Pluto is a free website for movies and tv shows

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by tennesseeborder, Jun 26, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tennesseeborder

tennesseeborder Forum Resident Thread Starter

This is a decent website for movies. I saw the Longest Yard with Burt Reynolds on it. The only catch is they have short commercials, the frequency depends on what you're watching.

2. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

Interesting...I just got the app for Pluto for my Firestick yesterday and I too thought they
    had a good selection of free films. I'll be checking there often.

3. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

I have a hard time navigating the schedule in PC browser - I wish that was different, but I'm not going to complain about a free, legal service.

4. Cheepnik

Cheepnik Overfed long-haired leaping gnome

Do they really show them on a schedule? Between that and the commercials, I'm not sure how that's going to fly in the on-demand era we're in.

5. Claxton

Claxton I like chicks and cars and partyin’ hard

We've had the Pluto app on our AppleTv for close to a year. Wife loves it, especially the channel that shows nothing but Forensic Files. For a free service, it has tons of programming. The way I understand it, they're basically aggregating free streaming content from across the net and putting it into a format that mimics a cable/satellite service (everything broken out into channels with a guide interface).

I think Viacom bought them a few months ago, so we'll see how long it stays the way it is.

6. biggerdog

biggerdog Senior Member

Cool, they have an MST3K channel. Love it!

7. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

Thanks for the heads up!

MikaelaArsenault and bpmd1962 like this.
  8. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

And a Riff Trax channel!

9. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

haha! I live there! I don't know how many times ive seen Samurai Cop.....

10. Scooterpiety

I saw that one for the first time a few days ago. I can't believe how ridiculously bad that movie is!

11. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

My kids love the older Nickelodeon shows/cartoons. I like the Unsolved Mysteries channel. I've had it for a couple of years now. As stated I wish the guide channel navigated past the current and next hour. And commercials seem to be random and happen in mid-sentence. It also has an On Demand feature.

12. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

Just got a notification on my phone that they are adding more channels July 1.

MikaelaArsenault and Morpheus like this.
  13. And they have a dedicated classic Doctor Who channel too.

14. Scooterpiety

And the "Eye Candy" channel :)

MikaelaArsenault and chilinvilin like this.
  15. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

That's new to me. :eek:

I was all about watching trains in Norway. :D

16. SonOfAlerik

SonOfAlerik Forum Resident

We have Comcast cable and I did a search for PlutoTV on my remote and it came right up. You are able to watch it on your standard TV.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  17. jupiter8

jupiter8 Senior Member

it is now owned by Viacom so expect to see a lot more of their old programming on it- they resurrected Spike TV for 2 channels

18. rmath84

rmath84 Forum Resident

It's available on Roku too. I just wish I could get it to ignore all the channels I have no interest in.

19. empire145

empire145 Forum Resident

I’ve been streaming Bewitched on Pluto through AppleTV, and even though it’s been cropped to fix 16x9, it was done somewhat thoughtfully- no awkward headspaces or essential parts of the image cut off. Makes me wonder if this is how they’ll be syndicated in the near future.

But, while I can still stream the next episode thru “What’s Next” on the AppleTV page, I can’t find it listed in Pluto’s “Free Movies+TV” on demand section, not thru the app or the website, and there’s no search option. It’s frustrating because that’s where I found it in the first place- it’s disappeared. Can’t for the life of me find a place to actually email Pluto Support. There’s a “contact support” link in their emails but all that leads to is a FAQ page which doesn’t answer anything. Argh.

In the grand scheme of things it’s not a problem but I’d rather have skipped over the Loch Ness Monster episode. Yes, I could pull out my DVD’s but they’re packed for an upcoming move and streaming these is so much easier at the moment.

Tim S and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  20. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

What new channels did Pluto TV add?

21. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

This is a very good synopsis of what I do not like about the service.

22. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

I haven't tried this yet with pluto, but in general if it's almost impossible to search or find something on a site, I just use google and tell it exactly what I want. Most of the time this will get you what you want with 3 or 4 clicks.

23. empire145

empire145 Forum Resident

Tried that and didn’t have any luck.

24. empire145

empire145 Forum Resident

A search option would make Pluto so much more user friendly. Personally I don’t care to watch 99% of what they offer but there are a few things that interest me. In that regard it’s no different than Hulu or Netflix, except it’s free.

Tim S and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  25. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

I have basic limited Spectrum cable $50/month and wondering what interface navigation you are going through to use your remote. Directly through the SmartTV interface? or the cable box menu system?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.