POB book, my views/opinion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DK Pete, Nov 26, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident Thread Starter

I honestly didn't know what to expext when I ordered this...was it going to be "just" a rundown of the album sessions with John and Yoko's thoughts on the whole period, or what...
    ...regardless, I knew I was going to order it because I'm a huge fan of the album well as this whole time period in Beatles history. For anyone who feels the same, I highly recommend this book. It actually does not go into the album itself till a good while in. I gave it a pretty thorough "going over" when I first got it yesterday, started actually reading it last night and have been reading it this morning for about the last two hours. Yes, I am *that* much a fan of this time period in so-called, "Beatle history"
    ...I won't give a play by play but I'll simply say that the book gives, in very engaging detail, all the things, times, places and events which led up to POB...basically starting with John and Yoko's Bed-In and the recording of Give Peace a Chance. There's a nicely detailed explanation in all this about what the 'Plastic Ono Band" was all about both in a physical and conceptual sense. From there it moves on to The Toronto concert and so on.
    ...again...very specific reading (with great pictures, by the way) about a very specific time in the life of (all-but-officially) ex-Beatle John Lennon. So if you're into that as I am, you need to own this book.

2. Robamorican

Robamorican Forum Resident

Haha. You got me excited. I thought there was a new book about Pacific Ocean Blue.

Smith, MoonPool, Ryan Lux and 7 others like this.
  3. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Next month will mark 50 years since I first heard this incredible album.
    Sounds amazing still.
    I'm reminded of the story Lenny Kravitz tells of someone telling him one of his songs had a ' JohnLennon/PlasticOno Band 'vibe to it. He had never heard the album and bought a copy. It blew him away.

DK Pete likes this.
  4. Raf

Raf Senior Member

5. BeSteVenn

BeSteVenn FOMO Resident

I read your post and promptly ordered the book. I had wanted to get it, but dithered until I read your posts here and elsewhere about it.

I hope Yoko and Sean have more books planned for each of John's albums.

DK Pete likes this.
  6. DK Pete

On
    On top of the very interesting text, the photo layouts are beautifully done.

BeSteVenn likes this.
  7. Ephi82

Ephi82 Still have two ears working

What book? Title, author ?

Celebrated Summer likes this.
  8. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best

Thanks for this topic.
    I just received the book two days ago and it is indeed marvelous !

I knew what to expect because I had bought the Imagine book last year (the complete "collector" version with 150 more pages or something) and it was absolutely fantastic !
    It makes you re-live the events surrounding the album, with no stones unturned and immerse you in the context (pictures and memorabilia) available, and this new POB delivers the same feeling !

These two books are based upon recollections of "the people that were there" (all the musicians/engineers etc... including Ringo Starr, Klaus Voormann and even... Arthur Janov ! ). And showing the actual genuine documentation. It can't be bettered.

I really hope we will get a book as awesome as these for each album.
    (Can't wait to read a massive book related to Some Times in NYC next year !)
    :)

Last edited: Nov 27, 2020
    DK Pete and BeSteVenn like this.
  9. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best

DK Pete and BeSteVenn like this.
  10. DK Pete

....excellent descriptions. That's actually my favorite thing about books that "look back"; their effectiveness in sucking you back into the atmosphere surrounding the events. The bed in, Toronto, the creation of the Instant Karma single, etc...all very well done...and again, great photo layouts.

11. Ryan Lux

Ryan Lux Senior Member

There was one from a few years ago.

Robamorican likes this.
  12. Robamorican

Robamorican Forum Resident

Ken Sharp's book? Its excellent.

RobGeurtsen likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.