Plastic Ono Band box coming in 2021

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lennonology, Nov 26, 2020.

1. appleboy

appleboy Forum Resident

Many Thanks. I wonder what to make if this. They can’t surely be going to release things like 5 five mixes / takes of Its Johnnies Birthday and 7 of What Is Life etc.

I see the acoustic demos all seem to be there, and the booted tracks we all know like Get Back, Gopala Krishna , Golders Green, etc

2. Phil D

Phil D Forum Resident

For force fed read - compelled to purchase because I always have and always will buy any new JOHN LENNON release.

3. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

That’s what I’m trying to get at with my “artistically it’s a double album” point. Thanks!

And I’ll still buy a set that’s just John’s album, provided it’s well-done and compelling. But this seems like a very good opportunity to release them together in one package.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2020
  4. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Every boxed set I own includes stuff I never listen to. I just don’t see how this would be any different for someone who doesn’t want the Yoko.

oboogie, boggs and DK Pete like this.
  5. Joel Nohnn

Joel Nohnn Forum Resident

There's no way all this will get released from the Harrison estate but it stops other record companies from compiling those "grey" releases We will get the best stuff and other unknown material that hasn't appeared on bootlegs.

6. Willowman

Willowman Senior Member

'Double Fantasy' must have driven you nuts!

ARK, rainingdogs, oboogie and 2 others like this.
  7. Phil D

Phil D Forum Resident

You got that right - and Milk and Honey. One excellent JL album in there. I remember playing DF for the first time and being incredulous that a man as savvy and talented as John could possible see any merit whatsoever in puerile junk like "I'm Your Angel" to name but one. Talk about love is blind.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2020
  8. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

Great news. Impliied in the book but it is good to hear another mention even if it is not an official announcement yet.

Personally I do not have a problem with the Yoko album being included. If it isn't that is fine too. John played on and was involved in both so that is fine. Clearly he rated her music. I understand that it is not to everyone's taste and that is fine. They were however recorded at the same time and shared musicians, artwork design etc. so the do live in the same universe. I have a feeling that they may not include the Yoko music as they did not on the Imagine set. Double Fantasy however will when it receives a deluxe edition.

Next year looks like being a busy one!

9. RobCooper

RobCooper Cobwebs & Strange

there’s a session of ...Soldier from 16 Feb 1971 which features in the Evolution mix on the Imagine set plus some outtakes that were on the Lost Lennon Tapes series.

I am certain that the Home Tapes version from the 2010 box is from the same session as God on that set and features Ringo on drums.

@lennonology would be the one likely able to confirm!!

applejam101 likes this.
  10. Joel Nohnn

Joel Nohnn Forum Resident

Had a listen to the Home Tapes versions of "God" and "I Dont Want To Be A Soldier" - both mixes have a similarity - piano on the right, acoustic guitar on the left (both John?) - no bass (Voorman not present?) - drums and vocals centre. With the outtake of "I Dont Want To Be A Soldier" not included on Imagine -The Ultimate Collection - perhaps this is a POB version after all - if @lennonology can confirm that would be great.

11. Ken.e.

Ken.e. Spinning music since...

Interesting 159 if it's 20 songs per CD that's 8 CDs. Seems like a lot of tracks to squeeze into 6 CD.

Perhaps some are exclusive to the Bluray discs or some song fragments. I look forward to learning more about it. Great album, I had a bootleg mp3 from the sessions that had some rock jams on it. I haven't listened to it for a long time but I recall them being good.

rainingdogs and green_ovation like this.
  12. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

Its 159 new mixes, stereo and surround. So we’re likely looking at 80-90 tracks (similar to Imagine).

Btw, I love listening to the Imagine bonus material in surround. While there may not be as much to do with POB material (essentially a trio), I wish other reissues would also include outtakes in surround.

green_ovation, IronWaffle and Plan9 like this.
  13. lennonology

lennonology Formerly pas10003 Thread Starter

That's correct, the Home Tapes version of "Soldier" - more of a jam at this stage - dates from the October 9th, 1970 session with Ringo on drums.

Chip Madinger
    www.lennonology.com

14. applejam101

applejam101 Humble Fan

Thanks Chip for the correction. How are you getting along with Vol 2?

Mr Hankey likes this.
  15. lennonology

lennonology Formerly pas10003 Thread Starter

At the rate things are moving here, we may see the next volume of Tune In first.

Chip Madinger
    www.lennonology.com

16. green_ovation

green_ovation Forum Resident

I just discovered this thread. I came over from the POB 2020 thread. I see some familiar faces!

17. green_ovation

green_ovation Forum Resident

I'm expecting about 70 songs across the CDs and then they'll be repeated with a few bonus tracks on the BluRays, that is IF they follow Imagine's format.

Ken.e. likes this.
  18. kolive

kolive 6070rock enthusiast

But when?!?

19. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

1 disc for every song on the album!

ARK and DmitriKaramazov like this.
  20. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

My guess: The week of October 9, 2021.

I believe the LET IT BE deluxe audio set and the Peter Jackson film are tentatively scheduled for August 2021. If that date holds true, then a POB deluxe set would not interfere with the Beatles project. And we know how the Lennon camp likes to release stuff around John's birthday.

21. kolive

kolive 6070rock enthusiast

Really? that would be very disappointing if we have to wait nearly a year.
    But you may be right. Since Imagine is already out, it would have naturally been slated for 2021.
    Still, I was psyched with the little blurb in the GST book about a 2020 date for POB.

Any clue about ATMP?

22. Arnold Grove

No idea. But George's birthday is late February. So let's hope for then.

IronWaffle likes this.
  23. Arnold Grove

Which turned out to be wrong---unless it was a typo, and 2021 was actually the date that was meant.

So I would not believe anything (especially with all the many delays connected to the COVID pandemic) unless there is an official announcement.

IronWaffle likes this.
  24. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

If they're announcing the box set in January (like the website says), I would expect a release date much earlier than October.

25. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

I agree, I think we are looking at the Spring release around March if the announcement is coming in Jan. Hopefully we’ll know soon!

Ken.e. and green_ovation like this.