[Poll] Best Turntable Under $1000 USD? (2021 Edition - Pick Two)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Cyclone Ranger, Apr 12, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock Thread Starter

LOTS of ppl seem to post with this question, or some variation on it... 'Best Turntable Under $1000'. And it's an important TT segment, i.e. the class of 'tables right above entry-level, sonically, or should be (sorry, but $500-class 'tables tend to offer little sonic improvement over entry-level, they seem to lean towards 'still entry-level, but prettied-up').

So, let's poll this important TT class and give it its own thread.

Did do a similar poll about 2 1/2 years ago, but the landscape has changed a bit since then, and that poll was at a higher price range ($700-1250 USD). Sub-$1000 USD is more budget-oriented.

Notes, for the OCD/stickler contingent (otherwise known as 'engineers'): :laugh:

Yep, the poll is US-oriented in terms of choices, price-point, and currency (aka USD). But nearly all the 'tables are also available in the EU and Asia (for slightly different prices).

Price is MSRP and for new 'tables, not used/open-box/demo/discontinued/'special sale'.

Also doesn't matter if the 'table comes with a cart and/or phono stage or not, the total package price determines.

"I'm pretty sure there's a bunch of Pro-Ject 'tables you forgot!" No, didn't forget. Pro-Ject has more models than infinity, and it isn't fair to let them dominate the poll based solely on # of models. So I gave 'em two.

"Dual? I thought they weren't available in the US." Seems like that's changing... some Duals were listed on the B&H site with a May release date (though they just got taken off again).

"What about Crosley?" Don't make me hunt you down.

"A couple of these cost exactly $1000, which ISN'T 'sub-$1000!" Sigh. Find a penny on the sidewalk... there, now it's under $1000.

"You forgot Mondo Obscuro Turntable X!" Choose 'Other' in the poll and post about Mondo Obscuro Turntable X in the thread, its not hard.

"Some finishes on some of the 'tables make them cost more than $1000!" Sue me. Or them.

"Some of the TTs in your last poll aren't in this one." Yup, due to the lower price point of this poll, and some 'tables getting discontinued. Also got rid of any 'tables that didn't get at least 2 percent of the vote last poll.

"Do I have to vote for the best-sounding one? Could I vote for the best value, or the one that best matches my decor?" I sure can't stop you.

"Why do I get to vote for TWO choices?" Because life is a mystery wrapped in an enigma slathered in secret sauce. And because sometimes it's very close between your top picks. You don't have to use both picks either.

Thanks. :righton:

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
    SpeedMorris, trd, IRG and 2 others like this.
  2. Randoms

Randoms Aerie Faerie Nonsense

I won't vote in this as i'm UK based and not heard most of the turntables!

However I really like the sound of Mondo Obscuro Turntable X!, will seek one out at the earliest opportunity and you've explained yourself really well.

Good luck with your poll.

Cyclone Ranger and Swann36 like this.
  3. Cyclone Ranger

Thanks! And sorry about all the notes, but I've run a few polls, and it's AMAZING what some ppl are sticklers about. o_O

trd and Randoms like this.
  4. Randoms

Randoms Aerie Faerie Nonsense

Indeed.

Interesting to see if Technics romps home by a mile, despite very few seeing, hearing, owning a Mk 7 and not having listened to any of the alternatives! :whistle:

Tim 2 and Diapason like this.
  5. Cyclone Ranger

The Technics came in second in the last poll, so that's by no means a done deal.

For myself, I'm kinda curious to see how the Schiit does, as it's gotten more established/known since the last poll.

6. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

You obviously don't work with a lot of engineers. As an engineer, let me tell you a few things. Engineers are not OCD. We can't be, we work with tolerances. There nothing Obsessives or Compulsive about using tolerances.

7. Pythonman

Pythonman Forum Resident

I voted Rega Planar 3 and Other. Other would be a Planar 2.

AKA-Chuck G, Mr. Bewlay and PhxJohn like this.
  8. woodpigeon

woodpigeon Forum Resident

This is precisely the kind of clarification I expect and appreciate from the engineers I work with.

ddarch, Militant Dandy, trd and 2 others like this.
  9. Diapason

Diapason Forum Resident

I've heard exactly one deck on this list and it's the one that I own: Rega P3 (2016). As such I'll refrain from voting, and it would be nice to think that others in a similar position will do the same, but who knows.

I'm kinda tempted by the Schiit, though, being the exact opposite to the Rega in terms of tinkerability.

10. Cyclone Ranger

Diplomatically put. ;)

Randoms likes this.
  11. Technocentral

Technocentral Forum Resident

Picked Other, I'd suggest a restored/upgraded vintage table of the sort Vinyl Nirvana do, I love my Thorens 160 here in Ireland, got some upgrades done here, new rcas, power lead, grounding cable, leather/cork mat, spare audiosilente headshell that makes cartridge replacement much easier etc. about 800 euros including the brilliant at vm95ml cartridge on it.

12. Henrik_Swe

Henrik_Swe Well-Known Member

Too many tables I haven't heard unfortunately. Ended up casting two votes, one of which is my current TT.

13. woodpigeon

woodpigeon Forum Resident

I haven’t heard any of them but would be interested in seeing the poll results if you decide to open them up to people who haven’t voted later.

14. Cyclone Ranger

Just vote ‘Other’ and you’ll be able to see the results without voting for a specific ‘table, if that’s something you don’t wish to do.

Diapason and woodpigeon like this.
  15. Cyclone Ranger

Results so far... it’s a Rega vs Technics shoot-out.

16. IRG

IRG Forum Resident

Yep, as I voted for them both, and sort of expected this too. Probably the best two turntables at this price point, and I own neither (yet - have a Uturn). But I scour sites a lot, and for around $1k, I do believe these two to be the best. And "around" $2k I think it is the Rega P6 vs. Technics SL1200GR. That is, until the sagging plinth issue of the P6. It may well be a one-horse race now.

With your poll (very good btw) I would lump in the Technics SL1500c with the Mk7. Yes it is a bit over your budget, but comes with a cartridge and phono preamp, which could make it a bargain. Pretty similar turntables overall, I actually prefer the simple looks of the 1500, but wouldn't want the cartridge or phone preamp myself.

I keep thinking when I upgrade my Uturn, I'll go with something higher end than any of these models, but at the end of the day, I'm not sure I really need it, or require it. A P3 or the Technics with a good cart could make me quite happy.

17. trd

trd Forum Resident

This post is making the opposite point that you think it is :D

18. Phil Thien

Phil Thien Forum Resident

I wish non-voters could see the results. I don't want to skew things by voting because I honestly don't have an opinion.

19. IRG

IRG Forum Resident

You can't view it without voting? Usually that's possible. Anyway, at this moment, there is 18 votes Rega P3, and 16 Technics SL1200Mk7, Mofi with 5 votes, and everything else less than that. Correction, Schitt has 6 votes.

20. McLover

McLover Senior Member

For me, the Technics is demonstrably superior to all else in the price range. Even though it is not the detail king, or styling king. And Technics built it in their own factory. VPI Cliffwood is also nice and my second choice. Also, is USA built. Rega is another nice choice, but could benefit from a few upgrades. But does do the fundamentals somewhat right at Planar 3 level. The Rega arm is the best for the price class.

21. Cyclone Ranger

See post #14. :thumbsup:

22. Cyclone Ranger

Well, at least we haven’t had a direct-drive vs belt-drive argument yet. Those are tedious. :sigh:

And silly, considering excellent TTs exist in both technologies.

23. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

I don't know how most folks can vote as I doubt they've heard every table on the list.

William Bryant likes this.
  24. Cyclone Ranger

What if you’ve heard several, and just pick your top one or two?

With so many respondees, it kinda evens out.

25. Cyclone Ranger

sidenote: Damb, what’s up with the sudden big Technics surge?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.