SH Spotlight Play the Kinks "Waterloo Sunset" in stereo, check and fix or improve your stereo playback with it!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Jun 15, 2013.

1. NapalmBrain

NapalmBrain Forum Resident

I used this again today after getting a new audio cabinet and having to rearrange my listening room, took me 4 plays before I got it but thanks again for this tip. This is one of the greatest pieces of audio setup advice I can pass on to others, it works great with any format too I have used YouTube at times but I am still borrowing my friends tri color reprise it got warped in an unfortunate pairing of going on his honeymoon and his AC dying and coming home to a 100 degree apartment. It looks like it is on a boat but it plays through and allowed me an easy calibration with a refresher from this thread. Thanks Steve!

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

You're welcome!

NapalmBrain likes this.
  3. Billo

Billo Forum Resident

I have my stereo speakers positioned just as Steve has advised

between them on my wall is a copy of J.M.W. Turner's classic painting;
    'The Fighting Temeraire tugged to her last berth to be broken up 1838'
    (the painting of the 'bloody big ship' Daniel Craig's James Bond is observing in The National Gallery, London when he meets the new young 'Q' in 'Skyfall')

the scene is at sunset on the same 'dirty old river' River Thames and boy does The Kinks 'Waterloo Sunset' sound superb (with Dave Davies backup vocal so vital in creating a wistful vocal backdrop) and sounds so fitting when looking at Turner's painting which eerily reflects an 'End of Empire' feeling as the sun is going down just as does so much of Ray Davies nostalgic music especially on 'Waterloo Sunset' which is in atmosphere as hauntingly ghostly as is the image of The Fighting Temeraire in the painting....

Last edited: Feb 2, 2021
  4. All Down The Line

All Down The Line Forum Resident

How about Rasa Davies?

5. Billo

Billo Forum Resident

I haven't seen any of her paintings - any good ?

6. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

Does anybody know how many degrees out of phase the backing vocals are on this song? One of my favorite artists is working on a song with a psychedelic Mellotron part, and I think it would be really cool to mix that Mellotron like the backing vocals here so it sounds like surround sound in stereo. I haven't got space in my home to set up the speakers I don't have in this manner, though. That makes mixing it this way pointless, I realize :) but it would still be a neat trick to try.

All Down The Line likes this.
  7. RobCos02330

RobCos02330 Forum Resident

Wonderful. Mission accomplished. Thanks!

8. I'd love to do this, but I live in a condo with a wife who prays the rosary three times a day and a boy who is scampering around like a mouse this way and that and I'm lucky to have any kind of stereo dynamics given the axis encroachment (my record collection in shelves all around me holding its ground) and I feel like a wobbly soldier with clammy hands on my trusty rusted rifle alive, awake, and at attention on the cold beaches of Dunkirk. I'm pushing a full-court press to forestall the anti-vinyl forces that sometimes pop out their heads out of the green like any of the robotic mole mugs from that interactive smash 'em and mash 'em Chuck E. Cheese game back in the early 1980s.

9. All Down The Line

All Down The Line Forum Resident

I can relate to that!

10. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Actually, it can be pretty warm on the beaches of Dunkerque. Even in October. Last time I was there, I had some lovely mussels while sitting outside watching the kite surfers. Missed my music, mind.

11. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

I started a thread today even though I knew about this thread but forgot phase issues were mentioned. It said this:

“I was listening at work to Kink Kronikles through a JBL Clip 3 (so it’s folded to mono). The “Sha La Lahhhs” on Waterloo Sunset were almost inaudible. Has anyone heard of a phasing issue with that song? I know our host uses it to test speaker placement but I don’t know if that’s related.”

12. eyeCalypso

eyeCalypso Forum Resident

Makes sense if it's out of phase in stereo, which I guess it is to give it that holographic magic.

Keith V likes this.