Poll: Best Opeth album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dr. Metal MD, Oct 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr. Metal MD

Dr. Metal MD Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm getting really excited for the Damnation/Deliverance remasters coming out. The packaging looks fantastic. The sound quality on those albums are already great. I hope they can still find ways to improve them.

2. stefanmathiasson

stefanmathiasson Forum Resident

Currently listening on the same issue. Finally got around and replaced the old drive belt and adjusted the tracking force on my TD-166 MK II. Sounds really excellent. Really need to get Pale Communion on vinyl next.

Me too! Can't wait for next week!

3. Dr. Metal MD

Make sure you get the EU pressing of Pale Communion. Won't be hard being in Sweden, but double check before you buy it to make sure. The EU pressing has significantly less defects than the US version.

4. Dr. Metal MD

5. Marko K

Marko K Forum Resident

It usually means that Akerfeldt takes the time off to write a new record, could take a year. We will probably see a new album in 2017. I dont mind, because I havent even fully absorbed Pale Communion yet.

6. Dr. Metal MD

Same here. They've already said they're hoping to get a new record out in 2017.

7. Nickslikk2112

Nickslikk2112 Heavy Metal Psyclist

Still Life.

Why? Because it is! Although Opeth are yet to release a bad album.

Although after listening to the Damnation 5.1 things could change...

8. Dr. Metal MD

Still waiting to get my vinyl package in the mail. I am really tempted to order the CD/DVD package as well...but it would just collect dust on my shelf, so I didn't.

9. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

Deuce66 likes this.
  10. Nickslikk2112

Nickslikk2112 Heavy Metal Psyclist

Dr. Metal MD likes this.
  11. Dr. Metal MD

OMG! YES!!!! I've been waiting for this to get reissues. I am not about to pay >$100 for this release on vinyl. Already pre-ordered! Thanks for posting!

12. Dr. Metal MD

13. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

Haha I ordered a copy of still life from them a couple years ago and asked of they'd reissue roundhouse. They said they had no plans to !

I will be grabbing one up. One of my fav live albums the tone they have on it is just mesmerizing and it's nice to see Peter and Axe on stage together, a sort of transitional period.

I've watched the DVD a hundred times.

14. Dr. Metal MD

Yeah, I love the DVD. It sounds fantastic. I hope this pressing sounds better than the vinyl Royal Albert Hall. I do not think that pressing sounds that great.

15. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

I've wanted to grab that too since it was $50 on the labels website but I figured exchanging it or whatever would be a horrendous experience and it was much more expensive everywhere else.

Love the dvds though

16. Dr. Metal MD

It is an AWESOME package. I haven't listened to it since I've upgraded my system, so maybe it sounds better now. If you have the space change, I highly recommend getting. I just wasn't thrilled with the sound quality on my old rig. I can listen to it again sometime soon and give you more in-depth thoughts if you want. Even beside the vinyl itself, the packaging, as I said, is fantastic.

Opeth likes this.
  17. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

Hell yeah I'd appreciate that since we have similar table setups.
    Thanks

18. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

Well I went over to roadrunner and of course they are still there for $50 so I got one. I must say the packing and whole presentation is stunning and I am glad to have it. The 4 records are dead flat and quiet, the mastering is a little bright but clarity is superb. I am on side 5 of 8 Forest of October and I love it ! This rendition is so good, watched it tons. Glad I got a set, everyone who likes Vinyl and is an Opeth fan should I reckon.

Dr. Metal MD likes this.
  19. Dr. Metal MD

Good to hear. So you like how it sounds on vinyl?

20. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

I don't think it sounds any different than the cd's or the stereo on the DVD maybe a little better. The mix isn't the clearest on any format honestly but I don't think it takes away from anything. The vinyl seems to take the edge off the highs and more clarity comes through for me. I am pleased with the way it sounds especially after your issues with it. If your getting sibilance with the new remix like you stated in the other thread I can see if that carried over to this set of vinyl how it would make it unpleasant. Maybe a different phono stage might help this out. I am not sure what your using but it can make a huge difference. Also I am listening through epos epic 2 speakers in a sort of near field orientation with a 2m blue and Lounge Audio MK III phono pre amp.

21. Dr. Metal MD

I am seriously considering the Lounge Audio MK III. You think it works well with a 1200? I need the funds first. I am also seriously considering a 2M Blue. I'm currently using a Shure M97xE with a JICO SAS stylus. I'll have to give them another listen soon. I am using an old SAE TWO PA10 preamp.

22. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

Yeah I think it works great. I also have a stock MX97Xe, a 2m red and a AT 440MLA and they all sound great. I am not familiar with that preamp you have. Honestly I would probably hold off on the 2m blue and try a pre amp just to experiment first because that cart/stylus you have is pretty damn good from all the info and experiences out there everyone posts. I might grab JICO eventually myself eventually.

Dr. Metal MD likes this.
  23. Decane

Decane Forum Resident

Hmm.. After listening to Opeth almost exclusively for the past few weeks, I confess that both of these albums are a bit inconsistent. They're still my favorite Opeth albums, but I'm doubtful about their being the best, whatever empirical criteria we might reasonably establish for judging that superlative against. My opinion on Blackwater Park hasn't changed since my previous posting, but I have come to appreciate Still Life as probably Opeth's most artistically accomplished album; compositionally, it's the tightest album they've made: there's no discernible bloat, the pacing is in service of a narrative, and although it isn't as varied in soundscape as Opeth's later works, it's much less homogeneous sounding than its immediate successor, thanks mainly to less repetitive guitar-work and more memorable balladic content. Also, bonus points for that White Cluster guitar solo at ~6:20.
    I'd like to withdraw the above statement. Opeth's songwriting was fully matured very early on - probably by their third album, but certainly by Still Life.

24. Phil4

Phil4 Active Member

Pale Communion #1?!? Are you fans of Opeth or just regressive 70s prog?

25. Tungsten

Tungsten Active Member

I threw in my vote for Still Life because I think it has one of the best sequencing of any album i've ever heard. It is supremely balanced and even thought it's over an hour long, I never lose interest. It is cohesive but never boring. Part of the cohesion is inherent to the narrative, but it's more than that. They didn't get too cute with it. Also, while Mendez really starts playing some really crazy awesome stuff on ghost reveries and subsequent albums, how about the interesting bass playing on orchid and morningrise? I love it! It really gives those long linear songs such character.

JoeF. likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.