Checking if there is wobble on brand new Technics SL-1500C * UPDATE - Problem Now Solved!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by dennis1077, Sep 26, 2021.

1. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Definitely call your dealer.

This kind of thing is always stressful. I feel your pain! But I am sure your dealer will take care of you.

2. dennis1077

dennis1077 Forum Resident Thread Starter

It's tempting but these smaller operations typically have underwhelming return policies. Apparently all new items are simply NOT eligible for returns.

Sales / Refund Policy

3. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

I'd love to see a video of the wobble and wonder if Dennis tried what Davey suggested to him of putting the stylus guard on, remove the platter mat, and cue the arm of the bare platter and lower it just enough to see the variation of the platter's rotation under the protected stylus.

Big Blue, punkmusick and Ingenieur like this.
  4. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

Yeah it's a local store here in San Diego. I don't recall them doing online sales last year. When possible, it's always cool to buy local since it's easier to resolve issues obviously. Plus, you can always have them take out the new unit and give it a spin to do the QC check. Good luck!

5. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

dennis1077 likes this.
  6. dennis1077

I guess I didn't look very extensively. Crutchfield, Music Direct, and Audio Advice had them backordered and I just gave up hope of getting one.

I'm still curious how a small operation with two stores is getting restocked before large, national, distributors.

7. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Could be that the bigger stores have their stock sold before receiving it.

8. Davey

Davey NP: Michael A. Muller ~ Mirror Music (2024 LP)

Turntable Lab also has stock on the silver (apparently), they are pretty big, and have a fairly normal return policy.

Rattlin' Bones and dennis1077 like this.
  9. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

@dennis1077 you've got half the board shopping for / with you - you'll find one LOL

33na3rd, aunitedlemon and dennis1077 like this.
  10. dennis1077

It turns out the place I originally bought one from has another in stock. I shot them an email earlier but I think I'm going to call tonight.

I love how everyone is seeking out a replacement! Honestly, I love the way this thing sounds.

aunitedlemon and TheVinylAddict like this.
  11. aunitedlemon

aunitedlemon Unity is in the pith.

Not to further muddle your decision making but the black is really sharp!
    [​IMG]

Pavol Stromcek and 33na3rd like this.
  12. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Just a dog looking for a home...

Someone gave you some good advice:
    Lower stylus guard
    Remove mat
    Lower stylus on outside at a radius that won't hit the holes
    Lower until it barely makes contact
    Spin the platter by hand very slowly
    See if the cartridge to platter gap varies

video it

No machine is perfect. My GR has a variance, I measured it with a run out dial. It it within spec

13. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Nicem but doesn't pop!

dennis1077 likes this.
  14. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

Unless the friction pulls the stylus guard off!:yikes:

15. Pythonman

Pythonman Forum Resident

Dump it back to the seller for new replacement or refund. It’s not going to fix itself.

rockclassics likes this.
  16. Pythonman

Pythonman Forum Resident

My SL1200 MKII had a flat platter but the strobe pattern wasn’t steady machined. Looked bad but was locked at 33 1/3. The real problem was the arm had bum loose bearings that caused IGD, MGD and BGD.

But I wasn’t for sure about that crummy arm until I tried some of the same hashy sounding Grados and Pickering carts on a Pioneer PL530 and they played perfectly with no mistracking. My point being, I screwed up and didn’t send that table back to J&R Music World and get a new Denon DP59L for $100 more.

17. Rattlin' Bones

Rattlin' Bones Grumpy Old Deaf Drummer

That is where I got mine this summer. No problems.

18. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

That is a deal killer for me. No way would I buy from a dealer who does not stand behind the new merchandise they sell.

19. Francois1968

Francois1968 Forum Resident

It's quite remarkable that contemporary turntables that are all but cheap show so many shortcomings. Lack of quality control, design flaws and more. I'm not only referring to Technics but brands in general.
    This is one of the reasons why I feel that in many cases buying a well maintained or refurbished table from the golden age of vinyl (late seventies-early eighties) is more worthwhile than buying a modern table, at least in terms of value for money.

Joel S likes this.
  20. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Just a dog looking for a home...

You are not returning it, you are exchanging and making a warranty claim.
    It's defective.
    You do not want your $ refunded, you want a non-defective product.
    There are consumer laws that protect you.
    They can't sell you a broken item and refuse to replace it.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2021
    Big Blue, Pythonman and aunitedlemon like this.
  21. dennis1077

Ha! My girlfriend prefers the silver and that's how she described it. She said it "really pops" against the black audio rack.

Slick Willie likes this.
  22. dennis1077

I considered trying this last night and got nervous. My stylus drops so low it would hit the platter and I just nixed the entire idea.

imgur.com

23. dennis1077

My new Technics was actually doing this! The tonearm kept lowering by itself. The problem was solved once I turned off the auto lift function (which I really didn't care about).

24. Davey

Davey NP: Michael A. Muller ~ Mirror Music (2024 LP)

Not sure I follow, you would be holding the tonearm above the platter with the cue lever, not lowering it all the way to platter.

In any case, if you really want to check it there are many easy ways, you just need a reference, the way I mentioned uses the end of the tonearm as a reference so doesn't require any extra effort, but you can also just bend a paper clip to position the tip close to the platter to check the gap as the platter is rotating. You shouldn't really see any change in the gap as it rotates ...

[​IMG]

theMot, beowulf, Big Blue and 4 others like this.
  25. Slimwhit33

Slimwhit33 Forum Resident

You don't have a stylus cover?