Poll: Abbey Road Remix Opinion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by gottafeelin, Sep 27, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CDJones

CDJones Explorer of the fine aural experience.

Listened to the Blu-Ray stereo last night. IMO, the remix is just good. I LOVED ‘Here Comes The Sun’. As a visual person, I felt that on the whole, the new mix has a greater nuance of color, only the colors are muted... desaturated. Especially on ‘side 2’, where the medley flowed more smoothly, rather than each segment announcing it’s arrival as they do in the original mix. It’s nice to have a slightly different perspective on this great album, highlighting different details, but I’m likely to return to the original when I wish to hear the music.

2. rushed again

rushed again Forum Resident

I would have preferred a no holds barred re-release of the original mix, but it's a nice job on this. I'll probably vote Great. The clarity and distinction (I bought single vinyl) is way better than my other copy of Abbey Road.

ralph7109 and jamiehowarth like this.
  3. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

Early next week I'll do a shootout between the remix (3 LP) and (YEX 750-1/749-2). In the remix some tracks sound great, but some of the elements in the 'Medley' felt strange and disjointed. And there seemed a bit of a 'wobble' going on in the 'tuning' of the orchestra that I hadn't noticed before...so it's back and forth to the 'original' on that one....
    I'll keep you posted!

Kundera the joke. likes this.
  4. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

I think that Giles made Abbey Road sound more like the original White Album and vice versa.
    In other words his White Album is wetter and his Abbey Road is drier.

Lemon Curry and J Alesait like this.
  5. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

Just OK.....
    The original mix is still my go to version regardless of pressing.

jamiehowarth likes this.
  6. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway YES, I'M A NERD

I voted 'good', after three headphone listens.

I like all of Side 2. I don't prefer it over the original but I like it.

But the Side 1 remix didn't really float my boat, mainly due to the closing minutes of I Want You: I miss the trebly, ringing circular guitar being way up there in the mix with the growling low-end. And while on the original mix, the entering "whooshes" sound like the end (or the beginning) of the world and ratchet up the ecstatic maelstrom, on the remix the whooshes just sound like a tape fault or something.

I also miss the louder left-channel guitar during Something, the 2019 is a more " lush" version. Like the rest of Side 1 apart from I Want You, I still think it's a good mix though.

7. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident

Everything is louder for better or worse

DK Pete and Mooserfan like this.
  8. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Yeah, you don't hear the guitars being repeatedly layered on top of each other. And, the wind machine sounds light.

BlueSpeedway likes this.
  9. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Bet Dave Dexter would have liked to do his thing to these albums...:shh:

10. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

After getting a flu-shot at CVS in Target, I wandered back to the very small record section. There were about 8-10 copies of ABBEY ROAD 50th (2-disc) there, and since I had a $5 store coupon from the flu shot, I picked it up. I wasn't going to spring for this one, but what the heck. It's the Beatles. I didn't need it, but I didn't want to waste the $5 coupon either.

I've only given it a cursory listen, but I'll say that having George in the center on "Here Comes The Sun" is worth it.

11. bvb1123

bvb1123 Rock and Roll Martian

I put good because I like it but, even listening back to back with the 2009 Remaster I don't notice too many differences. But I'm not audiophile, just a simple music lover. Maybe other people notice more things than I do. I do like it though. And I really liked the Sessions disc.

12. Grant

I have to admit: i've gone back to the original mix of Abbey Road. I've grown tired of the somewhat muted drums and the vocals being too loud.

rock76 and ralph7109 like this.
  13. CraigBic

CraigBic Forum Resident

I had to do a quick scan to make sure I hadn't already posted an opinion on this one but yeah, I think it sounds excellent in fact I think I'll put the LP on again shortly for another listen. I really enjoy how crisp and clear it sounds, it's stereo imaging which isn't too foreign from the original mix (at least not to me) and just the quality of the mix. Much like I probably said before the announcement when we were all speculating about the release I may not think Abbey Road needed a remix but I'm still glad they did it.

14. gottafeelin

gottafeelin Forum Resident Thread Starter

So far, the positive opinions far outweigh the negative 79.4% to 7.9% with the rest squarely in the middle.

If you were just guessing at the forum opinion based on the discussion alone in the sound quality thread, you'd think it would be more like 50/50. It just goes to show that people are more likely to share their opinion if their opinion is negative.

15. Detroit Rock Citizen

Detroit Rock Citizen RetroDawg Digital

Haters are gonna hate.

16. Some tracks sound better than others and in the remix we end up hearing some elements previously buried. So it's cool for me.

17. Grant

Or, could it be that people are more likely to share their opinion if they see others that also agree with them?

18. writteninwater

writteninwater Forum Resident

It did not do much for me, but I don't redecorate my living room that often either. I mostly got it for the outtakes.

19. thepigdog

thepigdog Music and beer

Sometimes you should leave fairly good alone.

rock76 likes this.
  20. CraigBic

CraigBic Forum Resident

This isn't one of those times. If you don't want it you are perfectly welcome to skip it. All of us that like the remix (I assume) really liked the original mix as well. This isn't about replacing anything.

21. webmatador

webmatador Friend Of The People

I was a little underwhelmed at first, but I listened to the remix on vinyl again today and it was so much fun hearing some things in better clarity than ever before. It was the same feeling as when I used to buy those glorious CD bootlegs in the late '80s/early '90s.

It'll never replace the original, but it's a really fun comparison.

22. davidlg1971

davidlg1971 Forum Resident

Only a couple cursory listens to the CD version so far. It sounds nice. Lotta bass, though.

The thing I loved about 'Love' is how present the drums were. The Love Get Back has drums up front, sounding clear, with a bass drum that's propelling the track. So that I thought would be the biggest gain in revisiting the miltitracks - injecting energy by balancing the drums. So far? Not so much.

I think Giles' remixes - generally - are a little too faithful to the original mixes' drum levels.

ralph7109 likes this.
  23. awsop

awsop Forum Resident

When the dust settles, I can appraise this version more in perspective. So far, listening since yesterday to the 2CD, it sounds amazing.
    Especially on headphones and also on speakers. There’s more detail to be heard and sound image is better.

This remix sounds carries disputable songs like ‘Maxwell’s Silver Hammer and Octopus’s Garden to a much higher level. I feel like side 1 has become an even match to side 2.
    Here Comes The Sun has got more rhythm and drive than before.

24. Remy

Remy Forum Resident

I would have picked FUN had it been an option.

SunSon likes this.
  25. Trixmay 988

Trixmay 988 Demere's Dreams

Sgt. Pepper's and the White Album are different enough and good enough each to warrant different listens for me, but Abbey Road's mixes I feel as though only one's worth hearing as they're not crazy different enough to be worth hearing individually, so right now I'm making a playlist of my favourite mixes of each song. I used to think the 2019 remix was the easy winner but as I've gotten better audio equipment, the original mixes have started sounding much better than I ever thought they did.

2009 refers to the original stereo mix with the 2009 remaster as that's all I have. 2015 refers to the remix found on '1'. 2019 obviously refers to the latest remix.

Come Together - 2019: The dirty feel of the song is maintained even despite John's clearer vocals. Better drums and vocals are why I pick the remix.

Something - 2015: The vocals on the 2019 sound way too processed and digital, which is something I rarely, if ever, notice. They sound very up-front here but natural.

Maxwell's Silver Hammer - 2019: They're both great for different reasons. The original mix is more understated and separated, while the remix is cleaner and more lively. For this song, the latter works for me.

Oh! Darling - 2009: For the simple fact that the vocals sound more organic, the original mix rules.

Octopus's Garden - 2019: Much better sounding drums and harmonies make this the winner. The original sounds dull in comparison, but still fine by any other measure.

I Want You (She's So Heavy) - 2009: The original mix sounds more raw, live and bluesy. It suits the song much more, but it's hard to go wrong with any of these mixes outside of the 2019 remix of Something, imo.

Here Comes the Sun - 2019: The bass is too boomy on the 2019 and the vocals are too sibilant but overall the vocals do sound much better, especially the harmonies. The guitar and synth have a much wider sound on the 2019 whereas they're very thin in the original which makes for a less than stellar intro. I do like the way the vocals are panned a bit to the right on the original mix and I which that effect stayed for the beginning of the 2019 mix as synth fades across before becoming centred, but oh well.

Because - 2019: The harpsichord again doesn't sound thin like the original mix and the harmonies are better separated, even if the originals sound slightly more 'ethereal' for lack of a better word. This is a pretty easy pick. For such a long intro, it's a shame the harpsichord is so thin sounding on the original.

You Never Give Me Your Money - 2009: The double tracked vocals on "funny paper" sound beautiful on the 2019 but they sound lonelier on the original which I actually think serves the song better. The vocals generally are less up-front here which again I think suits the song better. The bass is much better on the 2009 and the clarity is gorgeous. The guitar is much better on the original. I like the cymbals on the original better as they're more atmospheric by being a bit more recessed. The bit where his vocals have that kind of fade effect before things get rocking sounds way cooler on the original. Here's where things get interesting, though. The drums sound much better on the 2019 and the panning of the vocals is an interesting choice but I think I like it and it's missing entirely on the 2019. The drums on the guitar break do sound much better on the 2019 and the guitars and vocals sound much fuller here too making it sound rockier. I like the low-fi sound of the "one-two-three-four-five-six-seven" on the original too. There are qualities to both but I think the original mix is my favourite here.

Sun King - 2009: The vocals sound cooler here, but I prefer the pre-vocal section of Sun King on the original. It's a little more soothing with the swirling instruments. For some reason I prefer the 'Spanish' bit on the original mix. As if the separated harmony sound outstays its welcome. I think I prefer the original but it's a toss-up.

Mean Mr. Mustard - 2019: The 2019 mix sounds much fuller in every way and so it rocks harder. I like the tone of John's vocals on the original, though.

Polythene Pam - 2019: Mono vocals smell (the harmonies). The intro acoustic isn't quite as harsh on the ears if you're playing this album loud on the 2019. Again sounds much fuller on the 2019.

She Came In Through the Bathroom Window - 2009: The drums and bass sound better on the 2019 but it just sounds too clean. I also prefer the harmonies on the original. Always having the harmonies sound so spacious on the 2019 may sound good technically, but not always musically, as it doesn't always fit the song. Luckily the transition between Polythene Pam and this isn't ruined by having two mixes. It still sounds naturally fluid.

Golden Slumbers - 2019: Initially they sound very similar (although now my ears are clogged thanks to hay-fever, so that doesn't exactly help), but once it gets into "GOLDEN SLUUUUMBERS" the differences become much more evident. The drum fill that helps kick things off sounds much better on the remix, and the orchestra is given more space to breathe.

Carry That Weight - 2019: The whole "carry that weight" section doesn't sound as powerful as it should on either, and the extra clarity reveals how barren it is in arrangement on the remix. The rest is better, though, with better Paul vocals and orchestra.

The End - 2019: The guitars, vocals and drums sound much heavier at the start of the remix, although I like the way Ringo's drums are in multiple places in the stereo soundscape on the original mix. It is still on the remix but is less obvious. The guitar solos sound much chunkier and rockier thanks to being close to the centre in the original mix but the way they're in different places on the 2019 to represent each member playing them is awesome. The vocals at the end sound way cooler on the 2019 mix and so does the orchestra... hmm. There are really strong aspects of both mixes, but I have to go with the 2019.

Her Majesty - 2009: Not a huge difference, but the sweeping across the stereo spectrum seems smoother than on the remix. The 2009 for me.

Remix: 10
    Original: 6
    1: 1

It's not a perfect remix, far from... but it is an improvement in many areas, no doubt.
    I tested at a loud volume with Fostex TH610 headphones using a Fiio DAC (can't remember which... MKII maybe... It's probably on my profile), in case you're wondering.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.