Poll: Abbey Road Remix Opinion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by gottafeelin, Sep 27, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

I didn't think he was dismissive at all

Man at C&A likes this.
  2. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

It was an interesting choice but I think it lessens the impact a bit. I don't know, maybe I just need to listen a few more times. Weren't the three guitars recorded on a single track? I noticed there was one spot in the jam where the very tail end of one of Paul's bits is heard at the start of George's bit in the other channel.

3. rednoise

rednoise Senior Member

Not to me. Rubber Soul and Revolver have very different recorded sounds and attitudes. RS has little of the psychedelic vibe of Revolver. I hear RS as more closely connected to "Help", and Revolver as part of the string of albums that includes Pepper, Magical Mystery Tour, and Yellow Submarine - tougher guitar and drums sounds, more studio effects, the subject of the songs is much farther away from their moptop days. It's all a natural progression as seen in hindsight, but I hear a distinct dividing line between the two.

4. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

Please stop using big words on the forum, it makes my head hurt! :D
    Beave

MitchLT likes this.
  5. It’s good MW- pick it up!

6. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

It'll be back home already, but I'm a few hundred miles away at the moment :)

Haggis Wampovich likes this.
  7. Tingman

Tingman Forum Resident

I can only comment on the blu ray, as that is all I’ve had time to listen to. The DTS-HD sounded better than the Atmos mix imho, but they are both good.

Honestly, the 5.1 DTS sounded so good to me I was almost in tears at the conclusion of The End. Revelatory.

videoman and audiomixer like this.
  8. videoman

videoman Senior Member

George was no slouch of a bass player either!

MitchLT, Headfone and Grant like this.
  9. Lance Hall

Lance Hall Senior Member

After extended listening I'm modifying my initial thoughts:
    Album mixes: B
    Outtakes mixes: A

10. videoman

videoman Senior Member

Better than I thought it would be. Of all the Beatles’ remixes, I thought this to be to most unnecessary. But it’s a fun alternative.

And the 5.1 is revelatory. I’m hearing even better things about the Atmos mix. Might be time to consider a system upgrade!

audiomixer likes this.
  11. Headfone

Headfone Nothing Tops A Martin

I couldn't ask for a better sounding production. It retains the integrity of the original and brings to the fore just enough interesting nuance. If my ears had thumbs, it would be two of those puppies straight up.

12. Andersoncouncil

Andersoncouncil Forum Resident

I heard it (a friend bought it) and I thought it was ok. Abbey Road is my all-time favorite album, but in all honesty, I'm content with the great sounding 1987 CD and Anthology 3/Disc 2 for the outtakes.

13. videoman

videoman Senior Member

With all due respect to the memory of George Harrison, I would find that such a comment made so many years ago to be a very unlikely reason for a “delay”. Are they waiting for him to issue a new statement?

My guess is they didn’t really start thinking about these big anniversary packages until the 50th of “Pepper’s” came around. Now that they’ve apparently been successful enough, will they go back and revisit the earlier albums? I certainly hope so.

Their entire catalog is some of the most iconic albums ever recorded. They are each worthy of a large set with a dedicated book, as many outtakes as they feel are worth letting us hear, and remixes/surround mixes when appropriate.

Cash grab? Of course it is. But it also is a fine way of paying great respect to some amazing albums.

J Alesait likes this.
  14. videoman

videoman Senior Member

I do as well. To me, “Rubber Soul” is the end of the early sixties period and “Revolver” the beginning of the late sixties, more experimental period. It’s also the beginning of moving away from Lennon so dominating the bulk of the songwriting and McCartney really moving forward. And, to a lesser degree, Harrison as well.

But Harrison would obviously have had a different perspective on the albums for very different reasons than any of us.

15. Ivan Aaron

Ivan Aaron What Sells ≠ What Streams

I found this online (so it must be true):

As adjectives the difference between great and excellent
    is that great is very big, large scale while excellent is of the highest quality; splendid.

gottafeelin likes this.
  16. Crosseyed

Crosseyed help I'm a rock

I haven't listened to this album in probably over two years (aside from the preview of Something). I have been listening to this album for over 40 years and it's my favorite album by the Beatles. It's in my DNA.

At first listen today I immediately noticed that the vocals - and even more so - the guitars were lower in the mix. Someone here at SHF pointed out the fact that Giles seemed to be boosting the bass and drums in the new re-mixes and that is what is apparent to me on my first listen today.

So for me this re-mix is "ok" - nonetheless I still enjoyed listening to it and I'm glad I bought the box set. I love when albums are remixed - yes I know sacrilege.

MielR and videoman like this.
  17. J Alesait

J Alesait Forum Resident

That's alright. But my guess is these remixes are not made with us in mind.

Bingo Bongo likes this.
  18. Cachiva

Cachiva Forum Resident

19. Cachiva

Cachiva Forum Resident

20. J Alesait

J Alesait Forum Resident

It's there, it wasn't removed.

21. Rhinojack

Rhinojack Forum Resident

Abbey Road 50th vinyl Picture Disc-review:
    After washing the disc and cleaning my stylus, I listened to it with Master & Dynamic headphones and found that it had an audible soft hiss throughout. The audio was improved but nothing remarkable. I did hear some things I hadn’t noticed before, listening through room speakers. Afterwards I listened to my regular Apple black vinyl 2nd side and it was dead quiet but the audio was a little brassy with some high end distortion. So for audio sake, I’d steer clear of this version, I don’t know if it is the picture vinyl or the new mix, I am curious about the new black vinyl edition though. As a visual and a collectable, it is nice though I was disappointed with the cheapy sleeve. Thin and mine was torn at the top.

22. Gramps Tom

Gramps Tom Forum Resident

I voted EXCELLENT. I'm spinning Carry That Weight as I start this post. This is the fourth time through the original album (cd) today, along with one trip through the second disc of alt takes & demos.

My system is pretty ordinary. My prior three spins were at lower volume than usual, my fourth, and now fifth spins are at my usual volume level, so easier to discern similarities and differences. Come Together is on now.

I LOVE the new mix! To my ears & heart, its main beauty shines through:

1-The absence of background noise, which I never noticed on prior versions, showcases all the music a bit more.
    2-The vocal mixes sound slightly more....youthful, for lack of a better term. They appear slightly higher in pitch & more revealing.
    3-The subtelty with which the new mix was approached delivers a blessing of its own.
    4-The organ and "swishing sound" on I Want You, organ on Sun King, and guitars on You Never Give... especially leap from my speakers.

xilef regnu likes this.
  23. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

I have dubbed the vinyl Pepper remix to cd and played it a bunch. I definitely thought the vinyl was worth it.

Man at C&A likes this.
  24. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

You could try ebay a year from now. I picked up the White Album Superdeluxe for $118 from there about 3 days ago.

25. HiResGeek

HiResGeek Seer of visions

Listened to the 5.1 mix tonight. I like it, but not as much as the hi-res stereo remix. Seemed like the first half second piano intro of Oh! Darling is missing or severely abbreviated. Paul’s backing vocal on Mean Mr. Mustard was a little buried. And the electric guitars on Polythene Pam sound oddly distant.

On the other hand I liked most of the choices in the medley, some of the vocal harmonies on the back half - Sun King, YNGMYM and Because, especially - sound fantastic. I was also fine with the way The End was mixed, which seems to be a sticking point for some. I didn’t find the center channel vocals overemphasized as some complained about.

So IMO the stereo remix is great, while the surround mix is just good. Perhaps I've been spoiled by Steven Wilson's surround work with the back catalogs of various prog outfits. At any rate I’ll be listening to the stereo remix a lot in the coming weeks, not sure if the same can be said of the surround mix just yet...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.