Please explain the Naim mystique...

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ghostofzuul, Apr 6, 2020.

1. DiggyGun

DiggyGun One Box Is The Future

Can understand you not wanting Naim gear, and that you are happy with your “mix n match hodge podge gear.

I’m happy that you are satisfied, but why be offensive and insulting to others who have a differing opinion to you?

Chris81, Tim 2, bhazen and 2 others like this.
  2. Delnia19

Delnia19 Well-Known Member

I was looking for an integrated amp to go with my Harbeth M30.1. I have had various combinations with these speakers (separates, integrated, transistor, tubes, etc) and sold the majority of my gear (need space to make a new room in the house) and will now be listening from our living room. With the pandemic and all, I was unable to go listen at my dealer, but he was adamant that I try the supernait 3. I had listened to a supernait (don't remember if it was 1st or 2nd gen) and some other Naim separates a few years back at my dealer's demo room, but never really "clicked".

He insisted so much that I should try the Supernait 3 that I caved in. He left the amp at the door for me to pick up. Full refund available after a week if I was not satisfied. Well, the Supernait 3 convinced me! I'm definately keeping it. I don't now what it is, but there is a beautiful synergy with the M30.1. It's like there is a sparkle around the notes, the attack is sublime and dynamic range better than what I have ever heard at home. I was never a "Naim" person and still don't consider myself like one, but as far as integrated amps go, the Supernait 3 certainly delivers all the right things for me.

3. xfilian

xfilian Forum Resident

This mirrors my experience more or less to the letter. And in a way I am glad I approached Naim and the Supernait 3 with a clean slate and no preconceived notions. It allowed me to assess it completely objectively.

Zos93 and david1111 like this.
  4. Alan2

Alan2 Forum Resident

I've had Naim CD players, and still have, but not a Naim amp. Maybe next time I want to upgrade. They aren't inexpensive items, especially the Supernait.

david1111 likes this.
  5. Pmds55889397

Pmds55889397 Forum Resident

In fact the earlier Supernait's weren't bad either, one with dac and one with neither dac or phono (will power a stageline/superline)
    IME most Naim amplifiers wipe the floor of many others and added power supplies often are next upgrade.
    There's a reason the early Nait prices are gone mad.

Another strong point is service/support, you can send your 20-30 years old amplifiers to service-recap and receive back like new inside.
    At least this option is available in Europe.
    Not many other brands offer this splendid opportunity, Julian Vereker knew importance for customer loyalty.

Tim 2, Alan2 and david1111 like this.
  6. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Forum Resident

For a quality service, I don't think you can beat Witch Hat Audio, which is run by a former Naim Chief engineer.

Significantly cheaper than using Naim, I had my 30 year old amp serviced last year, brilliant service and they're very happy to talk and advise.

Witch Hat also make superior cables.

Witch Hat Servicing

david1111 likes this.
  7. skimminstones

skimminstones Forum Resident

Got my first bit of naim kit recently in the uniti atom. Doesn't quite have the bass that my primare i21 had but has a lot more clarity and detail. Currently running it with some monitor audio bx5 floorstanders which I may change soon. The main thing I've found though is every time I'm listening to it im not analysing it to death and find myself involuntarily tapping my feet along to the music. No idea if that's the PRaT people talk about but I am enjoying listening to music more than previously.

Steeve, david1111, james and 2 others like this.
  8. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

I use WitchHat Phantom speaker cable and their Morgana DIN-XLR cables for my 300DR amp. They have first rate cables. The Phantom is less costly than Naim's NACA5 (at least in the U.S.), and sounds better, IMO.

david1111 and Pastafarian like this.
  9. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Forum Resident

Yep that's PRAT but don't say you believe in it, if you want to remain labelled as sane.

david1111 likes this.
  10. _cruster

_cruster Forum Resident

You've never heard a complete Naim system, but the people who have complete Naim systems are just fanboys, and you thought you'd stop by to let everyone know. Cool!

Josquin des Prez and dianos like this.
  11. Waymore

Waymore Forum Resident

My old McIntosh Mac 4100 receiver was dying a slow death. Just got a 1 year old Naim Nait XS2 and have been very pleased thus far. It has been a significant improvement over the McIntosh.

I'm running a hodge podge of gear with it. Rega table, Parasound JC3+ phono pre amp, and my daddy's trusty old ADS L-810 speakers.

Zos93 and david1111 like this.
  12. skimminstones

skimminstones Forum Resident

As an update to this ive been listening this evening to some albums and along with the foot tapping that seems constant ive just found myself grinning like the proverbial Cheshire cat.

Seems so much more musical and enjoyable than ive been used to.

Tim 2, Steeve, Zos93 and 1 other person like this.
  13. david1111

david1111 Barba non facit philosophum

Yep ... I find the same thing since I switched to Naim gear about 2 years back. My music just sounds more enjoyable all the time.
    My Naim kit makes any speaker I connect it to, sound great. And it doesn't matter so much, where I place the speakers anymore. With my other gear, I was always shifting the speakers and adjusting the toe-in, in order to get a good sound stage, but that's just not necessary anymore.
    And the clarity is excellent without being harsh or fatiguing.
    And I had no idea that digital could sound so good.
    I've had amps and preamps from HK, Arcam, NAD, Adcom, Ayre, Conrad Johnson, Bryston, and different tube preamps, but Naim gear just makes it easier to get good sound.
    Very happy.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2021
  14. AmericanHIFI

AmericanHIFI Long live analog (and current digital).

I use a Naim Uniti Star all-in-one lifestyle system (not as main rig). It blows my mind. Smooth, musical, and dynamic reproduction. NAIM has come a loong way.

david1111 likes this.
  15. tIANcI

tIANcI Wondering when the hifi madness will end

Naim has done a great job with marketing. All these years it’s been great and not to forget they are good. But I find that Naim separates are superb. I prefer them to the integrated.

One thing I found kinda weird about the Naim herd is they always say Naim is synonymous with ‘slam’. It’s portrayed as if Naim sound is hard hitting.

I’ve found that Naim is not that hard hitting. But it is good. It’s smooth. It’s clear. It’s everything good. Not just slam. :D

skimminstones likes this.
  16. Josquin des Prez

I can't say I agree with your comments about slam. My experience with Naim is it has that in spades. I built up my system so I can play large scale orchestral music like Mahler, which presents some big challenges for playback with the impact it deserves, and Naim delivers exceptionally well.

17. tIANcI

tIANcI Wondering when the hifi madness will end

Maybe due to the reputation I expected more :laugh:. Something like a paper cone vs a ceramic. But Naim separates are lovely.

18. frimleygreener

frimleygreener "It 'a'int why...it just is"

I was thinking of perhaps replacing my Rega Brio with a Naim integrated(different beasts I know), but the "budget" Naim models seem a bit scant on available inputs.....

19. Zos93

Zos93 Forum Resident

How many inputs do you need? The 5si only has 4 but the next up the XS3 has 6 including Phono.

20. Plinko

Plinko Senior Member

Hook up a little Nait to a pair of Altec 19s and you get...............slam. ;-)

tIANcI likes this.
  21. david1111

david1111 Barba non facit philosophum

I run a Naim NDS thru a Naim Supernait 2, and the sound is excellent. Seriously. Check out the Naim Audio Community forum, and search for SN2 (Supernait 2) threads. There are plenty of members running high-end sources, and excellent speakers with an SN2. And because it's been discontinued, it's available at good prices.
    Really ... anyone that doesn't like the SN2, hasn't heard it, or hasn't heard it with other decent gear.
    SN2 or SN3 ... not the SN1.
    The separates are fabulous of course, but I don't think I'll ever spend what it takes, considering how good the SN2 sounds.
    Cheers.

22. sbeaupre

sbeaupre Everything must go

I did a fair amount of research when I decided to buy a streamer and finally settled on a Naim ND5 XS. Since I was also in the market for an integrated amp upgrade, I coupled it with a Naim 5SI. Both were a bit more than I intended to pay, but I've been very satisfied and haven't regretted the purchase. If my positive experience is common, that might explain some of the mystique.

jhenry, Lebowski, Alan2 and 2 others like this.
  23. Naimee84

Naimee84 Well-Known Member

I've had a number of other brands over the years, British and foreign. For amplification, Naim does it better than any IMO. The excitement i get from listening to high end Naim setup is a lot of fun. Similarly when it comes to source components, I've always preferred Audio Note DACs to many others including Naim in their respective price points. It's taken me over ten years of experimenting and auditioning to draw these conclusions.

Another thing of note is Naim is exceptional in its product support. I cannot think of another manufacturer that does it the same. Once you've lived with a well setup Naim system, everything else sounds boring in comparison.

Alan2, jhenry and david1111 like this.
  24. MikeMusic

MikeMusic Forum Resident

I had Naim for over 30 years upgraded bits in the Naim line

Taken aback when a Chord SPM1200E out performed my Naim 500

Then I upgraded to Belles - stunning VFM
    Now TAD
    The sound quality delivered from this TAD D-1000, TAD 2500 and TAD speakers is stunning

Josquin des Prez and david1111 like this.
  25. Josquin des Prez

I have a seven-box Naim system with Fraim. It sounds fantastic, but I've wondered now and then if I might want to downsize someday to a Boulder three-box system (integrated, phonostage, streamer). Boulder sounds no worse.

MikeMusic likes this.