Dismiss Notice
We are making some updates and reconfigurations to our server. Apologies for any downtime or slow forum loading now or within the next week or so. Thanks!

POLL: Bob Dylan's Time Out of Mind - your favourite track?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dave Gilmour's Cat, Dec 30, 2016.

1. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident Thread Starter

For this week's poll, we leap to Bob's much-acclaimed 1997 LP produced by Daniel Lanois. Your favourite track? And why's it your favourite?

•••

Previous polls in this series:
    Bob Dylan's Bringing It All Back Home - your favourite track? »
    Bob Dylan's Highway 61 Revisited - your favourite track? »
    Bob Dylan's John Wesley Harding - your favourite track? »
    Bob Dylan's Self Portrait - your favourite track? »
    Bob Dylan's New Morning - your favourite track? »
    Bob Dylan's Planet Waves - your favourite track? »
    Bob Dylan's Desire - your favourite track? »
    Bob Dylan's Street-Legal - your favourite track? »
    Bob Dylan's Slow Train Coming - your favourite track? »
    Bob Dylan's Saved - your favourite track? »
    Bob Dylan's Shot of Love - your favourite track? »
    Bob Dylan's Infidels - your favourite track? »
    Bob Dylan's Empire Burlesque - your favourite track? »
    Bob Dylan's Oh Mercy - your favourite track? »
    Bob Dylan's Under the Red Sky - your favourite track? »
    Bob Dylan's Good as I Been to You - your favourite track? »
    Bob Dylan's World Gone Wrong - your favourite track? »
    Bob Dylan's Love and Theft - your favourite track? »
    Bob Dylan's Together Through Life - your favourite track? »
    Bob Dylan's Christmas in the Heart - your favourite track? »

Search function round-up: http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/search/38885594/?q=bob+dylan%27s+favourite+track&o=relevance&c[title_only]=1

Thank you for voting.

2. Thomas Casagranda

Thomas Casagranda Forum Resident

I've gone for Not Dark Yet. Cold Irons Bound sounds better on the Masked & Anonymous OST

3. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

I selected "Dirt Road Blues", but honestly, it could have easily been most of these tracks.

It would make me very happy if Bob could make another album of this caliber before he retires. His last few albums haven't sustained many playings.

Here is what the cover looks like:

[​IMG]

4. Afaninfull

Afaninfull Forum Resident

I went back and forth between Standing In The Doorway and Not Dark Yet.

I remember when I got Time Out Of Mind back in September of 1997. It seems like it had been such a long stretch since we had any original Dylan songs and when Standing In The Doorway played, I can still vividly recall all those feelings you get when you hear a great Dylan song. Loved the way he phrases the title differently every time just like with Stuck Inside of Mobile and the last verse you hear all the pain and anguish come through.

Apparently, there is an alternate take of this song that was really close to making the album. Dylan went back and forth before settling on this one. I'm sure it's a way off but boy will Time Out of Mind make a dandy Bootleg Series. The Oxnard recordings, Miami sessions, an alternate Jim Dickinson sequence or mix and Lanois' brother apparently filming many of these performances...

Buda and qwerty like this.
  5. stepeanut

stepeanut Holmes Boy

"Tryin' to Get to Heaven".

6. dylankicks

dylankicks Forum Resident

One of his most solid efforts ever, to me top 5 overall, and I've heard them all. A solid case could be made for practically any of the songs here, but it is hard to vote for anything but NDY, one of his greatest songs ever.

7. babyblue

babyblue Pactches Pal!

Can't Wait for me. It's such an odd sounding song, it rocks in an off-kilter way. Really I could have picked any song from this album, except maybe Feel My Love (and even that fits well into the album sequence).

8. Sherman

Sherman Forum Resident

While the whole record has an elegiac quality to it, Not Dark Yet is most overt about it, to wonderful effect. Its perfect. Not necessarily my favorite Dylan song, as that changes every couple of years, but it always gets my full attention and I never turn it off when it pops up on whatever bootleg I'm listening to (which is how I do most of my Bob listening). I think Bob thinks so too, as I haven't heard him do a bad or phoned in version.

Love the whole album and think its his high water mark since Blood On The Tracks.

9. Alert

Alert Forum Resident

"Not Dark Yet"

"She put down in writin' what was in her mind"

10. chervokas

chervokas Forum Resident

"Not Dark Yet" to me is the only great song on the album, which I never thought was as great an album as everybody else does. (I think the whole period from '97 to now is overrated, frankly, tho' I do really like Love & Theft and Tempest, the latter of which I think is Dylan's best album of the last 25 years.)

I also think "Cold Irons Bound" is really good. I like "Tryin' to Get to Heaven" too. Not really crazy about anything else in the album which is not a record I find myself returning too much. Never really sharrf the love for this one.

davers likes this.
  11. SchuSchu86

SchuSchu86 Forum Resident

Trying to Get to Heaven, but it was hard voting against Not Dark Yet, or Can't Wait

12. Red river bore

Red river bore Well-Known Member

Voted for Not dark yet.
    Goddamn it, what a frustrating record this is. if Bob had included Red river shore (was Marching to the city from TOOM sessions? then that one too) and had also said "Thank you very much for your offer, Mr. Lanois, but I think I will do without your services for this particular record" this would have been ridicolously, outrageously, unbeliavably good

13. LC4O

LC4O Forum Resident

i Think Daniel Lanois made a great job on this Album one of the best Dylan S
    albuns

14. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Senior Member

Love Tryin' To Get To Heaven

15. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

I like a number of these songs a great deal, but "Not Dark Yet" exists on a plane all its own. It occupies a penthouse in the tower of song.

IronWaffle likes this.
  16. Red river bore

he received a lot of praise for his work on TOOM. I don´t get it. I love, and I mean LOVE, what he did for Oh mercy, possibly my favorite Dylan record, but I have no idea what the heck he was trying to do here. That muddy, hazy sound? why?!
    I heard yesterday the version of Can´t wait from Tell tale signs, then the one on TOOM. the first sounds a million times better to me

17. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

Not Dark Yet
    Love Sick

18. LC4O

LC4O Forum Resident

Hi if you read the Daniel lanois Book i think you understand the work arround
    this album

19. "Love Sick" hooked me right from the start with its otherworldly atmospherics. I immediately sensed that Dylan was onto something new and different with this song and LP, and though I think he topped it with Love and Theft, it still holds up really well.

I also consider "Highlands" one of his great 'long numbers', and somehow after many listens still get sucked into the weird storytelling and situations encountered. The bit with the waitress in the restaurant is classic Dylan.

IronWaffle likes this.
  20. Red river bore

Highlands is groovy, haven´t heard it in a long time, I´ll play it now. Actually, I´m listening to the whole record for the 1st time in years.

Surprised to see Make you feel my love getting no love, since it seems to get a lot of appreciation from fans. Maybe people are scared to vote for it now that Adele covered it:winkgrin:

21. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

In 1982, John Mellencamp wrote "Oh yeah, life goes on, long after the thrill of living is gone".

I never understood what he meant until 15 years later when I encountered "Not Dark Yet" and the last third of "Highlands".

Scary to think that Dylan was only a few years older than I am today when he wrote those songs.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
    IronWaffle likes this.
  22. rmath84

rmath84 Forum Resident

Can't vote. Need at least 3 choices.
    "Standing in the Doorway"
    "Tryin' to Get to Heaven"
    "Not Dark Yet"

long gone john likes this.
  23. Tim Wilson

Tim Wilson Forum Resident

That's one of my all-time favorite recordings by anyone, ever, and one of my favorite videos too. All one take, no cuts, locked-down camera, with everyone tucked tight in the frame. It's genuinely hilarious, and rocks insanely hard.

It was interesting to me that the original version won Bob his second Grammy for Best Male Rock Vocal Performance, after also winning it for "Gotta Serve Somebody" in 1980. The Masked & Anonymous version really is a phenomenal rock vocal, though.

I voted for "Cold Irons Bound", but "Not Dark Yet" is pretty remarkable.

Also remarkable to me: how much Bob appears to prefer "Love Sick", at least for the pleasure of performance: 772 performances for that one to date, vs. 423 for "Cold Irons Bound", and only 152 for "Not Dark Yet", which, understandably doesn't fit as smoothly into as many setlists as the others do....but still....that's a pretty striking lead.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
  24. Nipper

Nipper His Master's Voice

Such a great album. This is a very tough choice. I'll give some love to "Tryin' To Get To Heaven".

25. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

"Love Sick" for me. Love the mood, Dylan's vocals and the guitar licks.

"Make You Feel My Love" is now a standard, and deservingly so - the melody is gorgeous (although it took Adele for most to hear it). But, like many standards, the lyrics and sentiments sound a bit shopworn. They don't seem have the depth of some of the other tracks on the album.

Jesus Jeronimo likes this.