Dismiss Notice
We are making some updates and reconfigurations to our server. Apologies for any downtime or slow forum loading now or within the next week or so. Thanks!

Poll: “Dear God” by XTC-opinions on this song

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Twelvepitch, Jun 10, 2021 at 12:40 AM.

1. Twelvepitch

Twelvepitch I'm the tape guy... duh! Thread Starter

Hey all.
    Either you love or hate this song. It’s a sardonic song about agnosticism-“Dear God” by XTC.
    The writer Andy Partridge got a LOT of hate because of this song and its harsh irreligious lyrics-but what do you think of it? Vote in the poll above and post in the thread your opinion.
    Thanks!
    Ryan

rkt88 likes this.
  2. Gnome de Plume

Gnome de Plume Forum Resident

It's a great song from a fantastic album. Reminds me of my army days in Germany. Todd Rundgren did an amazing job with the production.

3. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member

Whether or not you agree with the opinion expressed in it, the lyrics are pretty clever and it sounds great. I love it.

4. Uncle Miles

Uncle Miles Wafting in and out of Forum

This was the first XTC song I heard that got my attention. I wound up preferring the Oranges And Lemons album to the album Dear God comes from, but it’s a memorable, bouncy piece of pop music nonetheless

5. robcar

robcar Forum Resident

Great song and especially great for a b-side.

6. rkt88

rkt88 The unknown soldier

wonderful. love also the pizzicato strings bit where the guy sings about "the debil".

it's a classic of the time. for "all" time? you decide.

just had a thought ( rare ). if one were to compare the xtc song to that godawful "what if god were one of us" song?

dear god would reside in the pantheon along with the other gods lol

7. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

I am Agnostic, so love the lyrics, as they are spot on. That being said, I also love and sing along to Songs by Spiritualized and Spacemen 3 with Religious Lyrics that mention the Lord, Jesus, Heaven, etc.

As far as the Music for ‘Dear God’ there was no option in this poll, ‘It’s a Great Song’, so I did not vote. It is one of the Best Melodic Pop Songs created in the past 40-50 years-IMO.

Also, a Great Video, which adds to the impact of this Song:

8. blaken123

blaken123 Your Greater Tri-County CD Superstore

I'm agnostic, and while I agree with the philosophy of the lyrics, they are a little bit "I'm 14 and this is deep". The tune is very good though. I think that the most blasphemous thing about the song is not its message but the fact that it booted the MUCH better Mermaid Smiled from some editions of Skylarking!

linklinc, zbarbera, Geee! and 5 others like this.
  9. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Forum Resident

i think the song is funny and catchy with the little kid singing and stuff. its probably the only song i remember from the skylarking period back in the 80s.

i even bought the skylarking reissue that includes the song,
    XTC – Skylarking (2018, 200g, Vinyl)

10. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

11. Mother

Mother Forum Resident

Magnificent song. Powerful stuff from a musical genius and one of the great bands. Incredibly left off the original tracklist for Skylarking.

12. rkt88

as everyone gets religion in a wartime fox hole? many are agnostic until they leave here lol. ( kidding )

but "14 and deep" is more along the lines of "throw me in the shallow water, before i get too deep".

John Fever M.D. likes this.
  13. rkt88

thanks for posting. it helps for us not to have to search.

it's as wonderful a song as i ever remember.

however. i wouldn't mind at all - a reduction in the price of beer.

14. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

I haven't heard it in sometime, what makes it agnostic and not atheist?

Perhaps it didn't mesh well with the overall theme/tone of Skylarking?

Electric and Simoon like this.
  15. Goggen

Goggen Forum Resident

Don’t like songs with kids singing…

16. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Forum Resident

Not sure what else ya want from a song. So great.

Guess it’s the I hate Stairway or How Soon is Now thing. Something becomes iconic and ya don’t like it. But Dear God holds up for me. So much it overshadows lots of other really cool XTC stuff

17. Mother

Mother Forum Resident

Yes I think that was the theory behind it's absence initially. Todd put it back on much to Andy's chagrin (or vice versa).

AFOS likes this.
  18. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

It's a really neat piece of songwriting and certainly one of my top five XTC songs (although I'm not wild about XTC so that probably doesn't mean anything). As always with XTC it always sounds to me like it should come with a big sign that says "HEY, LOOK, OVER HERE AT HOW CLEVER I AM" but it certainly is moderately clever.

For songs on this subject I much prefer "God's Song (That's Why I Love Mankind)" by Randy Newman because he makes you feel it, whereas Partridge doesn't.

19. Ryan Lux

Ryan Lux Forum Resident

He certainly makes me feel it. The odds of writing a hit song like this were (and are) so astronomically low. He somehow pulled it off. No 14 year old could write something like this. Obviously the subject is endlessly deep but this is a pop song and the lyrics actually cover quite a lot of ground in a short time, IMHO.

20. YardByrd

YardByrd rock n roll citizen in a hip hop world

on the plus side, it's very catchy... if I hear it, I'm humming it for the rest of the day... on the negative side, it's incredibly sophomoric lyrically... I expect more from Andy when it comes to the lyric... mind you, it's not the subject matter itself I'm objecting to... I could care less... it's just Andy handles it in a very ham-handed way... it's just so obvious... I would expect more poignancy and insight from a lyricist of Andy's ability... instead he trots out every cliche in the book... yawn...

blaken123 and Tristero like this.
  21. Duncan Day

Duncan Day Middle Aged Savage

Not a fan but I don’t really like XTC post Black Sea, apart from Nonsuch and a couple of random tracks.

22. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

I love this song. The only thing I'm not mad about is the kid's singing. I'm not averse to the idea in principle, I just don't think it was well performed.

23. trickness

trickness Gotta painful yellow headache

It’s a BRILLIANT song

24. DELLOTRON

DELLOTRON Forum Resident

Andy got up in his attic and gave me his acetate of it. Townhouse 10" uncut and all. I hug it regularly.

25. chervokas

chervokas Forum Resident

It's a good song. Well crafted. Catchy. Different, at least as to its subject matter, for popular music. It has a bit of a novelty song effect that kind of wears off somewhat after the first listen. It's not something I would or did buy a copy of or care to listen to again. But I remember it as an FM hit of its day, and I have to say, for the purpose of this poll "it's a good song."