Poll: Best Opeth album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dr. Metal MD, Oct 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr. Metal MD

Dr. Metal MD Forum Resident Thread Starter

That's a great point, how cohesive the album is. It flows very, very well. I just wish the sound quality was better, even on the remaster!

2. Tungsten

Tungsten Active Member

Personally I think the sound quality is decent (especially compared to orchid and morningrise and even the "wall of sound" production in My Arms). Obviously it gets better throughout their discography, but my biggest complaint is the lead guitar tones are buzzy and thin. For a 1999 death metal production I think it was pretty ahead of its time. What's your complaint with it?

3. Dr. Metal MD

When one of the channels fades out for a bit during some of the songs and it can sound a bit thin. If all their albums could sound as good as Pale Communion or Ghost Reveries, in terms of sound quality, I'd be in heaven.

bhasenstab likes this.
  4. Mr_Vinyl

Mr_Vinyl Forum Resident

I agree, but I would also add Heritage to your list. Also, the new remasters (2015) of Damnation and Deliverance belong on that list as well. Five down, and six more to go! Come on Mikael, what are you waiting for?

Dr. Metal MD likes this.
  5. Tungsten

Tungsten Active Member

Yeah, I think sometimes I've gotten so used to those channel dropouts that I sometimes overlook that part of the sound quality issue. That's such a great point about what the album would sound like (and for that matters all the other albums) if they have Pale Communion or Ghost Reverie-like sound quality. Maybe they should take a play out of the meshugga playbook and re-record some of those albums!

6. Tungsten

Tungsten Active Member

You're totally right, Heritage is was well recorded, well mixed, and well mastered. I've only heard the new Deliverance and Damnation remixes on digital; i'm debating if it's worth having two copies of each on vinyl. Also, how do you guys feel about the vocal effects on deliverance? At first I kind of thought it was cool, but a little overused. Now after hearing it a few more times I think I prefer less affected vox.

7. Dr. Metal MD

I really like how they sound on vinyl, but my MOV copies sound fantastic anyway. The Deliverance copy, on my setup, can be a bit harsh (sibilance) during some parts whereas the MOV copy is not, again, on MY system. Otherwise, the vinyl reissues are very well-done.

8. Tungsten

Tungsten Active Member

Yeah, I'm pretty happy with my MOV deliverance and damnation and I like the new mixes so i'll probably end up with them eventually. What's the fun in being a collector if not to collect, right?

Dr. Metal MD likes this.
  9. Mike B

Mike B Forum Resident

You're probably opposite most folks here, who are not accustomed to the harsh vocals and heavy sound of early Opeth. That's why Damnation is so popular.

I put Blackwater Park because that's just the album that got me into them. Was in a record store I used to frequent enough to make acquaintances with a couple of the staff. One of them just said "you're love this, get it," and I did, and he was right. It was Opeth's new album Blackwater Park.

I also happen to think it's the pinnacle of Opeth's vision. They had been working towards this sounds and song writing approach up until Still Life, where they mastered it pretty much. BP adds fine production and, IIRC, some sort of "concept" that brings further cohesion.

A close 2nd for me though is Ghost Reveries. It's just the band hitting another and, IMO, their final peak. It's like, them, but the next level. Ghosts of Perdition is Opeth at their ultimate powers, and Harlequin Forest shows a weird side of them that adds a diversity of sound they'd never done since, or after.

10. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

I still can't pick, BP the album that got me into them?

My Arms seemed to be my fav for a long time. The story and how he weaves in and out of the songs, the structure of the whole thing is pure genius. Then there's Ghost Reveries which is also amazing. I also love Heritage ! Deliverance and Damnation also are 2 things I can't live without...

I can't do it, can't pick just one.

Dr. Metal MD likes this.
  11. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

I don't care what anyone says Opeth has one of the best overall discographies in the history of metal eclipsing a LOT of legendary bands imo.

12. Dr. Metal MD

Very well-said. I literally greatly enjoy every single Opeth album. It's very difficult for me to say that about a lot of bands, especially bands that have been around 20 or more years like Opeth.

13. Mr_Vinyl

Mr_Vinyl Forum Resident

Actually, it was a forum member here who showed me a link before I bought the two albums. The mastering on the digital versions are actually very different from the ones used for the vinyl. The vinyl versions were directly cut from a Studer reel-to-reel with no additional compression added. Furthermore - this may further convince you - they are $45CAD for a triple album set!

14. Mr_Vinyl

Mr_Vinyl Forum Resident

Who here said differently? :sigh:

15. Tungsten

Tungsten Active Member

Oh that's amazing! That fact is worth the purchase alone! Yeah, I was just checking amazon, selling for $31! I don't know my american/canadian conversions but i'm definitely grabbing one. The worst part out is now i'm going to have to buy the cd/dvd set for the 5.1 mixes. Anyone have thoughts of them? I've heard the damnation 5.1 is gorgeous but I haven't heard much on deliverance.

Opeth and Mr_Vinyl like this.
  16. ceddy10165

ceddy10165 My life was saved by rock n roll

I can't pick an album at this point, but like - and is some cases love - everything I've heard.

Due to the thread on the forum when Heritage came out I got that album - with the positive reviews and description of a band that mixed prog and metal, which I both love. I immediately thought it was refreshing, brilliant and beautifully recorded making it a pleasure to listen to. Their material are all "growers" and take patience.

I started checking out complete shows on YouTube, and was fascinated at the mix of old (growl) and new material (clean). It's the the first time a band with the death metal vocals made me want to listen and understand a style I previously couldn't penetrate. In Opeth I hear highly technical and proficient musicality played with what I hear as passion and emotion. Those live shows started to intrigue and hook me.

I eventually watched all of the official DVD and doc releases I could, which gave me a deep understanding of the songbook, singular uniqueness, range, humor, self-depricating self-belief, brains, hard work, slow build of success and dedicated fan base.

Since I got into Heritage I've bought every single album, in 5.1 special editions where available, every DVD release, a couple records, the official book and am now going to see them for the first time in October.

I think they're going to occupy the place that Rush held for me when they were active. A band I'll always follow, deeply love, see every tour, and feel proud and dedicated to be their fan.

They are a very special and rare band. They're a "before and after" band for me. They changed my musical life and I'll look back at getting in to them as a touchstone - like Robert Johnson, sun Ra, Coltrane, the Beatles, the dead, the crowes, glen Gould, Zappa, Rush, yes, sabbath, Ryan Adams, nrbq, swervedriver, nick drake, Zeppelin, prince, police, Bowie and on and on.

They just capture this intangible magical "thing" that makes us hardcore fans. My wife finds it really dark music - like I should be wearing corpse paint now or something - and I get that perception, but it sounds so beautiful and intricate to me. It seems logical, organic and natural.

Other than pure power pop, avant garde jazz, gram parsons Americana, they pretty much mix a little of every single kind of music I love. I can't name a modern recording performing band that can touch them. They take work, but it's rewarding and doesn't get old quick. I like Opeth.

And again, thanks to this forum, which also turned me on to Brian Wilson's SMiLE, another defying moment in my musical life.

See you around for Sorceress!

17. voxmortis

voxmortis New Member

Could anyone please comment on the sound of the recent Roundhouse Tapes lp reissue? I'm going to buy this one but I'm kind of hesitant in the light of the comment one guy left on the discogs page.
    Thanks in advance.

Dr. Metal MD likes this.
  18. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

My copy is great, one of the best guitar tones on a live album ever.

19. voxmortis

voxmortis New Member

Thank you very much for the reply!
    Have you compared it to CD version?

20. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

Yessir I always preferred the sound of the DVD over the cds which I watch a lot. The vinyl matched it easily. Everything was done by the same team as the deliverance/ damnation and lamentations 3lp sets as far as place of mastering and pressing too.

21. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

Your experience is very similar to mine, you just articulated it a lot more succinctly than I could have.

I agree, Opeth now easily warrants a slot in my "best bands of all-time" list.

Wounded Land and BLUESJAZZMAN like this.
  22. monotone

monotone I know noothing.

Every time I see this thread I want to change my vote. There's five or six albums that could have the top spot at any given time. Obviously, that's no problem at all.

23. Luca

Luca Wolf under sheep clothing

Ghost Reveries for sure, it's one of the most haunting and diverse. It encompasses all that's good in Opeth, and many of their evolutions and different styles.

Very close second place for Blackwater Park.

Third place for Damnation, because it's so delicate and evocative.

BLUESJAZZMAN likes this.
  24. Wounded Land

Wounded Land Forum Resident

I voted for Blackwater Park, but Watershed deserves some more love. That's a great record.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.