Please recommend small book shelf speakers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by razerx, Mar 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SpeedMorris

SpeedMorris Forum Resident

I imagine so....:p

2. trip1

trip1 Forum Resident

Side ported 6 inch bass driver.
    They also image very well.
    You can also demo the Aon 3 which has more bass, that also don't over whelm you.
    Then again like some say, side ported may not work for you depending on your room.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
  3. NewKidInTown

NewKidInTown Forum Resident

I had the KEF LS 150 for 60 days and returned them. Terrible synergy with my vintage quad Marantz 4140 amp. Not to mention they were rear ported and did not do well in my location. Unfortunately in my small listening space, I did not have options of repositioning.

Now have Wharfedale Diamond 225's and really like them. Originally I was considering their 10.2 Diamonds, but after talking with the salesperson about what disappointed me about the lack of performance of the KEF's in my system, along with characteristics of my room, my vintage amp, etc., the 225's were thought to be a better fit. Bottom ported, pairs well with the Marantz. Glad I took the salesperson's advice. These are keepers. Not to mention I got these as demos, for $349 for the pair...quite a significant price difference from the KEF's!

4. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

I agree, bottom ported works better in small rooms. I have relatively large Zu Omen Dirty Weekend towers in my smallish bedroom (11x11), and I have no boominess issue with them. So, bottom ported may be another viable alternative for the OP, and yes - the 225's were TAS Product of the Year, I believe, in 2015 or 2016.

SandAndGlass and NewKidInTown like this.
  5. beowulf

beowulf Forum Resident

Omega Loudspeakers makes a small bottom ported speaker made for desktop and bookshelves.

6. zonka

zonka Forum Resident

Read up on Silverline's Minuet bookshelf speakers. Fantastic reviews. I have the Minuet Grands and LOVE them:)
    In a smaller room the Minuets would probably sound great!

7. Vignus

Vignus Digital Vinylist

I totally second this. Rare-ported speakers can turn into a disaster if you don't have enough back space. Or, even worse maybe, if you end up having them against the wall,you most likely end up with no bass at all

8. James Bennett

James Bennett Forum Resident

I second this. Had a pair of PSB Alpha for a long time as my stereo speakers and looooooved them. They perished in a fire with water damage. :(

9. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

Let me toss in another vote for the Denton’s. Reasonably efficient, relaxed sound, bass is better than you would expect.

10. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident

Being an Audio Note AX Two owner I like the previous recommendation but it's not an easy speaker to find. It is however far easier to drive and sounds better than My KEF LS-50 and it is 2/3 the price. So it may be worth the effort to find.

I also really like the Legacy Studio HD but it is $1900 new so you would need to find a second hand pair - also not as mainstream a speaker company and thus harder to find.

Wharfedale has generally always made nice sounding speakers. The Diamond series has been a staple line for - well forever it seems.

I believe the same parent company that owns Wharfedale also owns Quad and Quad makes a couple of really very good sounding Standmount speakers in the S1 and more expensive S2. They are easier to drive than KEF and look quite attractive.
    [​IMG]

willboy and SandAndGlass like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.