Dismiss Notice
We are making some updates and reconfigurations to our server. Apologies for any downtime or slow forum loading now or within the next week or so. Thanks!

POLL: Bob Dylan's Oh Mercy - your favourite track?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dave Gilmour's Cat, Nov 20, 2016.

1. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. LandHorses

LandHorses Forum Resident

This is in my top 10 favorite Dylan albums. Every track is great, but I went with "Man In The Long Black Coat.

3. stepeanut

stepeanut Holmes Boy

"Most of the Time".

DavidD, SteveFff and jeffrey walsh like this.
  4. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

One of those times where everything just comes together. The overall sound is wonderful, the songs are concise, the cover art is magic.

Man in a Long Black Coat wins out, but when listening to this it just sounds complete, and set just right. You couldn't take anything out without distorting the whole.

5. egebamyasi

egebamyasi Forum Resident

Most of the time it's Most Of The Time.

DavidD, ausgraeme, SteveFff and 3 others like this.
  6. levi

levi Can't Stand Up For Falling Down In Memoriam

I went with Everything Is Broken ... just rocks along like a swamp snake.

(I'm not really sure that meant, but I liked the sound of it).

Also ... the older I get, the more Oh, Mercy resonates with me. It might be my favorite Dylan album at this point in my life.

7. Alert

Alert Forum Resident

"Everything Is Broken"

chickendinna and levi like this.
  8. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

Ring Them Bells

Buda likes this.
  9. When In Rome

When In Rome It's far from being all over...

"Most of the time." I love this song, fantastic writing on this track and superb arrangement that's almost ethereal. I'd love to write more but my words can't do it justice and you know what, I'm off to listen it, right now!

10. Archtop

Archtop Who stole the tarts?

Most of the Time. Great lyric and production, but it's Tony Hall's bass work that puts it over the top.

TS582 and jeffrey walsh like this.
  11. Claudio Dirani

Claudio Dirani Forum's hostage

Tough one!
    Voted Shooting Star, but could be MOTT, RTB, TMITLBC, EIB...

12. chervokas

chervokas Forum Resident

"Ring Them Bells," easy choice for me... Really like the album, as a whole, but "Ring Them Bell" occupies a special place for me (though my favorite song from the era, is "Dignity," unfinished at the time of course so there really wasn't a great version to include on the album, but it's is among my favorite Dylan songs of all time. I also love "Series of Dreams" more than most of the other material on the finished album).

13. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

"Everything Is Broken" - I just love the guitars with the reverb/echo rolliking along.

I recall when a friend was buying a hifi I brought it as one of my test songs. In one hifi shop the whole store (staff and customers) came into the listening area to hear the song, with "what's that fantastic song your playing" being asked.

And here's what the album looks like:

[​IMG]

14. IronWaffle

IronWaffle It’s all over now, baby blue

Hard to choose. I went with "What Good Am I" (my favorite cover here) but "Man in the Long Black Coat" (another song with many strong covers) and "Most of the Time" give it a real run for its money. Much as I love the verses to "Shooting Star," the bridge knocks it down an notch in my personal esteem.

If "Dignity" (particularly the stripped version of the Greatest Hits, Vol. 3 take),"Series of Dreams" and/or "Born in Time" hadn't been axed then those would be equal contenders. This really was arguably a re-awakening for his songcraft -- or at least for the realization of his songs.

I think "Dignity" was his finest moment in this period as well. Was the Best of, Vol. 2/Touched by an Angel version completed at the time? I was under the impression that complete run through was but that it sat in the vault until Brendan O'Brien overdubbed the additional "alt. country" instrumentation some five years later.

Your post has me queuing up "Ring Them Bells" for re-evaluation. I know it's well-regarded but it's never quite hit me.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2016
    DeeThomaz, Claudio Dirani and Mr. D like this.
  15. Mr. D

Mr. D Forum Resident

Born In Time, Series of Dreams, Dignity

Oh yeah, forgot, he decided not to put those on Oh Mercy o_O

16. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Most of the Time

DavidD likes this.
  17. willy

willy hooga hagga hooga

'Most of the Time'...... :righton:

DavidD likes this.
  18. Nipper

Nipper His Master's Voice

"Man In The Long Black Coat".

This and John Wesley Harding are my favorite Dylan albums. Other top-notch songs here include "Everything Is Broken", "Most Of The Time", "Ring Them Bells", "What Was It You Wanted" and "Shooting Star".

19. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Forum Resident

Dignity and Series of Dreams. Which of course he left in the can.

DavidD and IronWaffle like this.
  20. chervokas

chervokas Forum Resident

It's unclear to me what of it was complete and what of it was added later, so many different takes, whole and partial floating around on the boots and Tell Tale Signs, etc. I'm not sure I've heard any of those with the exact lyrics of the final released version, but I may just not be remembering correctly. In any event, I'm not much a fan of any of those arrangements either. To me they sound tentative, rhythmically clunky, guys feeling their way through something that hasn't found its form yet, or Dylan solo stabbing his way through something he hasn't figured out what rhythm he wants for it yet. I don't think there was anything there to just polish up and stick on Oh Mercy and have it work (and I'm not really a fan at all of that swampy Lanois homogenizer he used to put all these artists through so they come out all sounding the same. He's like Jeff Lynne to me. Maybe he's good at helping inspired artists with their writing, but I could do with a lot less of the rest of it). To me "Dignity" became a great record in the end, but I haven't heard any actual outtake from Oh Mercy that taken alone struck me as great or even finished sounding. The O'Brien version has rhythmic drive and forward moment that gives the proceedings a coherence and excitement lacking in all those other tentative performances.

IronWaffle likes this.
  21. babyblue

babyblue Pactches Pal!

I voted for "Most of the Time," but I really could have chosen almost the whole album. Only "Disease of Conceit" is slightly weaker than the rest. "Born in Time," "Dignity" and "Series of Dreams" are all great and should have made the cut.

DavidD likes this.
  22. SonicBob

SonicBob Forum Resident

Ring Them Bells strikes a special chord with me, I don't know if its the electric piano, his vocal or the words, but its definitely one of my favorites. Most of the Time, Man in the Long Black Coat and Shooting Star are also great songs from that record.

DavidD, Jimmy B. and AJK74 like this.
  23. fluffskul

fluffskul Would rather be at a concert

THIS was tough... but went "Man in the Long Black Coat." Probably more so for some of the chilling performances I heard him do it on "Never Ending Tour" than the album version though.

Davido and dylankicks like this.
  24. AJK74

AJK74 Forum Resident

Very tough, indeed. For me, it's an even split between Political World and Ring them Bells (but I went for the latter in the poll...)

25. "Everything Is Broken" got my vote... but it was a very hard choice...
    ...such a terrific album... lots of other great tracks- "Most Of The Time", "Shooting Star", "Ring Them Bells", "Man In The Long Black Coat" & "What Good Am I"

levi likes this.