Please Explain to me, business-wise, why the Beatles CD's have not been remastered?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by J. R., Feb 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Wait a minute! Wouldn't that defeat teh whole purpose? DVD based would mean DTS as most DVD players don't allow DVDA playback.

Whatabout a hybrid SACD done single inventory? Then everyone's CD player and computer would offer playback...

2. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I don't think the two are mutually exclusive. Part of the concept is the fact that it's "remastered" (again, allowing for the fact that it's NR'd to death). I don't know anybody who doesn't understand that "remastering" is something that's supposed to make CD's sound better. They may not want to rush out a buy every "remastered" CD, but for very special albums, it tends to be attractive.

3. dkmonroe

I only have one DVD-A, which is Deep Purple's Machine Head. It plays the MC version on my non-DVDA DVD player, but doesn't play the hi-rez stereo version without DVDA capability. I don't know if that's SOP for DVD's, but it is in that case.

4. Stateless

Stateless New Member

I agree. 27 Beatle classics on 1 CD. I think the "remastering tag" probably helps, but it probably still would sell a ton without it.

5. ReMastered

ReMastered New Member

Who can really wait? but yes wonderwall 27 classics on 1 cd .

6. jjhunsecker

jjhunsecker Senior Member

Except Bruce Springsteen and Prince !!!!!!

7. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I've have understood that the two-channel stereo mixes have been remastered and have been in the can for a few years now.

What I think is happening is that Apple is waiting the perfect opportunity to release some sort of hi-rez version, but they want to put it on a sure thing, now waste time and money on multichannel DVD or SACD, or even dual-disc.

As for redbook, why? They see no need to remaster as long as the current catalog on CD is selling well. And, some of the later ones were done right.

Then, you still have that Paul vs. Yoko thing going on...

8. photoguy

photoguy New Member

I could see another sort of "Blue Box" issued by EMI in 24/96. Little LP like jackets (like the Doors 24/96 remasters on Ryko) in a cool little box with a great booklet. The box would sell like crazy at $200+ retail for all 13 (14 CDs) albums.

9. daveman

daveman Forum All Star

My thoughts exactly.

10. OberonOz

OberonOz Senior Member

The difference for EMI is that they would sell.... AGAIN! To people who already bought them the first time, so theyre making more money. If you market it right, they would sell huge numbers, most likely to all the people on this forum for a start! but also to your average Beatle fan who sees a nice package and reads all about the new remasters. And lets face it, if EMI cant drum up HUGE publicity for a brand new Beatles remastering/repackaging then they really arent doing their job.

Steve

11. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

A DVD-A will NOT play a high rez multi-channel track on a regular DVD player, it will only play the compressed Dolby Digital or DTS multi-channel track. Also, all DVD players will play the 2 channel 24/96khz track of a DVD-A disc. I think that either your post was backwards or you need to play around with the menu on the disc after you insert it. These DVD-A's have a lot of options in their menus.

12. dkmonroe

Well, maybe it's not hi rez multi-channel, but it is multi-channel. That was my point. I know this because when I put the DVD in my PC, which has only a two-speaker subwoofer system, instruments which are mixed for the surround speakers dramatically recede into the background. For example, on "When A Blind Man Cries", the bass, drums, and organ noticably increase and decrease in volume in relationship to Blackmore's lead guitar. This does NOT happen when I play the same DVD in my 5.1 system. As for the menu, because I do not have a DVD-A system, I do not get the menu which is pictured in the booklet which allows one to select the stereo version. The only menu that appears allows me to select which song I wish to play. I have spent considerable time trying to find another explanation for this, but it ain't happenin'

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.