Please Tell Me About Alan Parsons' I Robot

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PMC7027, Dec 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

This is definately not true. In a very recent interview published in SOUND & VISION magazine, Alan Parsons states that as a purist he would never allow his back catalouge to be re-mixed into 5.1.

2. fjhuerta

fjhuerta New Member

According to some people who used to own the LP AND the original CD, the best version of those songs can be found on The Definitive Collection (although the original CD is not bad, by any means).

3. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

Which original CD? I have the first pressing Japanese and the HDAD beats the heck out of it.

4. Ed Hughes

Ed Hughes Senior Member

Imo, I think the mofi aluminum is pretty darn good too. :righton:

5. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

Look for the British Arista LP.

6. Pug

Pug The Prodigal Snob Returns!

I second this. The British Arista sounds real good! :thumbsup:

7. Kym

Kym Former Resident

Not quite. The "Projectron" was a custom-built sampler keyboard using voltage technology, a precursor to the Fairlight CMI. The Mellotron was different in that it used tapes of actual instrumental sounds whenever its keyboard was played - a far more primitive synthesizer.

All the strings on the album are real, if I'm not mistaken, though there may be string samples on the instrumental "Nucleus."

8. Anders B

Anders B Forum Resident

Well, since he told me HIMSELF, IN PERSON, after his show in Copenhagen two months ago that he is working on 5.1 releases for 2005 of "A Valid Path" and possibly the rest of the back- catalogue, I rather take his word for it than Sound and vision magazine!

9. Anders B

Anders B Forum Resident

Yes, I agree. I think the songs that benefited the most from the remastering on "The definitive collection" were the ones from "Pyramid".

This is what Alan had to say about "The Definitive Collection" around the time of its release in 1997:

"With the latest "Definitive Collection" from Arista, I am going back to the original analogue masters and use the very best available technology to get it onto CD. This collection should be the best sounding of all".

10. AKA-Chuck G

AKA-Chuck G Senior Member

I like Tales And Mystery the best followed by Turn Of the Friendly Card, I, Robot and then Eye In the Sky. I have a pretty good APP LP collection (no MFSL' though) with the first 9 LP's.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.