Dismiss Notice
We are making some updates and reconfigurations to our server. Apologies for any downtime or slow forum loading now or within the next week or so. Thanks!

POLL: Bob Dylan's Infidels - your favourite track!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dave Gilmour's Cat, Nov 22, 2016.

1. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. AGimS

AGimS Forum Resident

Have to go with "Jokerman".
    "Sweetheart Like You" is also a favorite. Many good songs this record.

Neonbeam likes this.
  3. mpayan

mpayan Forum Resident

I and I.

But if you went with my Infidels, it would be "Foot Of Pride" and then "Blind Willie McTell".

Last edited: Nov 22, 2016
  4. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Love the entire thing, not a note is wrong. But you're making me choose just one, and so I'll start at the beginning....

Sebastian saglimbenI likes this.
  5. Jamaican bass legend Robbie Shakespeare who played (with Sly Dunbar on drums) on this album loves "Don't fall apart on me tonight"

We even started recording a cover of this tune a couple of years ago at Anchor Studio in Kingston.

He played me a cassette of rough mixes of Infidels he did one night with the engineer to prepare for a next session, and they are quite nice, but like all the other alternate versions circulating around, they dont change the album fundamentally. True some songs could have been included, but as it was released, it's a great album

6. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

"Jokerman" - Dylan at his most melodic.

Here's what the Infidels album looks like:

[​IMG]

7. richierichie

richierichie My glass is always full.

Bob` `80`s return to form!?! :righton:

After `The Holy Trinity` I found myself liking this album but it was no `Blood On The Tracks` or even `Street Legal` but apart from `Neighborhood Bully` I thought OK, there are some good tracks, the next one will be a classic! :cool::laugh::shake:

illwind64 and duggan like this.
  8. richierichie

richierichie My glass is always full.

Just been listening to some other tracks from `other sources` and as often been said `coulda been a classic`. :edthumbs:

9. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

I love this album. It is as it is. The two standout tracks from my perspective are Jokerman and "I and I". My vote goes to Jokerman. Such wonderful ambiguity. Who is the Jokerman? Dylan? Christ? Some other figure?

Tim

bagofsoup and davers like this.
  10. Elton

Elton I Hope Being Helpful, Will Make Me Look Cool

Don't Fall Apart on Me Tonight is my personnel favorite.

But this is one of the Dylan album I love that I found on my own. Jokerman, Sweetheart Like You, License to Kill, all are great songs. It's the attitude and the word play, that's what let you know your listening to Dylan;

I ain’t too good at conversation, girl
    So you might not know exactly how I feel
    But if I could, I’d bring you to the mountaintop, girl
    And build you a house made out of stainless steel
    But it’s like I’m stuck inside a painting
    That’s hanging in the Louvre
    My throat start to tickle and my nose itches
    But I know that I can’t move

-Don't Fall Apart on Me Tonight

11. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Blind Willie McTell, the spare acoustic version. The best song on the album and one of the best of this Nobel Prize winner's career.

a customer and Alan57 like this.
  12. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

"Jokerman". It's cryptic Dylan at his best.

13. Harry Hood

Harry Hood Forum Resident

I like it all (probably apart from Union Sundown) but for favourites, I'll go tracks 8, 1, 2, in that order.

Elton likes this.
  14. Mark87

Mark87 Forum Resident

Although I love this album, I tend to play the outtakes more than the songs selected for the album. It would have made an awesome album if Blind Willie McTell, Lord Protect My Child and Foot of Pride were included.

poolie likes this.
  15. Chooke

Chooke Forum Resident

This was one of the first CDs I bought. Jokerman for me.

16. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

Speaking as a very casual fan, I'll choose Jokerman.

Regginold31 likes this.
  17. babyblue

babyblue Pactches Pal!

Jokerman is one of Dylan's best. Lyrics you can dig into, plus a killer hook chorus.

Sear likes this.
  18. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

"Sweetheart Like You" is one of Dylan's best songs.

I also like "Neighborhood Bully", "I And I", and "License to Kill."

Mr. H likes this.
  19. jpmosu

jpmosu a.k.a. Mr. Jones

Not a surprise that it's a "Jokerman" landslide.

I agree with the vote, but I do have a soft spot for the much-unloved "Don't Fall Apart on Me Tonight."

20. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

From my perspective, "Jokerman" and "I and I" are major songs in Dylan's body of work, and "Sweetheart...," "Man of Peace," and "Don't Fall Apart..." are very, very good second-tier Dylan songs. The other 3 are flawed in serious ways, although they all have their virtues. "License" has some nice moody images and a lovely melody, but its also expresses some weird, half-baked ideas. "Union" and "Bully" fail for me because they express their political ideas in what I think are cartoonish ways. I'm in sympathy with the politics of the former, not so much with the latter, but it's not the ideas themselves that are the problem for me as much as the mode of expression. "Bully" certainly captures a forceful performance, though. Dylan's vocal seems lost in the murk of "Union" (and not just the production, but the arrangement, and the structure of the song itself), so it has a lot less drama for me.

Of course, as others have said, the real masterpiece from the sessions is missing in action!

I voted for "I and I."

L.

mando_dan, ianuaditis and davers like this.
  21. Carserguev

Carserguev Forum Resident

"I and I" was the first Bob song that really "got" to me... I only gave the album a chance because, y'know, Mick Taylor played on it, and Knopfler (I was 15 in 1983!). And at first i didn't really get it, I thought it was OK. My favourite song at first was Neighborhood Bully, I kid you not. But little by little I got it; the Real Live version, which is amazing, helped to...

"I and I" is one for the ages, one of my favourite Bob and non-Bob songs ever.

Jokerman is not that far behind...

Tommy Jay, Panama Hotel and MRamble like this.
  22. ScramMan2

ScramMan2 Forum Resident

Had to go with Jokerman on this record. I wonder how he'd hack it up on his current tour.

23. Carserguev

Carserguev Forum Resident

He did last play Jokerman a few times in 2003, if I remember correctly, with Freddie Koella on guitar, and he NAILED it! Those 2003-early 2004 shows rocked, IMHO.

24. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Love every song on this album but if forced to pick one its "Sweetheart Like You.

Shvartze Shabbos and MRamble like this.
  25. ManFromCouv

ManFromCouv Employee #3541

Sweetheart Like You
    Man Of Peace comes second (I love shuffles).

Jokerman is the weak link on the album . :hide: