Pirate Ship "launching" a "new carrier"??? (to offset temorary USPS holiday price increases)

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by giantleech, Sep 3, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues Thread Starter

According to Pirate Ship, they're going to help offset the "temporary" holiday price increases of the USPS (that are to be effective for mailings posted between October 3rd to December 26th) by "launching a new carrier." I suppose that this could possibly mean that they are going to be contracting with another delivery service or could possibly mean that they are creating their own? Anyone have a theory as to what will happen next here?

The text from Pirate Ship's recent announcement:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

USPS is temporarily raising their rates October 3rd–December 26th.

Unfortunately there's no way to escape this; from October 3rd–December 26th USPS is raising rates everywhere you can buy their postage.

Their price increase for each shipment depends on the service, weight, and zone you're shipping to. Most shipments will see a $0.25 cents to $0.75 cents increase.

We've got a way to help you offset these increases!

We're as bummed as you are about these increases, so we're launching a new carrier with super deep discounts in the nick of time on October 3rd. We can't share more until then, but it'll help you save a ton instantly.

In the meantime let us know if we can help out in any way. We've got your back matey!

Last edited: Sep 3, 2021
    GentleSenator and Reese like this.
  2. giantleech

Fortunately, USPS Media Mail and International rates won't be effected by the "temporary" increase and the vast majority of my mailings take place via those specific services. However, if Pirate Ship's new service has any possibility of besting the USPS Media Mail rates (for the same general level of service or better), that will definitely interest me. Noting specific is stated at yet but here is more text from Pirate Ship:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Our jolly crew has been hard at work adding a new carrier to Pirate Ship, which we'll be launching on October 3rd, right in the nick of time! Unfortunately we can't give you more details until then... but depending on the size and weight of your packages, this new carrier could save you a ton of treasure! You'll be able to start shipping with them instantly at super deep discounts. We'll let you know more soon."

3. ScramMan2

ScramMan2 Forum Resident

Please keep us updated. I think last year Media Mail was not in the notched up rates, but I know they just got increased quite a bit.

4. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

The pirates will never top media mail. Cheap and unusually fast nowadays.

5. giantleech

Yeah, I know it's really not likely that Pirate Ship will offer a service that matches or bests the price of USPS Media Mail but I am more curious as to what exactly it is that Pirate Ship "has up its sleeve" for whatever this new, additional, coming service is to entail.

6. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

25 pounds from Denver to New Hampshire in 5 days media mail. Top it pirates.

7. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

I've seen it speculated that they will be adding Fedex Smart Post. I've also seen the opinion expressed that Fedex Smart Post bites the wax tadpole.

8. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

Fedex Smart Post or under $10 for 5 days from Denver to New Hampshire USPS.

9. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

No possible way they beat USPS media mail rates.

The holes for undercutting the USPS are with Priority Mail and higher classes.

For the past year, FedEx was frequently undercutting USPS with some crazy discounts (e.g. 80% off rack rate), especially on small packages.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2021
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.