POLL: Blue Note's Tone Poet Series (2020)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SJR, Nov 15, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man Thread Starter

It's back by popular demand — this year's Blue Note Tone Poet releases poll!

I know there's still a few remaining titles left to come, but I thought I'd create this thread now for people to dip in and out of as they please, and also for it to be used as a guide for others who may just be getting into the series, or jazz in general and want to see what all the fuss is about.

Everyone knows 2020 has been a crazy year, but some good news was the continuation of Blue Note's Tone Poet series. Despite some production delays mid-year, they soldiered on and managed to end up releasing (or will) 21 albums from numerous jazz artists highlighting varying jazz-styles. As last year, it's been a smash hit and a complete aural experience, continuing to broaden my discovery of jazz with some lesser-known gems.

It's great to see the popular demand for this series (and other jazz reissues) and I'm delighted and excited that there's more coming in 2021!

I've capped voting at 7, so please pick/vote for your favourites (so far).

Mine, in no preferred order (I've included one that hasn't been released yet, though I've heard non-TP):

Donald Byrd — Byrd In Flight
    Duke Ellington/Charles Mingus/Max Roach — Money Jungle
    Herbie Hancock — The Prisoner
    Bobby Hutcherson — Oblique
    Jackie McLean — It's Time
    Lee Morgan — The Cooker
    Duke Pearson — The Phantom

PBo, Joti Cover, ausgraeme and 3 others like this.
  2. danasgoodstuff

danasgoodstuff Forum Resident

I voted on the basis of music, not sound, since I only own one of these as a Tone Poet:

My Point of View
    Oblique
    It's Time!!!
    Further Explorations
    Prayer Meetin'
    All In My Mind
    Tender Moments

But the're all worthy, even the two Turrentine that don't have any votes yet.

Joti Cover, timzigs and SJR like this.
  3. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

I've got the two Hancock's, Hutcherson's, Chet Sings, It's Time, and Further Explorations so far. I think these are some of the best sonically which helped nudge a few unexpectedly up my list. It pains me to leave off That's Where It's At as I love this record, but my '75 UA sounds just about as good.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2020
    SJR likes this.
  4. moomoomoomoo

moomoomoomoo WhoNeedsRealityWhenThere'sMoreSleepToLookForwardTo

Ellington
    Grant Green

Haven't heard the others.

SJR likes this.
  5. Chet Baker the best by far for me.

SJR likes this.
  6. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

1) Duke Pearson-The Phantom

2) Bobby Hutcherson-Oblique

3) Horace Silver- Further Explorations

4) Jackie McLean- Its Time!

5) Art Blakey- Roots And Herbs

6) Herbie Hancock- My Point Of View

7) Stanley Turrentine- Thats Where Its At

The Duke Pearson I mentioned way back that it would be the sleeper that would gain ground with folks. Im glad it did. Its a favorite of mine. "Oblique" I had been waiting for patiently as to not be tempted by the pricey shm-sacd. Im glad I waited. If there are more Bobby Hutcherson type titles then they will most likely always be at the top.

The Horace Silver title smokes imo! So it was a surprise title for me to discover and place so high for me. Jackie McLean is another favorite so he leaned into the top like a sharp note.

The two early albums of Herbie Hancock and Stanley Turrentine pick up the rear. I know some think the Hancock is a bit boring, but I dont. Like it quite a bit and find the playing superbly done.

Surprisingly I didnt pick "The Cooker" and instead picked "Roots And Herbs". Thinking I might be a tad burnt out on Lee Morgan. The Art Blakey title is mucho fun.

We should feel well served so far in this series!

See? I didnt even go "there" ;)

7. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

The Prisoner seems to be gaining ground. Ill have to go back and listen to it. Didnt completely click the first listen.

SJR likes this.
  8. SJR

Nice post. Those Top 2 on your list have been a revelation for me, having never heard them before. I’ve only had them a short time, but they’re both absolutely killer titles, and they sound phenomenal.

dasacco and mpayan like this.
  9. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

Waiting Game
    Nigeria
    Oblique
    Phantom
    All In My Mind
    Poppin
    Tender Moments
    Could have chosen any really.

SJR likes this.
  10. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I purchased a cd version of "The Phantom" from a forum member that suggested it. I immediately liked it and its one of my favorite jazz albums. I find it to be rather unique.

Joti Cover and SJR like this.
  11. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

I had the McMaster and the Herbie Box and it never really did much for me. Maybe it reveals better on vinyl.

mpayan likes this.
  12. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

I haven’t listened to any of the most recent vintage. The last time I sat and listened to anything was in July:/ stupid covid

My partner has been using the room as her office nearly freakin full so I have to concede to her and can’t get to my lame $&& table

13. Vibrolux_Reverb

Vibrolux_Reverb Forum Resident

Tender Moments is musically the best imo. A truly incredible session and engaging listen. I really dig the Cooker a whole lot as well, and Lonnie Smiths All in My Mind is crazy underrated. I think it is a pretty unique and brilliant recording.

Sci-Fi Kid, mkortjohn and SJR like this.
  14. SJR

It’s funny, I know you’ve mentioned that one a few times, but it’s one of the only ones across the whole series I don’t have! I might have to “cave” and get into some vocal jazz.

15. SJR

After 48 hours or so, the Top 5 so far:

Lee Morgan — The Cooker
    Chet Baker — Chet Baker Sings
    Grant Green — Nigeria

Joti Cover and Crazysteve like this.
  16. SJR

Weekend bump!

17. Joti Cover

Joti Cover Forum Resident

It’s Time
    The Cooker
    Oblique
    Further Explorations
    My Point of View

SJR likes this.
  18. Joti Cover

Joti Cover Forum Resident

I also have to put The Phantom in....what was I thinking?

SJR likes this.
  19. Grateful Griller

Grateful Griller Forum Resident

Picked up Roots & Herbs yesterday. Outstanding...I'm a newbie to Jazz but Art Blakey and Messengers are becoming a favorite. Not to mention the quality the Tone Poet series in general...Haven't got a bad one yet, music or vinyl quality.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
  20. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

I’m a recent convert to the TP series. I recently received The Kicker and was blown away by the sound; I felt like I was with them in the recording studio. As a result, I purchased a few more during BN’s recent sale; waiting for them to arrive. Although I have most of these on cd, I wouldn’t hesitate to purchase the TPs.

KipB, SJR and Joti Cover like this.
  21. SJR

Bumpity bump . . .

22. edwyun

edwyun Forum Resident

All the TP's are good and of high sonic quality. Only major issue I've heard so far is on Turrentine's That's Where It's At, Side B. There are some what sound like repeating tape flutters for several seconds near the end of Light Blue. Anyone else hear it?

23. SJR

Lee Morgan — The Cooker is the clear front-runner so far, followed by;
    Chet Baker — Chet Baker Sings
    Grant Green — Nigeria

Dan Steele likes this.
  24. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

Steve, @SJR how do you even have Waiting Game and Byrd in Flight in the poll already, they come out tomorrow (Jan 8th)? I pre-ordered the Tina Brooks, supposed to arrive before 11 pm tomorrow, can’t wait!

hutlock and SJR like this.
  25. SJR

I think it’s because they were originally planned to be released late last year, but obviously were delayed.

I’ll add them to a 2021 poll if I do one later this year.

Dan Steele likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.