Planet of the Apes 35th Anniv. DVD

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by FredCamp, Feb 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FredCamp

FredCamp Senior Member Thread Starter

Just picked this one up today, and I must say that I am mighty impressed. What I had hoped for most from remastered DD and DTS soundtracks was an amazing experience with the film's musical score. I was not disappointed. It sounds amazing, as does the rest of the film. The first gorilla growl in the cornfield scene, just before the hunt begins, echoed all over my livingroom.

And the transfer is great - even better than the original dvd box set release.

I haven't sampled the extras yet, but the look promising. This film has long been one of my favorites, due in part to the fact that it was forbidden to me as a child. I can remember being 8 years old and seeing the first trailer on tv, complete with Heston getting shot in the throat, and hearing my mother say "You're not going to see that!" A few years later, she relented, though, and my brother and I were dropped off at the theater for a double feature of Planet of the Apes and Beneath the Planet of the Apes. I felt like I was suddenly privy to some secret world. This dvd brings back all those memories. The transfer and the soundtrack make me feel like I'm seeing the movie for the first time again. I highly recommend it.

2. mrstats

mrstats Senior Member

Cool! I will have to view this one. I love the film, too.

3. Dean De Furia

Dean De Furia Senior Member

Watched this one last night and It is the best it has ever been. I love this movie and own it in every format. The subtitled commentary adds a lot of background info even if you think you know all about the movie. Well worth it!

4. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

I watched the DVD last night. I wasn't overly impressed with the sound. I didn't expect to be and I wasn't. The pic was far from purr-fect but it was a huge improvement over the first issue DVD that looked about 2% better than the 2nd issue Laserdisc. Me and a friend were doing lines just before the actors. We've both seen the film way, way too many times. I doubt I'd buy this film again even if it came out on D-VHS or some even better format...? Atleast they didn't change the film and throw off our dialog!

5. tone ded freb

tone ded freb Senior Member

I had to stop twice when I read that.:)

6. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

I did too after I wrote it. I haven't done those kind of lines in 20+ years!:p Billy the Mountain and I were like what they did at the Rocky Horror Film in it's latter dayz of running at the midnight movies. We knew so many of the lines. We'd blurt them out or some satire of them just before the on-screen character would.:)

7. teaser5

teaser5 Cool Rockin' Daddy

Get your hands off me you damn bloody ape!

[​IMG]

Cheers-
    Norm

8. Dean De Furia

Dean De Furia Senior Member

Re: Get your hands off me you damn bloody ape!

This is a tough one to remember correctly but I think it's:

"Take your filthy hands off me, you damn dirty ape!"

9. FredCamp

FredCamp Senior Member Thread Starter

Are you sure it's not "Take your stinkin' paws off me you damn dirty ape"?

10. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I'm too lazy to drag out the disc and check for myself, but IMDB offers the quote as:

In the 2001 remake, this gets reversed to

11. fsutall

fsutall Senior Member

Colin/Oatsdad didn't mention it, but he's posted an excellent, indepth review of the new Apes release on his web site:

http://www.dvdmg.com/planetoftheapes35.shtml

BTW, I highly recommend bookmarking the dvdmg.com web page!! It's easily my favorite site for DVD reviews and has been for the last few years.

12. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I already own the Box Set...Maybe a rebuy is in order:)
    Wonder if they're doing the Box set over?

13. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

I also own the recent box set. Don't tell me I need to buy it all over again. :realmad:

14. Michael

Maybe they're only doing the Original Title? I recall reading at HTF the possibility of a Redo of the Complete Box...Can't seem to find that info anywhere though:)??? Either way, it gets trying in the pocketbook! Geez...

15. JohnG

DVD's have gotten as bad as CD's. Constant remasters or re-packaging.

I'd understand if a few years went by but I think I bought the box set in 2003.

16. Michael

Yes, I believe it's still in Print...and at a reasonable price...I'm sure if/when they replace the current Box set...It will be very tempting!:laugh:

17. Oatsdad

You may have BOUGHT it in 2003, but it CAME OUT in 2000. I think that's a reasonable amount of time between different versions - about three and a half years. Actually, I guess that sounds like little time, but the DVD industry of August 2000 and the DVD industry of February 2004 are totally different entities. <I>Apes</I> was part of Fox's last batch of rehashed laserdisc transfers; it was good for non-anamorphic, but not up to current standards.

Some reissues are quite tacky and useless - Columbia's muy expensivo "Collector's Editions" that just toss in some paper crap and list for $50, anyone? - but in a case like <I>Apes</I>, this was Fox fixing their earlier mistakes. It's a great disc - be happy!

18. Michael

I disagree, I'm not happy:)...So one should expect to RE-Buy all their favorite DVD's multiple times? Do it right the first time:) Take for instance the new "Lost In Space" Box Set...It's a know fact there were better sources available to use, instead they chose -not- to use them! Why?...So can we expect another redo with the proper sources down the road? It's all about money...(IMO)

19. Oatsdad

One shouldn't "expect" to rebuy things, and one doesn't have to do so - no one's forcing you to get the new "Apes" DVD. If a product from 2004 - like the "Lost in Space" set, if what you say about the inferior source material's true - doesn't look and sound as good as possible within financial reason, then you've got a real reason to gripe. At this stage of the game, DVDs should all be as good as possible.

JohnG's complaint gave the impression the old "Apes" just came out last year, whereas that's not true. As I mentioned, 2000 was still kind of the dark ages for many DVD studios. Fox didn't even release ANY DVDs until late 1998, and it took them a while to take the format seriously.

I understand irritation that the discs weren't "done right the first time", but you have to understand the state of the industry at the time. Again, a DVD from the last couple of years has no excuse not to be excellent, but the original "Apes" came out before Fox fully committed themselves to anamorphic transfers.

If Fox puts out ANOTHER "Apes" DVD in a couple of years that tries to milk you somehow, I'll be right there with you to complain. In this case, though, I stand behind them. They're righting a wrong, and while one can argue they should have done it correctly in the first place, at least they put out a superior product now...

20. JohnG

It's good to see that this 35th Anniv Edition is at least worthy. Guess I'll pick it up in due time.

21. Michael

Time will tell if FOX does just that:) It's more likely than unlikely...
    I agree with you on some of this...And...let's just hope they stop redoing T2!:laugh:...Referring to "Lost In Space", They actually released this with parts edited! I believe Mr.Burns made a few statements about sub-quality of the sources used for the LIS Box...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.