited Grado (white body looked like ivory) , and a nude Benz as I recall. I didn't have anything that esoteric or high end, but did have a Denon DL 103 MC which is in there now. Those other 2 were frightfully better! Spent awhile listening to vinyl on the test bench.....

5. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Sounds about right given the rarity of em. Beautiful unit, one of the only Pioneer Elite pieces I still don't own. Congrats!

PhilBiker likes this.
  6. Could be. I really don't like that wow & flutter spec. That tells me it doesn't employ the SL-1200's analog linear frequency generator technology to monitor and stabilize platter speed.

Shak Cohen likes this.
  7. Wngnt90

Wngnt90 Forum Resident

Audioshot likes this.
  8. druboogie

druboogie Maverick Stacker

Yeah but I used the stanton ST-150s, which are very heavy sturdy and high torque turntables, with dead on platter speed. So whatever hanpin did to stabilize the platter, it works quite well. Im sure there isnt any flutterings when listening to music on the Pioneer/Hanpin model.

I really need to go to guitar center and test this thing out.

9. McLover

McLover Senior Member

I think the only thing Pioneer about this turntable is the brand name on it. It is Hanpin in my estimation after having examined one. Best grade Hanpin but Hanpin just the same. Expensive in my mind for what you get. And sorry, the Stanton ST 150 is not true Heavy construction or made to Technics standards, it's not even halfway to the SL-1200 engineering, construction, build quality or performance level. It's acceptable but no better. How many of the Hanpins will be running in 30 years of hard commercial service, few if any. I can and have taken abused SL-1200 Mk II which got thrashed in clubs, and with love and spare parts, they live again and perform to specification or better. I can still get what I need to keep one alive. You want to see high torque, very heavy and sturdy, go see a Russco, a Gates, or a QRK, which were built to take very heavy use and perform to anally high standards.

Shak Cohen and Bruno Republic like this.
  10. druboogie

Have you actually examined the Hanpin Stanton ST-150 inside and out? I did, and they actually are heavy duty construction and high torque. They stand the abuse of travelling and clubs. I DJ'd on them and they as far as taking abuse, they are just as good as 1200s. Only problem is, we might not know how long they last since very few people have them. That was one of the ones that Hanpin got right. I wouldnt be surprised if Hanpin used many of the same parts in the Pioneer deck. If everyone decides to jump on this unit, there will be plenty of parts to go around in the future.

11. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Yes, I have had them apart. And ours at work are decent for the price they sell for. And they are used for light duty emergency use. I like how well built they are for the price. But I don't see one as easily maintainable with age. Ever had a QRK, Russco, or Gates apart? Big difference in construction, in engineering, and in performance. Big difference between club standards and AM/FM on air standard too. Remember that. Good enough won't do there. You get what you pay for. I don't dislike the Stanton for light home use or light nightclubbing. But it won't replace what I already use by any means.

12. druboogie

Ive seen those Gates, Russco and QRK turntables in person at different stations, theyre undeniably heavy duty while sitting in place, I dont think they can be compared to turntables that are designed for traveling though. From what I saw with the Stantons, if you drop it, it will still work (just like the Technics). When on the road, thats all you need. Maybe Hanpin finally got it right. They dont really have competition when it comes to these decks, they might be good for the long run, for DJs anyway.

I still perform heavy duty competiton style DJing, and I think they Stantons, or whatever Hanpin stamped name of the same turntable would last me just fine. I won a set of Technics in 1997 that is still my main set, I would actually sell my Technics and replace them with the Pioneers.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2014
  13. John76

John76 Forum Resident

It wouldn't surprise me that the Pioneer would outperform a 1200 in stock form given some of the technical changes implemented in the base and tonearm.

14. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Remember, too that many a Russco, QRK, or Sparta wound up in mobile DJ remote console livery. They did a lot of old school style remotes too. And didn't have a problem withstanding them.

15. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

I'd settle for Stereophile. They put measurements in their reviews that IMO gives them some yardage.

Billy Budapest likes this.
  16. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

And about twenty minutes faster than a Rega....and this from someone who ran a P3 for years!

17. vlds8

vlds8 Forum Resident

Has anyone noticed the Pioneer specs in the brochure - "Tracking Force - 0 oz to 0.14 oz". Eh ??? I do believe the rest of the vinyl playing world and cartridge manufacturers use grams, what's this ounce thing all about ;) (translates to 0 to 3.9 grams) Don't tell me the counterweight is calibrated in ounces!

18. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

If it's a turntable designed for dance music it may be calibrated in oontz's. OONTZ OONTZ OONTZ

19. I always thought it was DOOMPH DOOMPH DOOMPH DOOMPH

20. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

But DOOMPH doesn't rhyme with ounces and wouldn't be as punny. :D

Billy Budapest likes this.
  21. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

You are RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A chinese manufactured table......do you remember a few years ago Denon put out an 'Anniversary' TT that listed for like $2500.........it was chinese made and based on the $200 AT turntable/tonearm currently on the market. For a Japanese firm to put out such a piece has caused Denon untold damage to their reputation. And now so goes Pioneer. With all the great TT's they've put out over the years (I'm using a PL-518 right now and it's one very Serious Kit with an AT120E Cart on it) with ANYONE over the age of 50, they've lost our money. Or at least mine.
    A very Sad day for us old dudes, but for the new generation who literally don't know any better, it will probably rock their world.
    The Good Lord Should have taken me 20 years ago,,,,,,,,,all this cut's like a knife.
    It really does.
    the beave

22. druboogie

I would love to see pictures of that. You never get to see many pics of really old school dj rigs with those kind of decks.

Al_D and PhilBiker like this.
  23. John76

John76 Forum Resident

I don't know how I live with myself happily using a CHINESE made iPad and iPhone, such crap! :rolleyes:

Last edited: Nov 1, 2014
  24. McLover

McLover Senior Member

And I am so hard on Pioneer with this one, because Pioneer could have built this in house and blew us away. Also count me on record as a PL 518 owner who loves his and it is his second turntable. Mine performs very well.

PsychedelicMike and Shak Cohen like this.