Please recommend small book shelf speakers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by razerx, Mar 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Helom

Helom Forum member

That applies more to reviewers who play near max output to compensate for all their hearing loss.

SpeedMorris and matteos like this.
  2. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Which NAD? The old 3020 was rated at 20W RMS but the dynamic clipping was around 55 watts. Anyway in a small room you should be fine. I like NHT and Polk, among others. My big thing is do try to get to 6" woofers-they just have more cone area to produce bass from. But you should tell us what you mean by "small": take a ruler or maybe even cut up cardboard to mock up what size would start becoming too huge. Also, would you consider smaller speakers plus a subwoofer?

paulieb00 likes this.
  3. matteos

matteos Stereotype

I don't think so. See my previous post.

4. McGuy

McGuy All Mc, all the time...

and Music Direct has closeouts, B Stock and open box buys.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  5. Ken Clark

Ken Clark Forum Resident

I had a pair of Wharfedale Denton's for a short time powered by an NAD receiver and really liked them. At low volume they needed the receivers loudness button to fill out the bottom but that's to be expected, but overall the sound was excellent and they are half your budget and look fantastic too.

Wally Swift likes this.
  6. jlykos

jlykos Forum Resident

Add another $200 to your budget and get a new pair of Audio Note AX Two speakers. Or if you want to stay below your budget, consider the Silverline Minuet Supreme Plus. Either will work really well on 25 watts.

7. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

I've had Wharfedale Dentons for over two weeks now and put about 30 hours on them so far. They sound splendid. I have them about 18" from the wall. No problem. $399 plus free shipping from Music Direct.

8. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

KEF LS50 but agree they may need some more juice.

mike catucci likes this.
  9. progrocker

progrocker Senior Member

Less than $500/pair?

Elac Debut B6.

10. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

bhazen likes this.
  11. signothetimes53

signothetimes53 Senior Member

I'll endorse the Wharfedale Dentons, too. I've had mine 3 years, and I love them. Major league 'bang for the buck'....

12. BrokenByAudio

BrokenByAudio Forum Resident

Now how do you know that? I've demoed those speakers personally. Just because you can get sound out of a speaker by putting a signal through it doesn't mean that the signal is optimized. Every speaker has a power point at which the signal seems to come alive (to "bloom" so to speak) and some speakers just need more juice to get there. It's not a complicated concept.

I was actually a bit taken aback by what needed to go into the LS50s to make them sing...I mean, they're so small!

Great speakers at the price point, no matter how you slice it.

13. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

Check out Wharfedale Diamonds and have some money left over for a sub, some cables, or better yet some music.

ZenArcher likes this.
  14. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

I will refrain from recommending any particular speakers, but will offer this advice, based on actual experience, which I gained the hard way - in a room as small as yours, stay away from rear-ported or side-ported speakers. Those may produce boomy bass, and you may hate the result. You're a lot safer with front-ported, of even closed-box designs. Even if you LOVE a rear ported speaker you hear in a dealer's demo room, but the speakers are 4-5 feet from the wall, you may still hate them in your room, 2 feet away.

Keep in mind - most of the Wharfedale's and ELAC's recommended here are rear-ported.

Paul H and mike catucci like this.
  15. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

I don't know whether you get them in the US, or price points, but how about a used pair of ATC SCM 11's ? Over here there are a few for sale "pre-owned" on EBay for under £1000. Used by professionals/studios, big, lovely sound for a small box. Win lots of awards/5* reviews.

mike catucci likes this.
  16. ToddH

ToddH Forum Resident

mike catucci likes this.
  17. mike catucci

mike catucci Forum Resident

Ascend Sierra One with the NrT tweeter upgrade if you like detail and airy highs, without the upgrade if you like warmer sound.

Helom likes this.
  18. Helom

Helom Forum member

I own some. I've driven them with 25 tube watts in my large room and they were loud enough, though I consider that to be volumes in the low 80s. Bass was plenty tight and focused as well.

19. Joe Spivey

Joe Spivey Forum Resident

Legacy Audio Studio HD.

Over your budget so my apologies, but they can be found 2nd hand for around $1K perhaps. These are going to play well with 25watts and have a nice wide response. Thought you might be interested...

System Type: 2 Driver, 2 Way
    Tweeter: 1" dual pole AMT folded ribbon
    Midwoofer: 8" Silver/Graphite woven diaphragm, cast basket, phase compensation plug
    Low Frequency Alignment: B4 Reflex, rear ported
    Inputs: 2 Pair binding posts for Treble and Bass
    Recommended Amplification: 15 - 200 watts
    Frequency Response (Hz +/- 2dB): 41-30k
    Impedance: 4 Ohm
    Sensitivity: 93 dB (2.83V @ 1m)
    Crossover: 2.8k
    Dimensions (HxWxD): 13 x 10.8 x 10.8
    Weight (each): 30 lbs
    Shipping Weight: 74 lbs per pair

[​IMG]

20. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

I like a lot of extra power for dynamic swings. :)

21. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

I'd second this advice. I listened to several speakers in a listening room at a dealers and fell in love with a pair: they sounded beautiful. I got them home, set them up, put on a CD I'm familiar with and immediately knew something was VERY wrong. The bass was just overblown and boomy. Sounded awful. I walked away; came back later in the day and had another listen but it was just dreadful. In a small room you really do need front ported or closed box speakers. The Epos I linked to earlier are front ported and they sound gorgeous in my room.

patient_ot likes this.
  22. Socalguy

Socalguy Forum Resident

This is good advice. Even if you listen at moderate levels, an efficient speaker like the Klipsch will make your NAD really sing.

23. razerx

razerx Forum Resident Thread Starter

I took the amp out of storage. It’s an NAD 902 power amp. I wrote 20 watts from memory but it’s 30 watts per channel. It is 20 years old. Hope it powers up :)

There’s a Wharfedale dealer not too far away and will have a listen these few days.

patient_ot likes this.
  24. SpeedMorris

SpeedMorris Forum Resident

Certainly good advice. However, the rear corners of my Diamond 10.1s sit 4" and 15" respectively from the 8' wall in an 8x15 room. Excellent and tight bass with zero boom. (One corner juts out, hiding what I assume are some pipes; hence the 4" for the one.)

I 'd be rather skeptical of the larger 10.2s doing well in those spots, though.

Paul H likes this.
  25. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

Mine were 10.7's in a 11x13 room - I've learned my lesson.

SpeedMorris likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.