Poll: Dark Side of the Moon 30th Anniversary vs 2016 BG Vinyl

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dorian75, Nov 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Had a 2003 and hated it. Noisy beyond belief:cheers:

Old Rusty likes this.
  2. Victor Martell

Victor Martell Forum Resident

I am glad that this comment made the thread pop up the top so I could see it. I definitely have something to say - I will probably need, to use a late 90s internet term, flame retardant shorts.

All things being equal and assuming there is no confirmation bias, I would say that if the 2003 30th is sibilant and only listenable on higher end equipment, then it is a defective product.

Own, on vinyl, the 1979 Mo-Fi, the 2013 and the 2016 BG - easily, the best is the 2003 SACD - no sibilance on my modest setup!

v

3. Farthingscat

Farthingscat Forum Resident

Not a fan of the 2003 either.....
    Early A3 B3 is my go to copy, quite Japan issue too.

8 copes and vinyl - mildly obsessed by this fantastic record!

Digital wide disc 6 on the box set is an absolute must!

4. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Personally I prefer the UK original and MFSL over the 2016 Grundman. Havnt heard the 30th yet though.

5. Leonthepro

nope. Unless you go for 7" singles.

6. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Easily trumps the 2016? I don’t think so and not on my system.

7. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters

I didn't think so either.

Tommyboy likes this.
  8. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I try to be careful about using comments like easily trumps. It’s over exaggerating and besides it’s all system dependent anyway.

Recently I was scrolling through the Queen vinyl remasters thread and you’d think that the 2015 recut of Sheer Heart Attack was a big fail. I’m playing the LP now and it sounds pretty decent to me. I also have an early U.K. EMI pressing too. I’m not saying the 2015 version is better but it’s not a subpar sounding version either.

DPC likes this.
  9. Kristofferabild

Kristofferabild Forum Resident

I just got the 2016 edition and to my ears it sounds better than my old vinyl from the 80s and my SACD.
    Also the old tape slow down on "The Great Gig In the Sky" has been fixed.

Jack likes this.
  10. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

I can tell you that in a shootout done shortly after the 30th Anniversary edition came out, it didn't do great next to an original UK Harvest. I haven't heard the 2016 Grundman, but the 30th should not be used as a high standard.

Old Rusty, Exotiki, Solace and 2 others like this.
  11. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

I agree with this. While I do enjoy the 30th, it does not have the smooth, balanced tone and natural extension of the early UK copies.

jgrillo and Solace like this.
  12. Leonthepro

Didnt know about that. I prefer my MFSL and UK original to the 2016 but it is good indeed. Especially for the money.

13. Leonthepro

Lower EQ basically is what Im guessing.

14. AnalogJ

And the air! There is so much air and space on the original UK. The 30th, as I recall, sounded a bit thick and dark. Apparently the problem was with post mastering process, as the test pressings for the 30th, done at RTI, were supposed to have sounded great. The commercial pressings, however, were done in a plant in Holland to save money. A reviewer who heard both said that they botched the commercial release.

15. AnalogJ

In the shootout, the MFSL came way down on the list. The 30th was better.

The MFSL has the suckout EQ (and I own it), sounded thick, inert, and lacked air. The midrange on the 30th is better. The original UK in its own league.

This shootout, by the way, was done at a high end audio shop with about a dozen people including a professional audio print magazine reviewer.

16. Jeremy B.

Jeremy B. Forum Resident

The 30th has a tiny bit of sibilance on Money and Time. It's really not so bad on my setup.

The quality of the vinyl is a different story.

17. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

When I listened to records one of the copies of this album that I had was the 30th anniversary releses. I thought it sounded great, no issues with playback and my pressing was perfect. I never owned the 2016 release.

Efus and Flusani like this.
  18. Leonthepro

The MFSL has lots of air I think.

Am I supposed to be impressed by where the shootout took place?

19. AnalogJ

You don't seem to care about context, do you.

You haven't heard the UK have you? Sometimes you don't realize how dirty the window is until you clean it.

20. Leonthepro

No. If anything it makes it worse since I assume you didnt sit in the perfect listening spot in the middle and sounds like an opportunity for lots of peer pressure.

I have 2 UK.

erowid likes this.
  21. AnalogJ

Which ones?

22. Leonthepro

A3/B3 and A3/B2. The A3/B2 is under my turntable mat.

23. Curiosity

Curiosity Just A Boy

The 2016 at least the European pressing plays well with most set ups with the clocks striking cleanly and no sibilance on Time and for anyone just wanting a great new vinyl version can be recommended. My my late 80's UK pressing has a little more air around it but is a bit noisier even though its near mint.
    To be honest this one album you'd struggle to get a really bad cut on and much will come down to personal mastering preferences.

24. DBMartin

DBMartin Forum Resident

My EU 2016 pressing sounds great, and I have a lovely (but quite noisy) UK A3/B2, but I'm still intrigued by the idea of owning the 30th anniversary edition some day. Too bad so many people experience bad pressing quality and excessive sibilance on that release. Since my turntable is a pretty cheap AT LP120USB (with a nice VM540ML cartridge), I guess there's no need to spend a lot of money on a clean 30th anniversary edition that will only really shine on higher end record players?

25. Leonthepro

The record player does little in terms of sound. Theres no issue playing any record on your setup.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.