Poll: Bruce Springsteen or Neil Young

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by marke, Nov 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marke

marke Forum Resident Thread Starter

Two giants of music in the past several decades. Both have written plenty of classics- Born to Run, Old Man, Hungry Heart, Rockin in the Free World etc. and have earned their places in music history. Who do you prefer?

"You know, the difference between the greatness of Bruce Springsteen and that of Neil Young as someone once explained to me back in college: Bruce makes you think you, too, can be as great as he is; Neil makes you think he is really no better than you are to begin with. Remember that."
    Dr. Eric Alterman - Altercation

[​IMG]

quicksrt likes this.
  2. Hippie Saint

Hippie Saint Well-Known Member

Working-Class Hero vs Counter Culture Hero. I guess, everyone knows who'll get my vote.

mikeja75 likes this.
  3. marke

I voted for Neil Young. I counted at least 20 albums by Neil in my collection as opposed to just 6 by Bruce. I admire Neil Young for the dogged determination to follow his own path without regard for commercial considerations. In the eighties alone he did synth-pop, rockabilly and country in the space of a few records. He's one of the few artists who can tackle acoustic beauty and savage, feedback-drenched rock with equal aplomb.

vinyl13, David Ellis and moople72 like this.
  4. Electric Phase

Electric Phase Forum Resident

Neil for me.

Animal77 likes this.
  5. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

Bruce for me. There are plenty of songs by Neil Young that I love, but if you were doing a HAL-style memory erase on me I think I'd want to hang onto the Springsteen ones a bit longer.

6. marke

7. ruben lopez

ruben lopez Nunc Est Bibendum

The Boss has no business when Neil is in the house!:pineapple:

hammer99, Fox67, stef1205 and 3 others like this.
  8. marke

Neil is currently on 23 votes to Bruce's 5 votes. Didn't expect the poll to be this uneven. :)

9. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Mountie vs. Mr Stars n' stripes

10. marke

11. Expectant One

Expectant One Well-Known Member

Neil, quite easily, love that guy. Bruce is ok, though.

12. Freedom Rider

Freedom Rider Senior Member

Neil Young, hands down.

hammer99 likes this.
  13. Aris

Aris Labor Omnia Vincit

Perhaps between Neil and Dylan... would be more appropriate IMO.

Neil Young.

14. marke

Then Neil Young would get slaughtered by Dylan, ten to one. :D

quicksrt and ruben lopez like this.
  15. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

Both great, but I just prefer Neil.

16. brew ziggins

brew ziggins Forum Prisoner

As a Deadhead, I'm a sucker for long, flowing guitar jams. If Bruce's music ran more along those lines, this would be a tougher call for me.

17. Jtycho

Jtycho Forum Resident

Can't decide. Neil for his entire body of work, but I prefer Bruce's best over Neil's best.

Paully likes this.
  18. Aris

Aris Labor Omnia Vincit

Please put a thread with them and we shall soon see. :D

19. Jackson

Jackson Senior Member

I prefer Neil in every way.

Jack likes this.
  20. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Both are brilliant artists. But I much prefer Springsteen's music. I find I rarely listen to Young, but I often listen to Springsteen. Springteen has continued to do great work late in life. I don't think Young's recent work has been anywhere close to the caliber of his earlier work or of Springsteen's later work, so much so that I mostly stopped keeping up with Young after Mirror Ball -- I did hear his last few albums and didn't like them much at all; I though the songwriting on Psychedelic Pill was weak; Americana while it sounded like an interesting idea for an album didn't make for very good listening, Le Noise was just bad and underbaked. By contrast I think some latter day Springsteen, like Magic and Wrecking Ball, were excellent albums. So, I could make the argument that Springsteen's better because he's remained more consistent and more consistently good throughout his career. But of course Young's more prolific and more of an experimenter which is one of the things that's great about him although it's a quality that I think has produced spotty results. It's really just preference. Springsteen's music interests me more and touches me more, but I have profound respect and admiration for Neil Young.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2013
  21. chumlie

chumlie Forum Resident

Neil would get my vote over Dylan too.

oldsurferdude, Emmett66 and Aris like this.
  22. No Contest. Gotta go with my fellow Ontarian.

23. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

Bruce Springsteen.

24. arthurprecarious

arthurprecarious Forum Resident

Can't decide - I've seen em both this year. Both have greatness running through em!

25. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Not a huge fan of either but like & respect both as artists and as human beings. Voted for the boss - just like more of his songs. Interesting that my favourite songs by both are from the Philadelphia ST. "Streets of Philadelphia" by Bruce & "Philadelphia" by Neil.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.