PJ Harvey vinyl

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Theo_analog, Jul 29, 2019.

1. dee

dee Senior Member

+1 too! on a substantial or comprehensive B Sides and More compilation or collection on vinyl as maybe hinted at by John Parish? I really hope that happens! If so, even if its only a multi cd set. A 2 or 3CD set and 2LP set perhaps if it happens? Fwiw I feel like 'quality control' of such a project is harder to maintain on vinyl imo as opposed to digital where it's so much easier to skip around and past tracks and program, etc.? Though I suppose if the artist, etc, deem a track worthy of re-release or its previously unreleased then the format doesn't really play much of a role.

The White Chalk album is a personal favorite, but hard for me to imagine the Demos could be much different than the finished album on that one? I'm at a loss as to what the Demos could be like for LES and H6DP. I have the latter album. I like the artwork and poster. I have only have had a modicum of interest in those 2 albums - some tracks moreso than others - but who knows, Time & Experience may even sometimes do me a favor regarding them.

2. beginthebegin

beginthebegin Harmonicat

just got wind of this series (been too caught up with so many jazz reissues) - ordered the studio ISD yesterday and will get SFTCSFTS. I'm in the US, read through the discussions, and seems a few of these releases had United pressings - are they still pressing them there? Also, seems like the demo releases at least are ADA if not AAA, yes? Where all her albums recorded in analog (not a deal breaker, just wondering). Finding out about this made my day yesterday BTW!

Neonbeam likes this.
  3. aseriesofsneaks

aseriesofsneaks Forum Resident

Only the US pressing of Dry was done at United and that was due to the album having different rights holders in different territories (Island/Universal in North America, Too Pure in the UK and Europe). The pressing for all other markets was done at MPO and is much better quality.

Island/Universal hold the worldwide rights to everything else that’s been released in this series thus far, so there’s only been one pressing for all territories and they’ve all been done at Optimal.

sennj, hutlock, GentleSenator and 2 others like this.
  4. Pollyjean

Pollyjean Forum Resident

White Chalk and Uh Huh Her are basically as bare as they come so I don't know how a demos album would even work.

The LES demos will likely just be Polly and her autoharp & guitar, they should be pretty interesting.

Hope 6 demos would be interesting as the final songs are very bombastic and if the maximalist production is removed some of the songs will probably shine more. The Ministry of Social Affairs could be totally different without the final saxophone performances on them.

Chrome_Head, dee and hutlock like this.
  5. RubenH

RubenH Forum Resident

I've posted this in the PJH Demos thread, but the Is This Desire demo LP is physically and sonically perfect. The demos are not day/night from the album proper (which I have only on CD), but there are enough small differences to make it worthwhile.

6. RubenH

RubenH Forum Resident

How does the LP compare to the CD (if you've heard the CD) ?
    For the record, I got the demos vinyl and it is spectacular in every sense.

7. dee

dee Senior Member

I am looking forward to the next 3 proper album releases actually. I think I rate Uh Huh Her and Stories pretty equally, to me, and WC is one of PJH's most unique and enigmatic albums. Well, I guess there are quite a few of those, but I guess WC is at or near the top of them in those respects.

Pollyjean and scarfaceclaw like this.
  8. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

The demos for "Uh Huh Her" are going to be pretty interesting.

dee likes this.
  9. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

I am currently compiling a digital FLAC version of all non-album studio material [original titles only].
    I'm a generous type, if you ask nicely ;)

LP808, porotikos, dee and 1 other person like this.
  10. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

B sides would have to be a 3 LP set as there where 3 bootleg versions that cover these (only have first 2).

dee likes this.
  11. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Anyone compared Desire reissue to the original?

12. dee

dee Senior Member

Some of the cd singles and sleeves are nice. I had collected quite a few! None I had on vinyl though.

Greenalishi likes this.
  13. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

Even if the UHH & WC demos sound very close to the album, I enjoy hearing them. Years ago Devo released the Freedom of Choice demos (on Recombo DNA), and they were very close to the finished album, yet were a joy to listen to anyway. At this point, if she didn't put out a demo disc, there would be mutiny.

Chrome_Head and Greenalishi like this.
  14. eetu

eetu Forum Resident

Never heard it. I only got into her music in the last couple of years via streaming services, so this reissue series has been a blessing for me. As a matter of fact, I saw her live during the Let England Shake tour and I thought the show was such a bore.

RubenH likes this.
  15. Totti is god

Totti is god Forum Resident

Forza Roma. Dajeee Pj

LFSDoc likes this.
  16. dee

dee Senior Member

Good Fortune demo...

Does Miss Harvey do many of her album vocals 'at home' as it seems many of the demo vocals sound very close to the album release?

I like 'the mix' of her voice and the guitars in this demo. Haven't heard this song on awhile. I think I like it better without drums. Love the sound and strum of the acoustic guitars. Guitars have a cool layered effect. As do the vocals. The lyrics really hit their mark with me in this setting.

17. dee

dee Senior Member

These demo recordings are a welcome, and for lack of a better word or phrase - an intimate glimpse or fascinating deep dive - into the songwriting and recording process. Seems and sounds like a genuinely authentic endeavour of mood and feeling, craft and skill.

My favorite part of what's below is probably when the two vocals pair to sing the title line near the end of the song. But much more there to be intrigued by and enamored with also.

18. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

I’m more of a pick and choose PJ fan, the only two albums I really wanted on vinyl were Bring you My Love and Stories. Didn’t plan on getting the demos but the Stories demos are great.

if I recall the Bring you My Love demos weeent much different but the Dry demos are stripped down and pretty good. How are the other album demos so far?

GentleSenator likes this.
  19. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

I think the Is This Desire demos are essential listening, but I've always been a huge fan of that record and those songs.

guidedbyvoices and Neonbeam like this.
  20. SlacktoryRecords

SlacktoryRecords Well-Known Member

From what I can hear, about 5 of the songs on To Bring You My Love had some of the multi tracks that were on the 4-track demos ported over to 2” tape in the studio; the rest of the 4-track demos for those songs had multi tracks that are exclusive to the demos. And the other half of the record is songs that don’t use any tracks at all from their demo versions.

If you’re undecided about which demos to check out, just listen to them on YouTube. They’re all on there, uploaded by Universal, and they’re free. The only ones you haven’t heard seem to be Is This Desire? and 4-Track Demos (which is most of Rid Of Me and a few exclusive songs).

guidedbyvoices and Chrome_Head like this.
  21. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Just mentioned in the other thread how a friend and I watched my Please Leave Quietly DVD from 2006 which chronicles the Uh Huh Her tour. Also has behind the scenes footage of her recording some of the album, and this seemed to be exclusively how she worked--flying in parts from her demos or outright tracking right on top of them.

I've heard other artists like Adam Franklin of Swervedriver say that he works the same way--that when he tried to re-record parts from certain demos, the vibe would be completely off. Polly also instinctually seems to trust in the initial spark or vibe captured in a moment, rightly so.

johnnybrum likes this.
  22. rubberhead

rubberhead You could pay as little as $5 per treatment*

Damn, this thing has a lot more bass than the 192Kbps MP3s someone generously shared with me at the turn of the century

23. WithinYourReach

WithinYourReach Resident Millennial

My favorite album from her is finally here. So thrilled this got a long-awaited reissue.

[​IMG]

24. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

I’m thoroughly Enjoying this on headphones. Very good pressing, but the mix, everything is clear, great soundstage, whether it’s quiet and moody or blowing Schiit up like kamikaze. Lovely

dee and Neonbeam like this.
  25. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

My US copy of the Dry re-issue was not bad, but I went ahead and ordered a UK copy from Juno Records. And I'm really glad I did. It arrived yesterday and it's a dead-quiet pressing. Highly recommended if you aren't satisfied with a US pressing.

audiolab1 likes this.