[Poll] Best Turntables for Under $1600 (w/arm)? (pick 3)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Cyclone Ranger, Jun 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Poll-design quibble: can't folks order the SL-1200GR for right around $1600? If not, it's within $100 of that mark, right? That's what I would do in this category. (It also meets all of that guy's needs for less than $2000, in case he's actually looking for an answer to that question.)

2. Tim Irvine

Tim Irvine Forum Resident

Yes on the SS weight upgrade plus cork mat and Bren weight.

3. ATSMUSIC

ATSMUSIC Senior Member

That is 1800, not sure if dealers can offer discounts on that or not, but the demand is really high.

4. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Oh, thanks. The current exchange rate from the UK puts it closer to $1600. I hadn't seen a US dealer price yet.

5. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani ~ Ghosts (2023 LP)

Value Electronics says $1699 delivered nationwide on their site, as the projected release date a few weeks ago came and went, but I don't know if they are really taking orders yet ... Technics SL-1200G

There has been at least one US 1210GR model show up on ebay, so somebody over here must have them.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
  6. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock Thread Starter

Yup... close to the poll cut-off but not quite under it.

Though possibly if I had it to do over, I might've gone with a $1700 cut-off for this very reason. Of course, though, the 1200GR hadn't been released as of the time of the poll starting.

7. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I don't need to own a product to comment on its performance provided I've seen youtube videos that poor mouth it. Experience is no substitute for youtube. Nobody would ever say anything on the internet that wasn't 100% correct, so this is a perfectly good way of going about life.

8. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

yes, i found the 3 top ones (and incidentally increased their % )...

But it 's funny to see how predictable the results are here !

9. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

Say something once
    why say it again?

-David Byrne

Cyclone Ranger likes this.
  10. Troyh

Troyh Forum Resident

I'm sticking with my now familiar routine of recommending the Oracle Origine. Fantastic table all the way around. (I've posted several times about it if you do a search.)

11. Davey

Beautiful table, but not much chance of it dipping under $1600 :)

12. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

I use a Pioneer belt drive that I bought at a yard sale for ten bucks. It has never let me down.

13. Troyh

Troyh Forum Resident

Davey,
    Very true, but.....
    It's preeettty close. (I traded in some gear to get mine below the price point.) ..and worth every penny. If I would've been disappointed, I would share that as well.

14. Davey

Yea, it comes with an Ortofon 2M Blue at most places for $1999, that's worth a couple hundred, so it's getting close. Maybe catch the dealer on a good day, and there you are :)

But anyway, what is pretty obvious from this thread is that there are so many great choices now, both old and new. Hard to go wrong either way if you are willing to spend a little time researching what's available. I saw a brand new Technics SL-1200 MK5 on ebay today, in box and delivered for $850. And for $1600, you can get some pretty exotic vintage gear, even some mint examples from Japan for that price (though if buying from Japan you may have to add a transformer to drop the AC voltage down a little to 100VAC, but pick a good one and it can act as an isolation transformer).

15. Cyclone Ranger

Doesn't quite come in under the poll price cut-off. But yes, quite the beauty, she is.. :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

Slick Willie likes this.
  16. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

That's nice,,,,not AT120 nice...but still, sweet!

Cyclone Ranger and Jack Flannery like this.
  17. Cyclone Ranger

LOLZ. :laugh:

Slick Willie likes this.
  18. Cyclone Ranger

Yah, most of the frontrunners you probably could've predicted in advance. But not all.

The Marantz TT-15, for instance, is a dark horse that has been getting more and more attention of late. And the PolyTable wasn't really on my radar screen at all prior to this (though maybe it should've been).

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
  19. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Not sure why, but I'm surprised (mildly so though) at the strong Rega showing. I've thought of this forum as a huge mass load design fan site.
    Anyhoo...hard to go wrong at this price point.

20. Cyclone Ranger

21. Cyclone Ranger

Some of it may be how good the re-design of the Rega TT line has been going for them. Gives the brand more cachet if they're executing well/the new products are actually worthwhile.

IOW, they don't seem to be 'putting a foot wrong' on that (UK expression)... at least so far.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
  22. Tartifless

Iam sorry but vpi scout junior is also 1599 $ , why would it qualify more ?

23. Cyclone Ranger

Huh? What are you saying?

VPI Scout Jr. is $1599, which is below the cutoff and so is in the poll (and is leading it, currently).

The new Planar 6 got a price increase, which may push it above $1600 USD (no one know for sure yet, but, probably). But, it can't even be in the poll, because the poll already started. But the old Rega RP6, which is below $1600, is already in the poll, and doing well (#2, currently).

24. Tartifless

I agree, fully my mistake , i don't know why but i read the title as being the best turntable under 1500 $ ...
    Must be my eyes playing with me !

25. Cyclone Ranger

No prob man, we all do it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.