Dismiss Notice
We are making some updates and reconfigurations to our server. Apologies for any downtime or slow forum loading now or within the next week or so. Thanks!

POLL: Bob Dylan's Blonde on Blonde - your favourite track?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dave Gilmour's Cat, Mar 3, 2017.

1. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident Thread Starter

There was a multi-vote poll previously, but here's my one-vote poll in keeping with the series detailed below.

So if you had to choose just one favourite, which would it be? And why is it your favourite?

•••

Previous polls in this series:
    Bob Dylan's Bob Dylan - your favourite track?
    Bob Dylan's The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan - your favourite track? »
    Bob Dylan's Another Side of Bob Dylan - your favourite track?
    Bob Dylan's Bringing It All Back Home - your favourite track? »
    Bob Dylan's Highway 61 Revisited - your favourite track? »
    Bob Dylan's John Wesley Harding - your favourite track? »
    Bob Dylan's Self Portrait - your favourite track? »
    Bob Dylan's New Morning - your favourite track? »
    Bob Dylan's Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid - your favourite track?
    Bob Dylan's Planet Waves - your favourite track? »
    Bob Dylan's Blood on the Tracks - your favourite track? »
    Bob Dylan's Desire - your favourite track? »
    Bob Dylan's Street-Legal - your favourite track? »
    Bob Dylan's Slow Train Coming - your favourite track? »
    Bob Dylan's Saved - your favourite track? »
    Bob Dylan's Shot of Love - your favourite track? »
    Bob Dylan's Infidels - your favourite track? »
    Bob Dylan's Empire Burlesque - your favourite track? »
    Bob Dylan's Down in the Groove - your favourite track? »
    Bob Dylan's Oh Mercy - your favourite track? »
    Bob Dylan's Under the Red Sky - your favourite track? »
    Bob Dylan's Good as I Been to You - your favourite track? »
    Bob Dylan's World Gone Wrong - your favourite track? »
    Bob Dylan's Time Out of Mind - your favourite track? »
    Bob Dylan's Love and Theft - your favourite track? »
    Bob Dylan's Modern Times - your favourite track?
    Bob Dylan's Together Through Life - your favourite track? »
    Bob Dylan's Christmas in the Heart - your favourite track? »
    Bob Dylan's Tempest - your favourite track?

Search function round-up: http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/search/38885594/?q=bob+dylan%27s+favourite+track&o=relevance&c[title_only]=1

Thank you for voting.

2. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

"VOJ"

Here's a post I write about 2 years ago, partly answering the "Why?" part.

What "Visions of Johanna" means to me, in (not quite) 25 words (but less than 5 pages).

I'll try (and likely fail) to be brief. I often identify "Visions of Johanna" as one of my favorite Dylan songs. So people have asked me "Well, what is the song ABOUT?" A difficult question to answer.

For the sake of brevity, I'll focus on my favorite verse:

Inside the museums, infinity goes up on trial
    Voices echo this is what salvation must be like after a while
    But Mona Lisa musta had the highway blues
    You can tell by the way she smiles

In "Tombstone Blues", Dylan suggests that those most interested in "road maps for the soul" (in other words, those concerned with existential questions) tend to be the aged (who are facing their own mortality head on) and college students. I first encountered "Visions of Johanna" as a 19 or 20 year old college student - one quite concerned about the road map for his soul. This verse jumped out at me in that regard. An afterlife, a salvation, an eternity in Heaven ... might just turn out to be painfully boring. Eternally painfully boring. Where better to question the value of infinite (or eternal) ANYTHING than inside a museum, where time has been intentionally frozen in place? And even Mona Lisa, with the smile that is universally admired, might, as Nat Cole suggested, be hiding some sadness ... maybe because she's been condemned to the staleness of the museum. The bliss suggested by mainstream impressions of eternal happiness, or in the beauty of a revered work of art, may just be more lies that the "they" (from "Last Thoughts on Woody Guthrie") try to sell us in their lotions and potions. This verse was certainly a "carpe diem" experience for this college student. The other verses are pretty damn good too. :)

3. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

Right now?
    "Stuck Inside Of Mobile With the Memphis Blues Again"

Tomorrow?
    "Visions of Johanna"

The next day?
    "Just Like A Woman"

Next week?
    "I Want You"

Randomly?
    "Absolutely Sweet Marie"

Inexplicably?
    "Sad Eyed Lady Of the Lowlands"

4. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

"Sad Eyed Lady of the Lowlands". But just because I could choose only one song and it is the longest.

bumbletort, lightbulb and Dayfold like this.
  5. bluejimbop

bluejimbop Percussionist

"VOJ"
    Mainly because my high school sweetheart was named Joanne and when she left me, I was rendered useless.

Dayfold likes this.
  6. oxenholme

oxenholme High Quality Posts™ a speciality

Absolutely Sweet Marie.

I just like it a tiny bit more than the others. A certain je ne sais quoi!

hello people and Dayfold like this.
  7. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth

the last one.

8. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

my first instinct is VOJ but ill give it to I Want You.....two examples of the greatest songwriter we've had at the peak of his talents

primoridal_ooze and Dayfold like this.
  9. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Forum Resident

More than a handful of contenders but...

One Of us Must Know (Sooner Or Later)

As good a rock song as you're ever likely to hear - the piano playing (Richard Manuel or Paul Griffin depending on what you read) is amazing - and an object lesson on how to use piano and organ on the same song. Oh, and the way they build up to the chorus.Utterly glorious.

10. chervokas

chervokas Forum Resident

That's a hard one -- Visions of Johanna? Stuck Inside of Mobile? Just Like a Woman? Absolutely Sweet Marie? I think it's Visions of Johanna.

lightbulb and Dayfold like this.
  11. ash1

ash1 Forum Resident

Mobile but I love the whole album(s) apart from Sad Eyed Lady. Even Obviously Five Believers is fab and I see that one doesn't often get much praise.
    Wish he'd finished She's Your Lover Now - that song's a major masterpiece.

lightbulb and Dayfold like this.
  12. quakerparrot67

quakerparrot67 Forum Resident

nice post, i like your thinking on 'v.o.j.' which is also my favorite song on 'b.o.b.'. talking heads had a lyric that i also love, saying pretty much the same thing-

'heaven is a place where nothing ever happens'.

cheers,
    rob

RayS likes this.
  13. davesmoked

davesmoked Forum Resident

THIS!
    I vote for I Want You .... for today

lightbulb likes this.
  14. Al Smith

Al Smith Forum Resident

VOJ - I won't over rationalise it; for me, it's just one of those WOW moment songs that hasn't faded in it's appeal.

I was a late comer re Dylan appreciation and I kinda regret not having heard this beautiful and sensuous thing as a younger lad - A

15. babyblue

babyblue Pactches Pal!

No question, One of Us Must Know. May be my favorite Dylan vocal performance ever. The piano is unbelievable. I can't think of anything else that sounds quite like it. The four separate tracks for this song on the Cutting Edge set are pure heaven for me. Every time I hear this track I'm astounded. Those who say Dylan can't sing, this is a prime example of his vocal phrasing at his best.

16. Dayfold

Dayfold Forum Resident

Tough question! Probably my favourite album of all time. Every song is uniquely brilliant.

My daughter's middle name is Johanna, after VOJ.

First dance at my wedding was I Want You.

Just Like a Woman was the song I heard on a jukebox in a pub that made me walk over to find out who it was and so sparked my lifelong love of Dylan's music.

Rainy Day Women is my phone ringtone.

There's that sublime, long-held harmonica note halfway through Pledging My Time that might be the greatest single moment of the whole record.

Today I'll give it to Sad Eyed Lady because it's exceptionally beautiful and because someone upwind said they've no love for it. Nobody puts Lady in a corner...!

17. babyblue

babyblue Pactches Pal!

One of my favorite moments too!

Dayfold likes this.
  18. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

Still the best album of all time. Hard to chose but "Obviously 5 Believers" gets me moving.

Detroit Music Fan likes this.
  19. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

I agree with everyone who selected "Visions of Johanna" as their favorite track.
    However...

In my opinion, the live versions of "Visions of Johanna", (namely at Royal Albert Hall) are amazing and are even better than the studio version, as stupendously mind-numbingly great as that is...

The live version of Visions of Johanna is transcendent to me.

What is significant to me, is that I actually heard a live version of that epic song, before the studio version.
    So, that is the version, with Dylan's plaintive vocals, and concert hall harmonica echoes that resonate the most with me.

20. Mr. D

Mr. D Forum Resident

Visions of Johanna is one of Dylan's greatest songs, however, I consider the version on Biograph to be definitive; therefore, I picked One of Us Must Know (Sooner or Later).

lightbulb likes this.
  21. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

The "VOJ" I fell in love with was the "L.A. Band version", which finally came out legitimately on The Cutting Edge (Take 14). It remains my favorite of the lot.

primoridal_ooze, slane, Mr. D and 2 others like this.
  22. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

Presently it's "Stuck Inside Of Mobile With the Memphis Blues Again" - this lyric always cracks me up:

Mona tried to tell me
    To stay away from the train line
    She said that all the railroad men
    Just drink up your blood like wine
    An’ I said, “Oh, I didn’t know that
    But then again, there’s only one I’ve met
    An’ he just smoked my eyelids
    An’ punched my cigarette”
    At other times my favourite tracks have included:

"Rainy Day Women #12 & 35"
    "Pledging My Time"
    "One of Us Must Know (Sooner or Later)"
    "I Want You"
    "Leopard-Skin Pill-Box Hat"
    "Just Like a Woman"
    "Most Likely You Go Your Way and I'll Go Mine"
    "Temporary Like Achilles"
    "Absolutely Sweet Marie"
    "4th Time Around"
    "Obviously 5 Believers"​
    Plus some of the great outtakes that didn't make the album.

But I've always been bored with this one in comparison to the other tracks: "Sad Eyed Lady of the Lowlands"

Here's what the cover looks like:

[​IMG]

23. mpayan

mpayan Forum Resident

Id almost have to agree. This being many Dylan fans including mine for some time) favorite Dylan album, it changes from time to listen.

I first started listening to this album back when I lived in the country. Had a horse, was living a quite life gardening, hanging out suntaning with the girlfriend in the backyard and in the evening spent my days off trying to write songs on my multi-track recorder.

I only listened to this album when I was outside. I had a pretty good jambox and the cd of Blonde On Blonde stayed in it quite a bit. It seemed to unfold song by song wrapping into the next. Some of the imagery would make me stop and listen half laughing to myself. Much of it I would get this feeling of "Exactly, that is exactly what I felt at certain times and didnt even know." The first album that probably made me think that there was a very different way of writing a song. And that its ok if a story doesnt follow a beginning, middle and ending.

The album has much to say about different levels of life and relationships. Its like one of those old blurry films from 1918 that you find on youtube. Strange lives, odd situations. Yet strangely familar. Forever lost in silver is Blonde On Blonde.

For the situation between two people and its humor, trespassing, age 25 love explained, dirt and loose lace ups, I'll pick "4th Time Around"

lightbulb likes this.
  24. Terry

Terry Senior Member

4th Time Around. Spellbinding.

vivresavie and 905 like this.
  25. Mr. Grieves

Mr. Grieves Forum Resident

Went with Woman this time, but this is my favorite Dylan & possibly my favorite album of all time so they're all fantastic to me & irreplaceable. I think it's pretty obvious which one will dominate, and for good reason.

lightbulb likes this.