Dismiss Notice
We are making some updates and reconfigurations to our server. Apologies for any downtime or slow forum loading now or within the next week or so. Thanks!

POLL: Bob Dylan's Together Through Life - your favourite track?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dave Gilmour's Cat, Nov 27, 2016.

1. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. Solace

Solace Forum Resident

Beyond Here Lies Nothin' as favourite, closely followed by It's All Good. Great swingin' tune! Forgetful Heart is great but came alive better in concert.

Great production on the record with the accordian blends perfectly with the band, adding interesting texture and colour. Inspired choice! Wish the masteriing were a little quieter though....

streetlegal and Nipper like this.
  3. shutdown66

shutdown66 Forum Resident

This dream of you.

RiRiIII likes this.
  4. Red river bore

Red river bore Well-Known Member

I feel a change coming on. One of his most lovable songs, IMO.

****ing miss this record. I never bought my own copy, as it came out when I was totally broke, and I lost the MP3 version I had some time ago. Must do something about this...

Says something about the outrageous quality of Dylan´s last records that this is probably his weakest one of the last 25 years yet it is still sweet as honey

drift61603 and mark ab like this.
  5. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

6. tmwlng

tmwlng Forum Resident

This Dream of You. If Dylan made an album, either in English or in French, croaking out delightfully maudlin chansons such as this I would buy it in a heartbeat. Something about it just gets to me.

streetlegal likes this.
  7. Carserguev

Carserguev Forum Resident

If You Ever Go To houston is gobsmackingly good, infectious music, wonderful lyrics...
    It's All Good almost topples it from the top spot...
    This album tends to get bashed in these parts, and I can't understand it, I love it as much as Modern Times... It's a FUN album.

majorlance likes this.
  8. 905

905 Senior Member

The last Dylan album I love.
    Nothin', with Forgetful Heart in close second.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2016
  9. Nipper

Nipper His Master's Voice

I voted "Forgetful Heart" because it was so great live. Then probably "I Feel A Change Comin' On" or "It's All Good". Also really like "Beyond Here Lies Nothin'", "If You Ever Go To Houston", "This Dream Of You", and "Shake Shake Mama". It's an enjoyable listen, an underrated album.

majorlance and Solace like this.
  10. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

I have to go with the opening track "Beyond Here Lies Nothin' ".
    I've felt it's an enjoyable album, not spectacular, and a bit patchy.

And here is what it looks like:

[​IMG]

11. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

I Feel a Change Comin' On

shutdown66 likes this.
  12. babyblue

babyblue Pactches Pal!

Forgetful Heart, but I really do love the whole album. As someone said above, it's fun! I see it as a Tex-Mex tribute to his old pal Doug Sahm.

majorlance likes this.
  13. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Forum Resident

I only played this album once when it came out. Can't remember anything about it! I just forget it exists. I will go back to it soon because of this thread.

I must admit Dylan's newer material doesn't do much for me, which certainly doesn't make it bad. The last Dylan album I loved and played a lot was Time Out of Mind.

14. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Forum Resident

It's in the vault somewhere, due to be released on the Bootleg series Volume 87.

15. moonshiner

moonshiner Forum Resident

Forgetful heart

shutdown66 likes this.
  16. man in the moon

man in the moon Forum Resident

Not quite as good as Down in the Groove or Knocked about Loaded but still a decent record. Was relieved when Tempest came out to hear lyrical Bob was back to the fore.

17. Red river bore

Red river bore Well-Known Member

Really? Down on the groove is the only Dylan record I´d say is beyond redemption (though I´ve never heard Under the red sky).
    Knocked out loaded I do love, in all it´s glorious dodginess, but I think Together TL is way better than either one of them...

18. Gregorio

Gregorio Forum Resident

This Dream Of You. That track is the one that most impressed me from this album the very first time i heard it. Not so much for the lyrics (that are very good) but musically, i think is the song where the blend of accordion and Dylan's regular band is best accomplished, and is a little strange time signature, being a waltz but not so much a waltz.

streetlegal and smoke like this.
  19. Greg Smith

Greg Smith Forum Resident

I really enjoy the record, probably the most fun Bob has sounded in years. I Feel a Change Comin' On is my fave...

20. Scott6

Scott6 Forum Resident

Forgetful Heart. A song I have to be honest and say I did not full appreciate until he started to perform 'the set' and I saw him play it in London in 2013. Still one of the best Bob shows I have ever witnessed.

21. chervokas

chervokas Forum Resident

I'm with ya on Tempest. I think Tempest is a great album, but I think TTL is just a medocre album, among Dylan's worst. At least DITG had "Silvio" and Loaded had "Brownsville Girl". To me pretty much everything on TTL is completely disposable. It's more consistent sonically and in terms of the caliber of the material than others of Dylan's bad albums, it never reaches the lowest lows. But nothing on it is special to my ears.

Jimmy B. likes this.
  22. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

"Beyond Here Lies Nothin'

23. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

Tossup between Beyond Here Lies Nothin' & I Feel a Change Comin' On. (The latter almost sounds like a Nashville Skyline outtake. Try singing it yourself in that voice & you'll see what I mean. Fun, fun, FUN!)

Call me crazy (it has happened), but with its unassuming quality & rough-n-ready sonics, I enjoy TTL a helluva lot more than the nice-but-overrated Modern Times or the utterly dreadful Tempest. In other words, it's Bob's second-best album this century (the best being Love & Theft, of course).

24. Mr.Sean

Mr.Sean Senior Member

Jolene is a fine tune from this.

Currently spinning.....
    [​IMG]

25. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident Thread Starter

Try ‘This Dream of You’.

Man at C&A likes this.