PJ Harvey vinyl

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Theo_analog, Jul 29, 2019.

1. Pollyjean

Pollyjean Forum Resident

I've bought all of mine from juno and they've been flawless.

2. John D.

John D. Senior Member

Just gave this new one a spin today, and I think it's my favorite now too. These German pressings are really nice sounding. :agree:

audiolab1, DeRosa, sonofjim and 2 others like this.
  3. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Gave the demos a spin first thing this morning. It was sure nice to see Polly's smiling face on the insert of the demos record. Was also quite floored listening to the demos--they lay bare an already nakedly emotional set of songs, probably her most direct and sensual. Great performances throughout on these demo takes.

Spun Stories tonight, what a magnificent record this is. It is both vulnerable and tough, glossy and dark, seductive and hedonistic. I'll always remember buying the CD when it came out, and that somewhat more innocent time that was pre-9/11 which is gone forever.

I never had an original on vinyl, but this reissue sounds fantastic. That is, until "The Whores Hustle And The Hustlers Whore", which is done no favors coming where it does on the final band of side one (it sounds a bit washy, unfortunately, and doesn't have the impact here that the song should have). "We Float" also has a bit of that on the other side at the end, but not as bad. I will give my copy a cleaning to see if it makes any difference.

I really hope the excellent B-sides from this era do get a release on vinyl as well--they are all about at the same caliber of the songs that appear on the album.

4. dee

dee Senior Member

Enjoying hearing many of the demos for Stories. I haven't purchased yet, but...!

You Said Something
    This Mess We're In
    The Whores Hustle
    Big Exit
    Good Fortune

I haven't heard them all yet but so far those all seem essential to me. I 'played out' most of the album when it was released so I welcome a different take the Demos offer. Stories is her most accessible, polished album, imo, which makes it alternately appealing but also always seemed a bit too calculated or conventional for her, to my ears. I think some of these Demos give the songs back to her, in a roundabout way back to the source, and I feel like her and many of the songs benefit for it.

I like the album track, but the demo for A Place Called Home sounds a little quirkier and free - the demo seems and sounds a little more eccentric. Think I have to add it to the list! Looks like I got pulled in again lol. Add Demos to the cart. One Line straight to my brain and heart and front door please.

musicnonstop and Chrome_Head like this.
  5. John D.

John D. Senior Member

What a great vinyl re-issue campaign this turning is out to be, other than the 1st U.S. re-issue of Dry, had to send that one back and order a UK pressing from Juno.
    These LP's seem to get better as they go along, recently I thought Desire was my favorite and then I get Stories From The City and that changes my mind again.
    Today will be receiving the Demo LP's of both, and can't wait. I originally had most of these on CD but they didn't grab me like these LP's do, so much great music here. :D

Chrome_Head, Neonbeam and johnnybrum like this.
  6. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

You're in for a treat with "Uh Huh Her" next! :evil:

audiolab1, Pollyjean, John D. and 2 others like this.
  7. Pollyjean

Pollyjean Forum Resident

Speaking of Uh Huh Her, if they had followed the month gap between preorders it should've already been up. It seems we're in for another break, maybe there's pressing plant delays.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  8. Speedycat69

Speedycat69 Springsteen nut

Stories from the city sounding good?

Chrome_Head likes this.
  9. Rob Byrne

Rob Byrne British, music lover

I was disappointed when it was announced that Stories was to be a single disc. As it’s her longest album I’d hoped for a double, to ensure it sounded as good as possible.

But having given the new edition a listen I’m pleased to say that it sounds phenomenal. It’s got so much more power and depth than my old CD. I am very impressed.

10. Future Nostalgia

Future Nostalgia Host of Sending Signals podcast

Agreed, “Stories...” sounds fantastic to these ears.

DHamilton likes this.
  11. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

I could use a break. I’ve been playing catch up on this series. I still need to pick up the demos from To Bring You My Love and Stories. Then I’ll be ready for the next pair.

dee likes this.
  12. Neonbeam

The album clocks in at just under 48 minutes. Which doesn't make it her longest album, that honour belongs to "Rid Of Me". "4 Track Demos" is also within the 47 minutes region. Which is perfectly ok for a single disc.

13. kevinley

kevinley Forum Resident

I received my copies of SFTCSFTS (+ Demos) and was able to give both a critical listen (and in the case of the album proper, several tracks more than once).

As with previous albums, I can hear (perhaps more than on the original CD mastering) which bits are 4-track recorded (and then ported to 2" tape at the Manor). Unfortunately, I can hear audible distortion/over saturation on some of the vocals (e.g. "Beautiful Feeling") which is no doubt imprinted on the original master recordings, and no fault of the mastering engineer or testament to pressing quality. These things don't bring me closer to the material.

OTOH, the more dynamic tracks tracks, e.g. "Whores Hustle and…" and Big Exit are not exactly revelatory, as I'd hoped based on the previous reissues which I've found wonderful in terms of mastering and pressing. In fact, I find this title merely OK and in some passages hard to listen to: congested, shrill and like a bag of glass, honestly. The mix is problematic to say the least, and this recutting certainly hits you in the face with its shortcoming. The liner notes contain images of 2" tape machines, but I really have to wonder if this was mastered from original master tapes or digital.

Given her wish for this record to be "as beautiful as possible" more care should have been taken. I'm going to give it another spin again this evening to see if my impressions differ on any of the above. Barely gets a C in my estimation so far. I do hope that changes.

VeryVnl, It's Felix and marcfeld69 like this.
  14. Rob Byrne

Rob Byrne British, music lover

Fair enough :)

Neonbeam likes this.
  15. Neonbeam

To be honest I was surprised to see that "Rid Of Me" was so long.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  16. ecosse_011172

ecosse_011172 Forum Resident

I bought Dry, Dry demos and Is this Desire, well impressed with them, dead quiet and sound great. I have Rid of Me on the way as well. However, I have SFTCSFTS already on vinyl. Any idea if there is a significant difference that would make it worth buying?

17. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

I’ve never had SFTCSFTS in any form. I find the sound from this vinyl reissue to be quite satisfactory though. It’s not going to be anyone’s system demo disc but if I bought this album in 2000 this is pretty much how I would have expected it to sound.

I like it enough, I’d probably buy a double LP version to compare but I’m not holding my breath on that one.

WithinYourReach and marcfeld69 like this.
  18. Mr. Siegal

Mr. Siegal Forum Resident

I'd appreciate more comments about the last track of side A "Whores Hustle...". Does it sound that bad?
    Is my favorite song of the album, damn...

DHamilton likes this.
  19. marcfeld69

marcfeld69 Forum Resident

I am inclined to agree. The mastering of SFTCSFTS doesn’t have as much umph as the the other non-demo releases, for me. Maybe because it’s my favourite of hers I’m being more critical; maybe it’s just that its low in volume (?). Early days, yet. Would be great to know if anyone can compare it to the original.

VeryVnl likes this.
  20. eetu

eetu Forum Resident

I found a copy of SFTCSFTS today, so I decided to stream the demos before I drop the needle.

The demos are so addictive. It's striking how they work like a completed album. I see myself returning to this version of the album very often, so I'll have to grab a physical copy.

21. Fletch

Fletch Senior Member

We’re there no download codes with Desire and Stories vinyl?

22. It's Felix

It's Felix It's not really me

It feels long.... a long bombardment of noise.... but then my fav LP by her is White Chalk at about 27 minutes long with a piano, so what do I know....!

Neonbeam likes this.
  23. johnnybrum

johnnybrum Forum Resident

I've bought everything so far, inc demo LPs, and there has been a download code included, every time.... Sorry if you're missing some :confused:

24. Mr. Siegal

Mr. Siegal Forum Resident

I don't want my download code of Is This Desire, PM if you need one.

25. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

I didn’t get one with Stories either - are they lossless or MP3?