Poll: Black Flag

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by TAF8184, Jul 25, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bob338

bob338 Forum Resident

I love the Rollins live stuff, but nothing beats the early Keith songs. I don't dislike Dez or Ron, but Keith was just so perfect for this band. Such a shame what a stinker Ginn turned into in recent years.

listner_matt and PimentDouceur like this.
  2. nolazep

nolazep Burrito Enthusiast

I'm all about Slip It On until they officially put out the demos with Chuck Biscuits.

Keith was their best vocalist, followed by Dez imo.

listner_matt likes this.
  3. bob338

bob338 Forum Resident

I forgot to add that the 1982 demos are absolutely essential. Find them and you'll hear how powerful this band really was.

Sear and ghoulsurgery like this.
  4. PimentDouceur

PimentDouceur Forum Resident

I wonder if he wasn't always a POS, to be honest. Never paid bands or paid them pocket change.

5. TAF8184

TAF8184 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Including their time as Panic, they were a punk band from 1976 - 1982 or 83 before the metal crept in. A lot of punk band that are still together after five years morph into something else than what they started as. I agree with what you're saying. It's just all bands change somewhat at least during their first five years or so. I've read the band members really like In My Head a lot yet I always felt it was a step down from Loose Nut. The second side just felt almost generic. Weak songs compared to Loose Nut which on the tour for that album they were playing all but one song (Now She's Black). I'm not sure how many In My Head songs they played on that tour.

6. лусссссс nut een moyn heAd! Who's Got The 10 & 1/2 is a favorite of mine. Did Black Flag ever tour in Russia?

7. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

I wish the 82 demos had Bill Stevenson on them. Or there was a separate set of demos with Bill. Chuck Biscuits is very good but I like Bill’s parts better.

I have a weird vinyl pressing of the 82 demos that I’ve never been able to find anything about. I’m guessing it’s a test pressing of a bootleg, but I’ve never been able to find any info on a boot pressing with the same matrix info. It’s got no sleeve and plain white labels with “PH-101, 3 of 4” written on one side. The matrix has the PH-101 number too.

8. BlueTrane

BlueTrane Forum Resident

The audiobook of Get In The Van is a really fun and interesting listen - an American coming of age story, set in the fast paced, hard working, and often brutal world of Black Flag, with relentless touring, precarious finances, corrupt promoters, litigious record labels, and harassment from an openly hostile LAPD. It’s a wild ride.

Beamish13 likes this.
  9. Izozeles

Izozeles Pushing my limits

Favorite Black Flag album cover?
    Slip it in

10. bob338

bob338 Forum Resident

I know a few of the bands that were on the label in the early days and no one gets paid. Mr. Ginn is not a very nice person it seems.

PimentDouceur and ghoulsurgery like this.
  11. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

I just ordered a few records from the SST site. I felt a little weird about it, knowing the bands won’t get paid. But I figure they won’t get paid if I buy used copies somewhere either. It just stinks. At least SST has decent prices for mailorder

12. FlexFantastic

FlexFantastic Mechano-Man of the Future!

It's me, the guy who voted for My War because of its unmatchable side two.

PimentDouceur and AlfonsoVG like this.
  13. Zach Johnson

Zach Johnson Forum Resident

I'm a fan of the later, more experimental Black Flag, so I'd choose My War, Family Man, and The Process of Weeding Out (my favourite).

I also love 'Obliteration' off of Slip It In...Reminds me of Mahavishnu Orchestra. I wish the rest of the album was more similar to that track.

PimentDouceur and FlexFantastic like this.
  14. TAF8184

I've heard Grant Hart say Husker was to blame for them not getting any money from SST. They said to put it back into the label but it's up to Ginn to know when that isn't necessary anymore. They didn't say keep all of our royalties forever.

PimentDouceur likes this.
  15. TAF8184

I heard Live '84 before My War nd Slip It In. What made those a difficult listen are the oddly timed stops they did on the studio albums whereas on the live album they were more in time. Less jerky-jerky, more rocking. With the two songs on Live '84 from side two of My War; still slow but a bit faster. I felt they had more power to them. I think this was recorded on the My War tour and they did 6 out of 8 songs from Slip It In!

ghoulsurgery likes this.
  16. AlfonsoVG

AlfonsoVG all shook down

This is me as well.

FlexFantastic likes this.
  17. Beamish13

Beamish13 Forum Resident

Jealous Again. I have a shirt with Pettibon’s wonderful art. He’s probably the most successful person to have been associated with SST. Some of his paintings go for over $2okUSD

18. Spazaru

Spazaru Angry Samoan

Keith Morris is the greatest punk vocalist of all time IMO

19. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. .

Nervous Breakdown by FAR.
    When Henry Rollins came in the band, they went down the toilet.
    Oh, Damaged is a mostly great album, but that's because almost all the songs (if not all) were written before he joined.
    Amazing that afterward there were a few decent songs - three or four on My War, a couple on Slip It In, and Paralyzed on In My Head.
    My second favorite record by Black Flag would either be their version of Louie Louie or the Jealous Again EP (the latter my first record I owned by them, back in '82).
    I didn't get to see them live til the pre-My War period, where they were doing some of it live, and they were always terrible.

Spazaru and Beamish13 like this.
  20. Spazaru

Spazaru Angry Samoan

I remember my friend getting My War in the mail and us running home from school to listen to it. It was the last Black Flag record we ever bought or listened to. Rollins turned them into a bad heavy metal band.

Jimmy B. likes this.
  21. Spazaru

Spazaru Angry Samoan

COMPLETELY agree with your Rollins take. Keith Morris/Dez/Chavo FTW

22. Beamish13

Beamish13 Forum Resident

I think a lot of the metal influences came from Ginn as well. He always wanted to have a Sabbath-style rock outfit, and SST kind of did with St. Vitus. Rollins’ post-Flag work is even worse. Rollins Band was just abysmal

Spazaru and PimentDouceur like this.
  23. PimentDouceur

PimentDouceur Forum Resident

I truly dont get the Rollins hate on flag records. My War is perfect.

FlexFantastic and ghoulsurgery like this.
  24. Spazaru

Spazaru Angry Samoan

Yeah I agree with this too.

Beamish13 likes this.
  25. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

I’m in this boat as well. Rollins voice as a gnarled instrument is so fitting for those songs. His screams and Bill’s rhythms made them stand apart from any metal band.

PimentDouceur likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.