Pioneer's new PLX-1000 Turntable

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by bluelips, Jul 17, 2014.

1. Helom

Helom Forum member

And Kevin claimed his mods would not fit the Pioneer, despite having no experience with the deck. Very frustrating for a consumer.

HiFi Guy likes this.
  2. googlymoogly

googlymoogly Forum Resident

That's funny - he sure has made something of a career selling turntables while thinking digital is superior. I guess there's more of a market for his machine of choice than a cd player or a DAC. My interactions with him have always been good, and he knows his stuff when it comes to Technics. I also agree that if there's cogging present in the Technics, I've never heard its effects. The thing runs like a tank.

snorker likes this.
  3. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Hahaha! Yep, that is correct. I was at his house a few years back and he told me, "Honestly....I really don't even like vinyl." I almost hit the floor! Not that I would quarrel with the man's opinion, but it just seemed odd coming from a guy that makes a living off modded SL-1200's. Heck of a nice guy....bit of a mad scientist type though :)

googlymoogly and snorker like this.
  4. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

He gave it a very positive review plus Fremer did no invent cogging. Likely makers of high end belt drives and he just took the explanation on as a reason for what he was hearing. It's likely inferior products to the Technics did display cogging when measured and even if measurable it probably wasn't audible.

5. missan

missan Forum Resident

I believe it´s likely that most TTs have some type of ´cogging´. Never mind the type.

Bob_in_OKC likes this.
  6. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

I'd like to see the math on it though. If the torque changes 100 times per second, my ears might not be able to discern that.

7. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

In my case, the cartridge that I ran on both my VPI Classic and Technics 1200MK2 was an Audio Technica OC9/ii. The Classic whipped the Technics so bad it wasn't even funny. It was in a completely different league, no contest. Prior to this, I used two tables in my setup for variety (the Technics and whichever belt drive I owned at the moment), after that comparison the 1200 went into the basement and was later given away to a friend.

YMMV I suppose.

8. missan

missan Forum Resident

Me too. :)
    I mean the inertia of the platter will prevent any quick freq variations. Usually we will in the end have a very low freq modulation, never mind the type of drive system. If we can hear the 'cogging', will maybe come down to what freq and freq variation are present.

HiFi Guy likes this.
  9. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

I'd fully expect the VPI embarrass the Technics. The VPI platter alone weighs nearly what the entire Technics weighs. The arm is far superior to the VPI. And on and on, and priced accordingly, at least the original ones, anyway.

I don't think it comes down to "cogging", but I'll agree it's a whole different ballgame. You are comparing minor and major leagues.

Last edited: May 29, 2017
  10. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Oh, I think most people who don't romanticize the Technics agree. I do think the 1200 is a fine deck in the <$1000 category.

HiFi Guy likes this.
  11. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

I can't speak for the older sl1200 as I have the top of the line version the M5G that I bought new.

There is no 'walking all over' or 'stomping' going on. Both my M5G and Classic are extremely high quality turntables that provide an exceptional level of performance. I have both setup and running and I do A/B comparisons all the time - simple button press on my McIntosh preamp remote is all it takes. I even use the same album as I have two brand new copies. I don't have the same carts - but all my carts are decent (Dv10X5, Grado Ref Master, OM30, AT 440mla, Precept 220.)

There is certainly no reason for me to say this - as I own the Classic - I could easily sell the M5G for a Grand+ as it is mint condition.

Now I respect the both of you and do not mean to criticize - but I'm just not having a clear cut difference. If the cart isn't properly matched to the Technics - sure that could be a reason for it sounding poor. I would expect the AT cart to work on it - I'm not sure why it sounded so bad. Also - did you have two carts and were doing immediate A/B comparisons - or was the comparison done after the cart was removed and moved to the other arm (considerable amount of time past)? If so - that is really tough to compare (at least I couldn't do it as I'd forget the detail.)

In my turntable quest - I felt I took the M5G as far as it could go (I skipped the arm upgrade as I chose to buy a second table instead) - it reached a point where I could find no wrong with it. The VPI which I absolutely love was my 'arm upgrade' - a second table with all manner of differences (longer arm, massive plinth, massive platter, unipivot, belt drive...)

Both tables at their prime and well setup - they really, at this point, allow the cartridges to do their thing - the tables get out of the way.

Anyhow - that is my experience - yours may differ.

Parting shot.

[​IMG]

12. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

The Technics arm is a fine match for the AT, there was no compliance issues. Note I didn't say it sounded bad - only that the Classic sounded much better, to the point there was no contest. Later, when the Classic was in the shop being fitted for a new cartridge, I set the 1200MK2 back up and lasted about half a side of an album before I just switched to digital, there was no going back from the VPI.

Perhaps the M5G just had significant improvements over the MK2.

Nice VTI rack, btw. Sadly their quality control has gotten so bad when I tried to purchase a second one I ended up just throwing it away. :(

rebellovw likes this.
  13. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Thanks - nice to know about the AT cart - I am looking to replace that DV and based on your experience I think the AT may be the way to go on the VPI - sounds like winner for sure.

Thanks about the VTI rack - sucks to hear that.

14. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

I've had the above experience as well - sorry about my previous comments I didn't mean to take away from that. I've had that experience twice before - once when rolling preamp tubes and second when one of my output tubes failed - I swapped in my Pioneer SX650 to replace my tube separates - and at first it sounded the same - which was discouraging - but that didn't last long - once I was playing something I was really familiar with I noticed immediately the magic/sound stage was gone and couldn't wait to get my tube system back in place. Those are great experiences in this hobby and sometimes tough to come by.

15. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

By most accounts the new SL-1200GAE/G is also a significant improvement, and more comparable in price. I wonder how the VPI Classic stacks up to that one.

HiFi Guy and patient_ot like this.
  16. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

My very last comment on this thread - the only significant improvement I see was in Technics Marketing - they were able to get Fremer to give it a positive review. There was nothing 'significantly' wrong with the last manufactured MK5. Specs were off the chart.

Robert C and snorker like this.
  17. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

You may be right. I'm only familiar with the MK2. When I hooked up my buddy's MK2 alongside my Concept Wood, I was surprised how well it performed, even with a cartridge costing maybe one-tenth the price. Kevin told me the MK5 had a lot of upgrades over the MK2. I suspect there are a few further upgrades to the SL-1200G, Fremer notwithstanding. ;)

rebellovw likes this.
  18. Classicrock

The SL1200G is a completely different design under the skin. Now listen to the Fremer Youtube comparisons with his Continuum. Not so far apart as one might predict. A little clinical compared with many high end belt drives otherwise it is very competitive in the £3K price range. I have actually heard the cheaper GAE and was not entirely impressed but it was in an all Technics system Both use new drive technology and are not an up spec'd MkII/VI.

HiFi Guy likes this.
  19. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

Indeed, the comparison to Fremer's reference 'table was very favorable. FYI, the SL-1200GAE was the now sold-out anniversary edition (hence the "AE" in the name), and is nearly identical to the SL-1200G. The SL-1200GR is the lower-priced option.

HiFi Guy likes this.
  20. Classicrock

Apologies for the typo GAE should have read GR! (below)

21. Smegman

Smegman Forum Resident

So... Is this thing better than a PDC?

22. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

Finally took the dive, ordered a PLX. Amazon card giving me 12 months no interest.

Want to see the difference compared to my AT 1240. The dampened arm really intrigues me.

23. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Interesting! I have the same Technics table and I've always loved it, but bought a brand new VPI Prime which will be here Monday. Can't wait to A B it but frankly I kinda feel I will experience the same. I love my Technics and I'm not expecting a massive difference. I have very good ears and am very picky and love the Technics. Will be interesting to see what I hear.

24. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

How are the cables that come with the PLX-1000 ? Any good ?

25. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

They seem perfectly fine to me.