Poll: 1975: "Wind On The Water"-"Zuma"-"Stills". Choose Your Favourite.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dandelion1967, Mar 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Just to gauge interest, I'm considering doing a Crosby/Nash album by album thread, to at least cover the 70's stuff. Would anyone be into that?

elgoodo, chrisblower and carlwm like this.
  2. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

It all depends, all three albums are very different music. Zuma is probably a bit overrated and the other two a bit underrated on the critical radar.
    On Zuma I would only classify Don't Cry No Tears, Dangerbird, Barstool Blues and Cortez as great songs.
    Pardon My Heart and Through My Sails very good. Looking For A Love good.
    Drive Back and Stupid Girl average but good rockin fun.
    Compare that with albums like Tonight's The Night and On The Beach where every song is a home run. IMO.

Bananas&blow and Chrome_Head like this.
  3. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

I'd be up for participating.

Everything they did, together or apart, is worth a discussion, I reckon.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  4. rjp

rjp Senior Member

take 'cortez' off of 'zuma"...would you still vote for it?

have you even heard 'love story' or 'myth of sisyfus' or 'cold cold world'.....how about 'wind on the water' or carry me' or 'love work out' or homeward through the haze'?

'stills and 'wind on the water' are BOTH masterpieces, bonafide masterpieces....'zuma' is not, not even close to 'goldrush' or 'harvest' or 'on the beach'.

so many excellent and extremely knowledgeable music aficionados on this forum, i am amazed at the results of this poll, amazed.

5. rjp

rjp Senior Member

there are a whole hell of a lot of neil young fans on this forum............:shrug:

Spadeygrove and DTK like this.
  6. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Vinyl Socks, Dandelion1967 and carlwm like this.
  7. chrisblower

chrisblower Norfolk n'good

I'm not particularly anymore, nor his Electric guitar playing. The album's are all excellent, I prefer whistling to wind, but zuma just says something to me the other two don't. I did see him in 76 With Crazy Horse. Maybe that's it. Stills is choc full of great songs, but Turn back is a poor opener. Maybe if Stills could just have lifted the lid a little on himself, got a big adventurous with his album title or just scrawled on the cover. Anything but the football shirt cover.

Know anything about an album of early seventies outtakes which never made the light of day, called Stolen Stills ?

DTK likes this.
  8. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

I feel much the same.

DTK likes this.
  9. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

Cortez is better than either of the other albums.

FWIW I like the Stills album a lot and I think it's underrated and overlooked these days.

DTK likes this.
  10. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Wind on the Water

.....Crosby's peak as an artist.

DTK and carlwm like this.
  11. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

1. Zuma
    2. Wind On The Water
    3. Stills

12. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Yeah I think it's basically that solo Neil has the most fans and he's always been higher on the critical radar (very undeservedly so during the last 20 years when his output has become plain embarrassing).

carlwm likes this.
  13. Bananas&blow

Bananas&blow It's just that demon life has got me in its sway

I like them all. I chose Wind on the Water, which I don't even like as much as the first Graham-Nash album. Zuma is a fine album but I find it to be a little uneven and just having Cortez the Killer on it does not make it the better album. I like Zuma, but I like every album he made in the 70's up to it better (which is tough company after an incredible run of albums). I don't agree with the notion that Neil Youngs catalogue towers over the other 3 contributors of the short lived CSNY quartet. There are enough high quality albums from the other members that if you think that, you probably haven't heard some really good music. I like every album put out by the members from the couch album to 1975.

DTK likes this.
  14. Chuckorama

Chuckorama Forum Resident

Zuma by a mile.

Wind on the Water is C&N at the best of their capabilities but comes nowhere close to Zuma

The 1975 Stills album is crummy and presaged a precipitous artistic decline.

15. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Computer says no.

Bananas&blow and carlwm like this.
  16. rjp

rjp Senior Member

no sir, first i ever heard of it.

17. Glass Candy

Glass Candy Forum Resident

In the real world, that is exactly the level of comparative appreciation given to those acts, for good reason.

Biscuit1970 likes this.
  18. Glass Candy

I am amazed that anyone who can tie their shoes would consider Stills a masterpiece. Wake up, you're in a completely self-contained bubble. Neil is the man. Nearly everyone knows that and could care less about those other albums that did nothing but fill cutout bins.

Spadeygrove and Biscuit1970 like this.
  19. Glass Candy

Yes, and in this actual galaxy.

20. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Neil's a talented fellow, for sure, but I regard him as fourth best when it comes to CSNY.

21. Woodville

Woodville Forum Resident

Voted for Zuma because it’s in my top 5 Neil albums, but agree with many that Wind on The Water is a wonderful record. And while I can find a few things to like on Stills, it’s not in the same league as the other two.

Dandelion1967 likes this.
  22. Dandelion1967

Dandelion1967 My Favourite Parks Are Car Parks Thread Starter

It's ironic that back in 1975, things were a little bit different than now. "Wind on The Water" peaked at #6 on the Billboard 200 and was certifield gold within a few weeks while Neil Young's album only peaked at #25 and it wasn't Gold until 1997.

Bananas&blow likes this.
  23. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

Zuma is the only one of the three I would ever listen to. Stills has some great stuff on other records though.

24. Chuckorama

Chuckorama Forum Resident

Yes, we've heard them all, which is why we voted as we did.

unclefred and Biscuit1970 like this.
  25. bigmikerocks

bigmikerocks Forum Resident

Zuma but the other 2 are fine album!

carlwm and Bananas&blow like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.