POLL: Bob Dylan's Highway 61 Revisited - your favourite track?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dave Gilmour's Cat, Nov 28, 2016.

1. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

I don't usually like to vote in these polls, especially with a record with such an embarrassment of riches, but I picked the title cut. The lyrics are cutting and bursting with truth more than 50 years later but also funny as hell. The police whistle was a touch of genius.
    There is a reason why the Johnny Cash biopic had Johnny blasting this disc on his record player, stoned out of his mind.

SixtiesGuy likes this.
  2. Hardy Melville

Hardy Melville Forum Resident

Also want to give credit to Tombstone Blues, which is not getting many votes here. The controversy at the time about Dylan "going electric" is best on display here with Mike Bloomfield's awesome, ripping guitar work. I would argue Bloomfield here was cutting edge as well, as I can't think of any guitar work previous to his on Tombstone that was equal to it in that very fast single note style played through an overdriven amp. Clapton gets much deserved credit for showing the way for all who followed with the tone he achieved on the Beano album with Mayall. But before that we had Bloomfield, and the Tombstone cut really showed the way before Clapton did.

3. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

Well my favorite is NOT Rolling Stone, although I like it. There are just too many great songs to choose one. The contenders are:

It Takes A Lot To Laugh, It Takes A Train To Cry
    Ballad Of A Thin Man
    Highway 61 Revisited
    Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues
    Desolation Row

Today I pick Desolation Row.

I heard Ballad Of A Thin Man on the radio once and I made it my quest to get the LP it was on. I had no idea. So, I mailed in an order through Rolling Stone magazine to Discount Records in Dinky Town, MN. I ordered 3 LPs, Bringing It All Back Home, Blonde On Blonde and John Wesley Harding. I was taking a shot in the dark. (This was back around 1969-70, so I did not have an easy and quick way to research album contents).

So, although I did not get the song I wanted on the first try, I did get my Bob Dylan record collection off to a good start. My second attempt at buying 3 more LPs the same way proved successful. It was The Time Are A-Changin', The Freewheeling and Highway 61 that I ordered in the second batch.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
    Archtop likes this.
  4. stanlove

stanlove Forum Resident

Its weird I am a huge Dylan fan but I can't stand Desolation Row. To me its just so long and rambling and forced. Maybe one day it will hit.

5. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

Maybe if you research some of the references used for this song it would inspire you? I find that knowing the lyrics and understanding a bit about the author's intent helps me appreciate a song more.

6. grandegi

grandegi Blind test maniac

They're all great, but Like A Rolling Stone is probably one of my favourite ever written and recorded songs.

7. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

I voted for it also as I felt it wouldn't get the votes it deserved even though it's not my favorite on the album it's still a classic Dylan track in every sense. I love the vocal delivery of:

"I don’t have the strength
    To get up and take another shot
    And my best friend, my doctor
    Won’t even say what it is I’ve got"

and "I started out on burgundy
    But soon hit the harder stuff"

Arkay_East, Hardy Melville and qwerty like this.
  8. Hardy Melville

I'm going back to New York City
    I do believe I've had enough.

Arkay_East and George P like this.
  9. stanlove

stanlove Forum Resident

I have no problem when someone lists Like A Rolling Stone as the greatest song ever.

grandegi likes this.
  10. Champagne Boot

Champagne Boot Ain't nothin' gonna break my stride

I've always thought From A Buick 6 was trying a bit too hard on the surrealist blues rock thing, especially alongside a stack of others that do it so well. It's just kind of a throwaway to me.

Archtop and ianuaditis like this.
  11. Hardy Melville

I can see an argument that if you had to pick the least impressive song, Buick might be the best candidate. I suppose that also means in relative terms that makes it the low point. But compared to music in general I don't consider it a low point. It still is a very good song.

ianuaditis likes this.
  12. Arkoffs

Arkoffs Remote member

well if I go down dyin' I'm sure crankin' From a Buick 6 real loud

George P likes this.
  13. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

The results so far are exactly what I'd have predicted. I don't think that's ever happened before!

14. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

For me it's Desolation Row. That's modern poetry.

Archtop, ianuaditis and George P like this.
  15. bunglejerry

bunglejerry Forum Resident

It's practically inconceivable that a 100% perfect song like "Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues" could somehow manage to only be the second best song on an album, but... "Like a Rolling Stone" is "Like a Rolling Stone."

16. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm astonished to see the title track has more votes than 'Queen Jane Approximately'.

17. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

I'm not too surprised, I think it's more clever in a snappy way whereas Queen Jane is more introspective.

Wow, the last time I checked in Desolation Row was a close 2nd, its gotten a lot more spread out.

I'm surprised not to see "Thin Man" higher.

18. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

Ballad of a Thin Man..........and like the version even better on Live at Budokan.

19. Harold R

Harold R Forum Resident

Several favorites here but I'm going to throw some love (my vote) to Tombstone Blues.

20. moonshiner

moonshiner Forum Resident

Thin man

21. SixtiesGuy

SixtiesGuy Ministry of Love

It's been more than 50 years but I'm still astounded by Desolation Row. Hell, I'm still astounded by the whole damn record.

George P likes this.
  22. gpg6212

gpg6212 Well-Known Member

I love love love Tom Thumb's Blues. So much emotion in that song and the surreal lyrics are beautiful.

23. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Agreed. I'm going back to New York City. I do believe I've had enough.

gpg6212 likes this.
  24. Marc 74

Marc 74 Senior Member

Desolation Row followed by Like A Rolling Stone.

Archtop likes this.
  25. hangwire13

hangwire13 Forum Resident

God said to Abraham "kill me a son".....

bluejimbop likes this.