Pioneer's new PLX-1000 Turntable

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by bluelips, Jul 17, 2014.

1. Drewan77

Drewan77 Forum Resident

Saying "moderately capable" but also "designed to replace the old 1200 II and most would agree it is close or even better sounding".... seems a bit harsh & suggests that both the PLX1000 & all the older SL1200s are only average sounding.

...not my experience for either type - many 1200s sound great & the Pioneer I hear regularly also sounds very good (I own/have owned mostly £2-4k turntables) .

punkmusick likes this.
  2. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I have a £4K plus TT/arm combo and the Pioneer is ultimately not nearly as good though very nice sounding. I don't want to give the impression the arm is any substitute for high end products. The TT is likely as good as most TTs up to about £1000. Obviously speed stability and ease of use are it's main assets over the competition. If you want to extract that extra 25% out of vinyl you will have to spend a lot more.

Slimwhit33 and punkmusick like this.
  3. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

I just ordered a GR. Stay tuned for head-to-head comparison in a couple of weeks.

4. Helom

Helom Forum member

Looking forward to this. It will be nice to finally get some objective opinions from an owner of both.

Davey likes this.
  5. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani ~ Ghosts (2023 LP)

Be nice if you could just swap one headshell and cartridge back and forth, but don't they have a 2mm difference in tonearm length that would affect the alignment? Or is that a documentation mistake? Or just a difference in the way it is measured?

displayname and punkmusick like this.
  6. Helom

Helom Forum member

Good point. Maybe he can take some measurements for us and confirm this as well.

punkmusick likes this.
  7. Davey

And then after he subsequently upgrades to the "G", maybe he can do a real meaningful sound comparison between the "G" and "GR" too :)

displayname and punkmusick like this.
  8. punkmusick

I believe the alignments are different but maybe it's just a matter of moving the cartridge 2mm back and forth in the headshell when swapped, should be easy. I'll try do record some needledrops of both tables with the same cartridge/headshell.

I'm actually a bit skeptical that the GR would be an improvement sound quality wise, but I would like to be wrong, sometimes I think I could have more refinement and I hope the GR can give me that. Let's see.

9. punkmusick

Hahaha

I need funding. Come on guys, donate, it's for the cause!

Helom and displayname like this.
  10. gguy

gguy Forum Resident

Does anyone know if the stock headshell works well with an AT440mlb cart?

Licorice pizza likes this.
  11. Davey

Yea, at over twice the price, you would like to think the Technics would have a little more refinement in the sound with possibly better motor/platter and tonearm bearings, and maybe better digital design and isolation in the control circuits, but there's so many variables in electro-mechanical systems. Maybe the cast zinc top plate on the Pioneer has a better sonic signature than the cast aluminum on the Technics. Maybe that little rubber tube in the tonearm provides some key vibration damping without deadening the sound of the Pioneer. Who knows, maybe Herb Reichert was even right (at the time*) and the Pioneer is the best audiophile table under $2000 :)

* yea, I know, the Technics GR wasn't in the mix then

Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
  12. punkmusick

Just to be fair to Herb, I read that review dozens of times when I was deciding to buy the Pioneer, he actually said the PLX-1000 is (was) "a serious contender" for the best audiophile-grade turntable for less than $2000, not that it would necessarily win this hypothetical competition. The guy was more cautious than that. Also, the "best" I suppose doesn't necessarily mean the best sounding. Even if it sounds a bit more congested than say a Rega under $2000 but keeps better speed and allows to more set up options and to easily swap cartridges someone might say it's "better" (I would).

By "refinement" I mean definition in the soundstage. My vinyl chain sounds a bit "fat" and "blurred", specially in the bass, and I wonder if I would get more definition and space with the GR. And if I do, I wonder if I would prefer it. Maybe more definition would make the music sound too much like my digital chain? And if so then what's the point? Well, time will tell, I hope the GR arrives safe and fast.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
    rtrt and Davey like this.
  13. Topspin70

Topspin70 Active Member

Got the PLX-1000 on my shortlist. Anyone here use it primarily with headphones? Do you hear a slight hum after the needle drop and before the music begins?

I get that with my Sansui SR2050 and been living with it. Mostly unnoticeable once music starts. Also don't bug me much when playing via speakers. I use headphone more now and it's clearly there. and hope to avoid it if I get the PLX-1000.

H8SLKC and displayname like this.
  14. gguy

gguy Forum Resident

No noticeable motor noise for me. I was coming from a Project Carbon and motor noise was a deal breaker

15. Licorice pizza

Licorice pizza Livin’ On The Fault Line

That’s what I’ve had for a few years now, stock head shell with AT440MLB. Sounds beautiful to me.
    [​IMG]

33na3rd, The Pinhead and H8SLKC like this.
  16. Licorice pizza

:laugh::uhhuh:

H8SLKC likes this.
  17. Licorice pizza

:laugh::agree:

18. Licorice pizza

I’m in total agreement with the one gentleman who was dumbfounded as to why this thread has been going on for 4 freaking years. I’ve had it that long and it’s been a great investment. No problems, hums, or breakdowns at all.

Ok, leaving the dark side and going back to my fun loving, record playing buddies over at WR&C. We got actual music to discuss and cocktails to be consumed. Carry on, fellas.

The Pinhead, Budysr, H8SLKC and 4 others like this.
  19. Topspin70

Topspin70 Active Member

That's great. One of the downside of using headphones is that even minor noises can sound obvious.

Any idea whether all plx 1000s come from the same factory? Hope the one I get here in Asia is of similar QC as what you get in the US.

H8SLKC likes this.
  20. gguy

gguy Forum Resident

They all come from the same place in China.

H8SLKC likes this.
  21. Topspin70

Topspin70 Active Member

Thanks for the info!

H8SLKC likes this.
  22. punkmusick

No noises with headphones here.

H8SLKC and Topspin70 like this.
  23. Topspin70

Topspin70 Active Member

Awesome. It's either this or the more expensive Mofi Studiodeck. I'm leaning this way cuz I can swop headshell and cartridge anytime.

H8SLKC and displayname like this.
  24. punkmusick

Same here. I bought the PLX-1000 mainly to get rid of the Debut Carbon hum and it worked.

25. Topspin70

Topspin70 Active Member

Did u get notice a major improvement in SQ too?