Plastic Ono Band box coming in 2021

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lennonology, Nov 26, 2020.

1. Cristiano Cortellazzi

Cristiano Cortellazzi Forum Resident

ATMP and POB will be reasonably out during the first quarter of 2021.
    The Lennon camp officially mentions January for an announcement, and George's birthday comes in February.

Not to mention the fact that both box sets are now probably 100% completed and are only waiting for the green light.

green_ovation and Ken.e. like this.
  2. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

Does not work on the few computers that I use.

3. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

That is still the wrong link.

4. Greg Smith

Greg Smith Forum Resident

Now I love POB, but intrigued by so many supposed extras for such a minimalist album. I guess we will be getting all Live Peace (maybe rehearsals) Yoko's stuff (just as good in my opinion) along with the outtakes.
    Released demos and outtakes we've heard on the anthology and home demos aren't enough to splash out the cash for this.

Larry Geller and rainingdogs like this.
  5. lennonology

lennonology Formerly pas10003 Thread Starter

The original announcement was to have been this week, but that was before Paul changed his release date.

Chip Madinger
    www.lennonology.com

RockRoom, Plan9, Critter and 6 others like this.
  6. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

If there was due to be an announcement this week then I cannot imagine that this release will not appear until the latter part of next year. It is clearly ready to go and perhaps has been for quite some time. Obviously the Paul album and now the Harrison set have somewhat compromised the scheduling but surely not for the best part of a year. The Get Back project was delayed quite dramatically but had a connected cinema film so like it or not the decision was understandable in view of the Covid issues. Paul's album will surface soon but its day in the sun will not really affect a late Winter or early Spring release for Plastic Ono Band or All Things Must Pass. They will have a respectful schedule but I would anticipate that this will not result in a prolonged delay.

We need to allow Christmas to pass but I think an early 2021 release date for both is likely. No insider info here, just a gut feeling. Yoko must be keen to see this release emerge. Likewise Olivia. 2021 desperately needs to introduce some positive vibes to enable us to put 2020 behind us. Both of these projects will help enormously in my opinion.

7. Beatlened

Beatlened Forum Resident

The companion book is out already. The music should logically follow soon after

dormouse likes this.
  8. green_ovation

green_ovation Forum Resident

Announcement in January, so I’d say late February or March. Depends on the actual announcement date, which we don’t know yet. These Beatles boxes are usually announced 6-9 weeks before they drop.

dormouse likes this.
  9. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

To be logical, the music should have been released simultaneously with the companion volume. But that did not occur.

It seems that either a change in plans (by releasing the Gimme Some Truth compilation in 2020) or delays due to the COVID pandemic led to the POB set being pushed into 2021.

10. green_ovation

As long as we're getting it early in the year, no harm done. I totally understand GST being released at his 80th birthday milestone. Sean obviously wanted to celebrate his entire career, instead of concentrating on 1 album.

11. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

Bit of a shame, would’ve been nice to celebrate the 50th anniversary this week with the BIG announcement! Perhaps drop another pre-release track (potentially an outtake) to keep fans engaged over the holidays.

I wonder if there’s now an unwritten rule among the Apple board members not to encroach on each other promo space. But I personally doubt if at this point, a Lennon announcement about a 50 year album would have any impact on McCartney III in terms of sales or general promo buzz.

Anyway, I look forward to hearing from Sean/Yoko in January!

12. lennonology

I have no insider information, but I would have to think that there is "a way things are done" at Apple, when it comes to announcing and taking pre-orders for new releases.

Take for example, if the John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band box was announced for pre-order on the same day that McCartney III was released, people might opt for the Lennon set rather than a thirteenth color variation of Paul's new offering.

I'm confident that someone here on SHTV could crack the "Apple algorithm" (if they haven't already) as it relates to when things are announced in relationship to release dates by the other board members or their estates.

Chip Madinger
    www.lennonology.com

13. green_ovation

It seems that in times like this, when there are many releases involved, they are releasing one, then announcing another. Flaming Pie was released on July 31, then we got the announcement for Gimme Some Truth. Once that was released, we got the announcement for McCartney III. You said that the announcement for POB was set for last week until McIII was pushed back, thus delaying the announcement until January.
    I hope we will get a leaked track listing for POB soon. Even if we don’t, we know January has the announcement. If it’s announced early in the month, it could possibly be released before the end of February . Then ATMP could be announced on or around George’s birthday , which would likely give us a late April release for that. Last I heard, the Get Back/Let It Be project was set for late August, so we would likely get an announcement in late June.
    Hopefully that won’t be the end. We could then possibly get another announcement after Let It Be, for whatever is to be released in the fall (hopefully another Ultimate Collection from John!)
    The survivors and the estates definitely are aware of what’s being released across the board.

Cristiano Cortellazzi likes this.
  14. BeSteVenn

BeSteVenn FOMO Resident

I scanned page 226 in the John & Yoko/Plastic Ono Band book depicting the original session tapes from the Plastic Ono Band sessions so I could zoom in and actually read the tiny print.

Box 2502 (bottom row, center left) shows "I Don't Wanna Jam" being recorded on October 19, 1970. Tape No. E99855-8T (box 2502) between takes 25 and 26 of Love. It would suggest the acoustic guitar is John and the piano is Phil Spector.

15. lennonology

@BeSteVenn That is a different improvisation altogether. Only John and Phil Spector were in the Studio on October 19th. The jam in question (Signature Box, Tr. 13) with Ringo, Billy Preston and Klaus Voormann, dates from October 9th and followed Take 22 of 'God' as it appeared on Reel E99786-8T.

Chip Madinger
    www.lennonology.com

16. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

I’ve been pushing back getting the Plastic Ono Band book. Hoping to get it same time as the box set early next year for a complete immersion! I am hoping for an early to mid Feb release with the announcement coming in right after New Year’s.

While we have the book out and have some idea of the box set (159 new mixes), so far there hasn’t been any word or talk of potential video companion (like there was for Imagine). An expanded or modified version of the Classic Albums documentary could be a possibility with perhaps some new interviews tossed in?

17. Tom Daniels

Tom Daniels Forum Resident

looking forward to it, Chip! Appreciate all the hard work.

This year may have actually pushed forward the writing as opposed to research side of Tune In Volume 2, Electric Boogaloo.

18. green_ovation

Any new hints or anything? It’s been awfully quiet here lately

Cristiano Cortellazzi likes this.
  19. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I'm curious...

20. Phil_Lip

Phil_Lip Forum Resident

www.plasticonoband.com

Audio Box Set: 159 new mixes → announcing Jan 2021

Electric Sydney and rediffusion like this.
  21. masterbucket

masterbucket Senior Member

22. rediffusion

rediffusion Forum Resident

“Audio Box Set: 159 new mixes → announcing Jan 2021”
    plasticonoband.com

How can they get that many mixes from so few tracks?
    11 on John’s, 6 on Yoko’s and a few singles from 1970

Electric Sydney likes this.
  23. MerseyBeatle

MerseyBeatle Martha my dear (1995-2012)

The Plastic Ono Band from Beatles Book Monthly (and signed by Alan White)
    [​IMG]

24. MartyGabriel

MartyGabriel Jaded Realist.

I would laugh so hard if it were one disc of John's album and 3 discs of aieieiaeiieiaeiaiaieiaeee!!

25. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

They count all the remixes in stereo and surround as different mixes. Plus there are the alternate takes, demos, etc...

ARK and rediffusion like this.