Pixies - Bossanova MFSL UDSACD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Spaceboy, Oct 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. My copy is on its way from Borders. I've liked the two previous Pixies' SACDs.

2. plickfu

plickfu Active Member

Mine is on its way from Borders, too. It's taking forever (got to love free shipping!), but I'm looking forward to it. And, as an added bonus, my purchase pays Steve's mortgage this month.

3. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

Could we have some more info regarding this? I tried to find out more info on that surf track and came up short.

4. ivor

ivor Senior Member

5. plickfu

plickfu Active Member

I'm just putting this on my iPod as I type. I will give it a "proper" listening this evening. Any idea why the bar along the top of the CD packaging ("Original Master Recording") is grey/silver this time as opposed to gold for the other two Pixies releases? All three are hybrid SACDs.

6. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

Just got mine yesterday.
    I found this to be a LOT more listenable than the original CD, which had that wretched 80s snare sound that prevented me from turning it up much past half volume (a'la The Sisters Of Mercy Floodland).

This SACD has a lot smoother sound, though it doesn't totally lose that overly bright snare, at least it's toned down to a tolerable level. Nice cymbal detail the original didn't have, plus the CB radio/bullhorn effect on some of the vocal parts is not so abrupt or jarring. Plus the rack & floor toms have a lot more satisfying 'oomph'.

Lots of nice details I didn't hear on the original CD, like a lot more of Kim Deal's backing vocals (they are there, but multi-layered and somewhat low in the mix), plus a lot of layers of acoustic guitars. Also, I can finally hear that Theremin in the album credits. Overall, the MoFi version makes me like this album a lot better than before. :righton:

punkmusick likes this.
  7. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

Im enjoying these Pixies reissues. Not a band I got into when they were around. Kind of underground for my part of the world. But they are one fresh sounding band to me. Much of it is timeless stuff. Glad MOFI did these.

George P likes this.
  8. ivor

ivor Senior Member

My copy of this arrived today. I know that the mastering engineer is a member here, but on my equipment I like my old CD copy more (GAD 0010).

I did a level-matched blind test using Velouria from MFSL's CD layer and my old CD. To my surprise, I liked the old CD better. The MFSL seems to have more stuff going on in the top end, and Frank Black's voice sounds less natural. Also, the MFSL sounds congested to me on some of the busier parts of the song (the loud drum hits). The bass sounded the same to me on both versions.

Also, the CD layer has a couple of clicks in the intro to Velouria (at 4 and 9 seconds). These aren't on the SACD layer. I haven't listened closely to the whole thing, but hopefully there aren't others. Does anyone else's copy have these?

So... if the MFSL sounds better to you, I'd be interested in knowing what you're listening on. I'm definitely using cheap equipment. I'm going to compare Allison next, maybe that will be different.

ggggreenisaac and George P like this.
  9. ivor

ivor Senior Member

I compared Dig For Fire against my old CD, and the MFSL is definitely better here. As someone mentioned previously, the snare isn't as overbearing.

Also, in the last couple days I've noticed that the minidisc deck I'm using for a DAC from my computer has harsher highs than my receiver, so that contributed to my earlier observations.

10. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

I have been doing this for months now, but what do I do with all of my copies? I have opened them all up and played each one to ensure that it works, but now I have hundreds of these discs laying around.

George P likes this.
  11. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

(voice of Foghorn Leghorn) "Son, that's why we got dem classifeds tucked away heah.. just one click away..." ;)

12. nukevor

nukevor Active Member

I gotta get this thing! When are the other titles supposed to be released?

13. ynnek4

ynnek4 Forum Resident

only a potential trompe le monde mfsl is unreleased.

14. dead of night

dead of night Senior Member

Are there any more comments about how this MFSL compares to the original CD?

15. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

I think I'm probably in the minority here, The MFSL's are nice but I prefer my Electra US cd's, I might grab Trompe just to complete the set, the price to wow factor was not that great for me, just my opinion

George P and dead of night like this.
  16. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

I'm finding that I like Mofi's SACD mastering work more after having begun the process of addressing remaining concerns with my stereo system. My speakers are capable of a great deal of resolution, but they demand proper electronics and cables, etc.

My impression is that those with lower resolution systems (or perhaps a weak link or two) are finding that the treble isn't resolved very well. I typically blame the mastering when I don't like the sound quality, but I'm learning that sometimes the problem is the system. Hang onto the SACDs and revisit them after system upgrades.

I don't have Bossanova Mofi SACD yet, but I'm eager to hear it. I've enjoyed Surfer Rosa and Doolittle. Haven't picked up Trompe yet either.

c-eling likes this.
  17. c-eling

I think because I've listened to the old US for decades I'm used to that sound, Was listening to the MFSL SACD's again the other day, they are nice, but I can't pinpoint and say which is "better" :cheers:

George P likes this.
  18. Zomvid

Zomvid Delicate Genius

I'm hearing these clicks too, does anyone else have this problem? Reminds me of Music from Big Pink SACD, a bit annoying since I love this track.

George P likes this.
  19. Zomvid

Zomvid Delicate Genius

I hear them on Ana (@ 0:02/0:12) and Velouria (@ 0:04/0:09)

George P likes this.
  20. c-eling

Did MFSL do another run on these at one point? I think I remember seeing a "back in stock" blurb or something

21. B_a_R

B_a_R Forum Resident

Def same impression of the SACD as well as the MOFI vinyl release of this. Bummed. :(

22. pablorkcz

pablorkcz ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

Does anyone know if this disc had been repressed at any point sans digital clicks?

23. pablorkcz

pablorkcz ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

I just inquired about this. The answer via MoFi customer service:

We have only had one other report of this issue. I suggest exchanging it with the retailer where you made the purchase. Sorry again for any inconvenience.

c-eling likes this.
  24. George P

George P Notable Member

Did you ever exchange your copy? I bought #2731 this week from Music Direct and the noise issues reported earlier in the thread are definitely there.

Me too! And I hear them in the beginning of Rock Music and the end of Blown Away as well. :mad:

For people who have SACD capability, can you listen to the SACD layer and see if the noise is there as well?

Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
  25. pablorkcz

pablorkcz ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

I didn't, I think a replacement would have been the same, plus it was a long time after I'd bought it. I'm pretty sure it isn't a manufacturing defect if other people are reporting the same exact thing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.