Polk LSiM speakers 58% - 67% off..

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by riverrat, Jan 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

Known issue, call Polk for a warranty replacement.

displayname likes this.
  2. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I think that sometimes and as specially with many modern speakers, we are used to a more crisp and tipped up higher end. In comparison, the sound from the LSiM's may seem a bit veiled and more reserved.

I don't think that I am one of those listener's that experiences speaker's breaking in. I just don't pay that much attention to it.

I think that it might be a matter of getting used to listening to a different kind of normal. I'm sure that they do break in and become more relaxed over time, but that is a more gradual process.

From the different that I have put through my 707's, they seem extra natural sounding, but still detailed and yet completely non-fatiguing.

I'm happy that you like the their looks. They are such a solidly built speaker. I don't even think they look anything like I might expect a Polk speaker to look.

Archguy, aroney and imsjry like this.
  3. imsjry

imsjry Forum Resident

Seriously? Oh man that is disappointing. What is the specific issue? Odd that it’s not happening on all songs.

4. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

I'd have to say poor quality control.

5. Litejazz53

Litejazz53 Perfect Sound Through Crystal Clear Digital

This is all very scary to someone faced with unpacking not one pair but two pair tomorrow or Saturday, 707s and 703s. F1nut, when you say poor quality control, what do you mean. Is this tweeter issue a bad tweeter, a bad part in the crossover network, a poorly designed tweeter, since you are familiar with this particular problem, what exactly is it caused by? I am assuming everyone posting on here is purchasing their LSiM speakers from Adorama in New York City. You know, one thing I find a bit concerning, these speakers have received good reviews by many people, and there are, I think, about 80,000 forum members, yet apparently only a hand full of people took advantage of a 67% off sale, does that seem a bit odd to anyone else??:shrug:

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
  6. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

The tweeter issue is rather recent. I don't know exactly what the issue is or why. A flawed batch it would seem because it's not every tweeter. As noted it only becomes apparent at certain frequencies, which may be why it wasn't caught before leaving the factory, although it should have been.

Of the 80,000 how many bought an Oppo before they stopped production, 10....20? I wouldn't worry about that aspect if I were you.

displayname likes this.
  7. Litejazz53

Litejazz53 Perfect Sound Through Crystal Clear Digital

I think the key here is, Oppo was not doing any 57-67% off their normal price, I was just amazed at how few responses they got with such a low price. It does appear Adorama has the product and is cranking them out the door. If mine arrive tomorrow, that will be a two day turn around from New York to Nashville, TN, and that is pretty darn fast.

8. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

Neither Oppo was anywhere near as expensive.

Not to worry, Polk is selling a ton of them, just not here apparently.

displayname likes this.
  9. telemike

telemike Forum Resident

These still on sale?

10. displayname

displayname Forum Resident

Forums aren't representative of the general public. They are mostly representative of the 5% that take the hobby most seriously.
    But when you're looking at the towers or the bookies, even with the discount it's more than a lot of people are willing to spend. The fact that they are impossible for most people to see in person or demo before they buy is also a huge limiting factor. I was lucky enough to find a dealer in town that just happened to have a set in on trade that he was willing to demo. But even at the discount I wasn't ready to pull the trigger without hearing them first. That's very different from most speakers at the discount or the full price of this series.

Rekkerds and aroney like this.
  11. displayname

displayname Forum Resident

I think you need a link with the email tracking, but yes. I got an email yesterday and the links still went to the lower prices.

12. imsjry

imsjry Forum Resident

Where were these issues reported about that you became aware of it? I do see one or two responding to me on the Polk forum but you seem more knowledgeable about the problem being a known issue which to me means more then a few and it’s public info somewhere. I just want to research to be sure they don’t send me yet another faulty speaker.

13. 62caddy

62caddy Forum Resident

When I went to repackage the speakers, a cone-shaped spacer was falling out between the bottom of one of the 705s and the base plate. Found the screw that was supposed to hold it in place but I discovered the threads in the bottom of the speaker were missing making reinstallation of the spacer impossible.

On a pair of RTiA7 that a friend just received, the clear coat finish was coarse as it was on the 705s. Not smooth as on my own A7s and A9s that I got 8 years ago, however the finish on his new center channel CSiA4 was excellent. One of the rubber pads came off of one of the A7's feet well.

He just ordered a pair of RTiA3 for the rear channels. Hopefully there won't be any further QC issues.

14. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

Not really, as these speakers have gone on sale for 50% off or more numerous times over the past several years...

George P and F1nut like this.
  15. aroney

Yes, I received my 707's in less than 24 hours from placing my order. :D

16. aroney

If the rest of the speaker is fine, I'd just get a replacement tweeter - it's not that hard to replace. You just remove the rubber piece surrounding it, remove a few screws and replace. Probably take 15 minutes to do.

F1nut and imsjry like this.
  17. aroney

When you swap speakers does it still happen? If so, it's a source issue. Keep runnin' 'em too, maybe a bit of break-in might help (or not).

Again, if it is the tweeter, swapping them out yourself isn't difficult to do.

18. telemike

telemike Forum Resident

Those LSiM 703's seem like a steal at $600

19. imsjry

imsjry Forum Resident

No, I put back my RTi12's that I've had for years and the distortion does not happen. I'll try to recreate the issue more this weekend and call Polk if need be.

aroney likes this.
  20. noway

noway Forum Resident

It might help others if you posted here the specific songs and the time within the tracks.

21. Socalguy

Socalguy Forum Resident

That’s unfortunate. Swap your L and R connections and make sure it’s the speaker and not the signal.

22. imsjry

imsjry Forum Resident

Welp, the one i got it for sure on was "Ray of Light"-Madonna in the intro only (don't judge me). I also heard it with some Kenny Burell-Midnight Blue tracks. Need more time listening and testing.

23. imsjry

imsjry Forum Resident

Did that. Distortion stayed on the left speaker.

24. tlainhart

tlainhart Forum Resident

Thanks. I'm correct in that Matt Polk designed the LSi series? I'm starting to put more power through to my LSi15s, and am enjoying the increased clarity and grip. Do you have a sense for how, if any, the LSiMs improve upon the LSi series? It seems evolutionary...

25. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member Thread Starter

Click through the link on the first post, and see. I just did for one item, and it looks like the prices are still good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.