PJ Harvey vinyl

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Theo_analog, Jul 29, 2019.

1. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

Thanks.

Seems obvious to me. Noticeable. Must of played that lp for a week straight. Noticed differences. Just different. Still cool. Happy to have it

2. Pollyjean

Pollyjean Forum Resident

Get Is This Desire? out today!

dee, Greenalishi and Chrome_Head like this.
  3. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Just picked it up! The cover is textured like on the 1998, the printing looks great only the vinyl on the new one is heavier. All in all this is a fantastic job! Visually at least because I have yet to play it. Good luck to people still trying to sell their original for 200+ bucks. :unhunh::idea:

4. WithinYourReach

WithinYourReach Resident Millennial

It's here! I'll be cleaning this and a batch of records tonight. Perfect album for the midnight hour.

[​IMG]

dee, qwyjibo, Chrome_Head and 4 others like this.
  5. domesticmachine

domesticmachine Resident Forum

It’s a perfect day, WithinYourReach!

dee, Pollyjean, Greenalishi and 2 others like this.
  6. Rob Byrne

Rob Byrne British, music lover

I’ve just listened to my shiny new Desire vinyl and I’m feeling very happy indeed. It sounds amazing - and what a great album it is! Possibly her most varied, and possibly my favourite.

7. eetu

eetu Forum Resident

This is a sweet, sweet reissue. A very quiet pressing, which is a must for this album.

I’ll probably grab the demos record, too.

dee, Greenalishi, johnnybrum and 2 others like this.
  8. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I had never really listened to "Is This Desire?" Its now my favorite PJ Harvey album. This reissue series is making a fan out of me.

What all has been reissued now as far as proper albums?

WithinYourReach and Chrome_Head like this.
  9. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

Dry
    Rid of Me
    To Bring You My Love
    Dance Hall at Louse Point
    Is This Desire
    Stories From The City (upcoming)
    Plus demos for all but Dance Hall

Chrome_Head and mpayan like this.
  10. Neonbeam

Just played "Is This Desire?" and the demos back to back and: Wow! The demos are impressive, showing that Harvey is a fully equipped one woman garage band. Very good versions. "Is This Desire?" is the first "proper" reissue album I bought from this series and it's supremely well made.

Chrome_Head, Rob Byrne, dee and 5 others like this.
  11. Django

Django Forum Resident

Good to hear the positive feedback.
    I ordered a copy today.

12. johnnybrum

johnnybrum Forum Resident

Been getting all of these reissues on 'day one' from local record store , but they're closed this week due to Covid... Will get ITD? + Demos eventually, as the record store owner has them saved for me, but it's agony having to wait another few days....:sweating:

Chrome_Head likes this.
  13. Neonbeam

Good choice! It's a really good reissue series, no obvious "mistakes" like blown up, blurry artwork. They even got the texture right. All that for 21 bucks?

Chrome_Head, dee and Pollyjean like this.
  14. cgw

cgw Forum Resident

Just picked up Is This Desire. Listening now.
    I don't how many copies the local shop have/had, but I grabbed the last one they had out as soon as I walked in.

Chrome_Head and dee like this.
  15. kannibal

kannibal Forum Resident

Listening to the proper album now, and it sounds great with dead silent playback. What is really eye opening are the demos! Except for the “studio polish” the songs are all there. I kept expecting the demos to be missing the little things that sound more like studio ideas, or spur of the moment type finishing touches, but most of what you hear on the finished album is all there in the demos. Truly impressive songwriting. It really just elevates her more in my book.

Chrome_Head, Neonbeam and Greenalishi like this.
  16. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

Just got my copies of ITD and ITD Demos. Looks like they stopped offering up download codes. I still have my special Best Buy edition of ITD, but I was hoping to add the demos to my Roon.

Chrome_Head and dee like this.
  17. dee

dee Senior Member

Interesting. Thanks for posting. I bought the album proper yesterday. Wanted to sample the demos before buying those too.

18. dee

dee Senior Member

I started on Side 2 first. Was a hit with me. Wow. Intense, trippy, aural pleasures! I know side 1 pretty well ingrained in the ol memory but really I didn't know which side was which lol. Sounds strong and clear to my ears. My only complaint (of course!) is in River where the quiet vocal SEEMS based on memory and what I was hearing around it now - below, above, around the tone of it - a little more obscure to my ears than I previously recall it being.
    So that song being an album highlight for me, I'll have to compare it to the cd. Overall, side 2 was a an ear-opener and mind-bender.

Side 1 was more familiar listening territory for me. Again, from memory, and from listening now, the bass in Angelyne, seemingly, if so, thankfully, sounded a little toned down. It always 'stuck out' to me before. Here the cymbal crashes sounded wonderfully dramatic, guitar strums clearer and crisper, piano more music box tinkling, there just seemed more space for other instruments and sound to flourish. And those swirling organ circling at the end. I enjoyed the rest of side 1. No real surprises to me otherwise on Side 1.

Outstanding piece of work this album. I forgot just how superb it is.

Going to check out the demos and also revisit her debut LP which I bought a few months ago.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2021
    Chrome_Head and Pollyjean like this.
  19. kamchatka

kamchatka Forum Resident

I've been listening to "Is This Desire?- Demos," and it is phenomenal. I like the demos quite a lot more than the original album; the sparser, raw texture is more in line with my aesthetic (but I haven't listened to the original in a while). The LP pressing and sound quality is excellent.

PJ Harvey is a freakin' genius, and I honestly think this reissue+demos series is one of the greatest things ever to happen in the history of record releases.

20. eetu

eetu Forum Resident

I really like the approach of separate album reissue and demos. Much more consumer-friendly than overpriced deluxe editions.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  21. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Finally got around to spinning the Is This Desire demos record. I have to say that these are the best of the demo editions yet, IMO.

I've always liked the track "The Garden" as is, but the version here is the standout track--sparse, hushed and crepuscular. "No Girl So Sweet" is startling in this stripped-down form. "The Wind" is almost even more haunting when shorn of the electronica touches (though yes, I did note the blip here before the last verse--damaged tape splice?). It's too bad that the distorted vocals on the demo of the title track couldn't have been more cleaned up, likely they were recorded that way.

It's remarkable that most of the beat sequencing heard on the final album minus "The Wind" is present here in demo form. Did Polly program all of this herself? Guess I might consult my copy of Siren Rising, which I haven't read in years, and see if there's any relevant info on the writing/recording of this album.

To me, this is her most fascinating era.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2021
  22. Giorgio

Giorgio Forum Resident

I finally found the time to listen to Dry's vinyl (I just got it, I'm late with this feedback, I know), everything perfect, clean and quiet, it sounds really good.
    Except in the first part of "Oh My Lover", where after about 22 seconds, and for all the following 30 seconds or so, there are light noises, creaks. Everything else in the song sounds beautiful, like the rest of the album.
    No marks on the vinyl, which I washed twice.

Mine is an EU copy, this: P J Harvey – Dry (2020, The Vinyl Room Cut, Vinyl)

Does anyone else have this problem?

Chrome_Head likes this.
  23. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

Played through the ITD Demos lp, really great. This was the one album I heard but never ended up owning back in the day, but I do remember the songs. I love the distorted bass on "Elise". Way more distorted than on the album. This whole series has been fantastic.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  24. dee

dee Senior Member

Am looking forward to the Stories LP!

I am ready, fwiw, ha, to maybe hear another Demos disc that differs more from the proper album. Maybe Stories will be one? Not a 'complaint' :) just that I am probably all set now with the 1 ITD album, despite The Wind, Angelyne, The Garden, and the title track demos sounding fresh and appealing to me as they are, independent of the proper album tracks. I suppose the Thom Yorke vocals may not be on three tracks from the Stories Demos? For TBYML it worked the opposite for me in that I purchased only the Demos LP. With Dry I bought the reissued album. Eventually I will try to get the Rid Of Me LP. Those 1st 3 songs are epic.

richbdd01 and Chrome_Head like this.
  25. John D.

John D. Senior Member

Is This Desire now my most favorite LP in this re-issue series. Glad to hear all the positive remarks regarding the Demo LP, got to have it too. :agree:

scarfaceclaw and Chrome_Head like this.